Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
BackInTheNam

A slightly complicated what amp thread, Open to any suggestions

Hello, first I apologize if you guys see these all the time, however I am asking because I simply do not have as much experience as everyone put together. i haven't been able to try everything, and there are amps with reliability issues. The more I research about amps, the more I want a fire extinguisher handy

I will follow the guidelines for a what amp thread, however I want to point out that I am using a Dunlop Heil Talkbox. This requires me to have a head and cabinet, unless of course there are any combo amps out there that you can hook up a talk box to. If that exists please let me know. Also it would be cool if the amp could take my crybaby fine, it sounds like some amps don't take effects very well.

Budget - Well around 1000 tops would be nice. Cheaper would be appreciated though

Genres - Well I listen to everything, but predominately a tone that can cover Dream Theater and Van Halen. I'm sorry if that's a weird combination. However to make it almost impossible I also play anything including Satch, Vai, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, Clapton, Hendrix, Al Di Meola, and stuff like Stone Sour and Avenged Sevenfold. To sum it up in one word, Versatility. Unfotunately I want a diverse amp that does those tones good. Effects would be cool, I am actually partial to foot controllers because then I can switch things on and off like a pedalboard. While my zoom pedal has effects it can't function like a pedalboard and as a result you have to switch presets a lot. Also if you have any other suggestions of a good layout like a floor effects and tube amp go right ahead.

New or Used - Preferrably new, but used would be cool if it isn't beat up

Home or Gig - Mostly home but trying to gig too as soon as I can actually find a band. So the ability to be relatively low in volume sometimes is nice.

Closest City - Tampa, Florida

Current Gear - Epiphone Valve jr with zoom g2.1nu. Dunlop Crybaby and Dunlop Heil talkbox. Ibanez RG 220B with Seymour Duncan Custom Custom and Dimarzio Liquifire.

I know thats asking a lot so I apologize ahead of time Sorry and thank you.
BackInTheNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Mesa MKIV. You'll probably have to look used though.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
gerraguitar

5150?
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

A Peavey JSX wouldn't be a bad choice.

Look into the Mesa Mark V - it's a bit over budget, but worth looking into IMO.

It sounds like you want to do a MIDI setup with your FX - in that case look into the JSX - it's about half your budget, the other half can be used on a MIDI setup (something like a Line 6 POD HD500 or Boss GT-100 & an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo).

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 02-03-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
BackInTheNam

Both sound awesome on paper, I've just never seen either in person though. I wish I could try them before hand. I'm sorry if its a pain but I'd prefer the head and cab.

On a side note should I steer clear from modelers? It seems ike a mixed bag. Vypyr sounds tempting with the head for $189. But it sounds like there are reliability issues.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
Mesa MKIV. You'll probably have to look used though.

x2 one guy found one for 850 used. They are starting to drop under 1k.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
BackInTheNam

Well as they drop and I save a little more we'll be good lol. How is the vypyr and sanpera ii offworld92? Of course your guys' suggestions would sound better though lol
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheNam
Both sound awesome on paper, I've just never seen either in person though. I wish I could try them before hand. I'm sorry if its a pain but I'd prefer the head and cab.

On a side note should I steer clear from modelers? It seems ike a mixed bag. Vypyr sounds tempting with the head for $189. But it sounds like there are reliability issues.

Nothing wrong with the Vypyr Tube. I wouldn't bother with the smaller ones. I think most people would expect you to want a more elaborate setup considering your budget though.

EDIT ^ I love my Vypyr, but I upgraded to JSX & Boss stuff for flexibility, reliability and durability reasons. The Vypyrs are all MIC, so they don't really have the build quality that Peavey is known for, unfortunately. And while the Vypyr is one of the best practice/backup amp I know of, it is a bit limited due to it's WYSIWYG interface. So it really depends on what exactly you need, and how rough you're going to be (playing at home vs gigging).

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 02-03-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
BackInTheNam

Yeah I understand lol, I thought all the good amps were like 2-3 grand. The used prices are awesome on these, I'm actually surprised. I am kind of concerned with buying used because I'm worried things will start to go.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Amps aren't like cars (fortunately). If you're getting a good, high quality amp, the only things that will "go" are tubes, and that's absolutely normal.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
BackInTheNam

That's good to know about the vypyrs, one thing that kind of bugged me was that you can't set delay in miliseconds and that you can't pick a type lik an analog sound for example. .. Yeah I guess I'm anal retentive lol
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
BackInTheNam

How would you find these used? Whenever I've been to a samash or guitar center I can't seem to find things like these.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Craigslist. I have auto searches for keywords of brands I care about set up on my phone, I usually get 20-50 listings per day.

Other than that, to be perfectly honest a lot of the time you can't try stuff out. That's just the way the game goes. That's why I advocate buying used so strongly - if you get something, and you don't like it, you can sell it back and basically break even. Maybe a small loss or profit. You gain the knowledge and experience of that amp, with no real loss.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
BackInTheNam

It seems lie the majority of times I've checked craigslist people are just selling spiders and starter stuff. I guess I should also take my time too. I've tried things like a marshall valvestate at a mom and pop place and didn't wind up liking it. I also tried the mg head... now I understand why its not necessarily the most liked amp around.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
BackInTheNam

Thanks for the re-assurance everyone, I didn't think these amps could ever be in my budget. Just so I don't have to start another thread and bug more people, Does anyone have experience in a Sterling JP, EVH Wolfgang special, or Kramer Pacer Classic? I'm looking to upgrade my guitar too. Those seem like the most appealing options to me and I was wondering if they were good.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
BackInTheNam

I apologize for adding yet another post, I guess I can't delete the one above. Even though my budget is $1000 I'm actually looking for a head and a 4x12. While I couldn't agree more that your suggestions are more than awesome amps, the head alone sometimes go over my budget. I am looking for a 4x12 because while my 1x12 isn't bad, but I don't think it would suit the setup I want. Are there any full half stacks that you guys can suggest?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #17
AWACS
I want all of the things

BackInTheNam, you can edit your posts. Also, I would recommend a 2x12 cab. Big enough to sound "full", but small enough that you can put it in a car to take it to a gig.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheNam
I apologize for adding yet another post, I guess I can't delete the one above. Even though my budget is $1000 I'm actually looking for a head and a 4x12. While I couldn't agree more that your suggestions are more than awesome amps, the head alone sometimes go over my budget. I am looking for a 4x12 because while my 1x12 isn't bad, but I don't think it would suit the setup I want. Are there any full half stacks that you guys can suggest?

I'm sure you can find a JSX and a 4x12 for under 1K. If you can stretch go for a mark IV.

Mark IV combo- http://sarasota.craigslist.org/msg/3530631819.html don't limit yourself to a half stack....

JSX 500 http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/3556312571.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/3523360401.html 575 JSX

Use an amp stand to get either a combo or a 2x12 off the floor.

Last edited by R45VT : 02-03-2013 at 11:31 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/...rc=jsx&src=jsx+ pick the cheapest one
this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...312-i2925373.gc because it has good quality and real nice speakers

Very little over budget, like maybe $100 over or so.

edit: ^ yeah what he said.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #20
BackInTheNam

Since the jsx got cancelled would I be able to find it in a store? I like to try things and take my time with them.

Rate This Thread: