Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
lightningjoe88

Question 2 Amp heads to one cab?

Hey everyone,
So my most recent purchase was a vintage Marshall JCM800 1960 4x12 cabinet with Celestion 75s in it (for $300!) and it rocks with my Marshall head. Unlike other cabinets I've owned, the Marshall cab only has one input for one head to plug into. Would there be a way I can split that and plug 2 heads (If I bought another) into the cabinet and A/B the heads with a pedal, or would I just have to buy another cabinet for that and plug the other head into that? Thanks

- Joe
09 Gibson Firebird Studio w/ vintage SDs > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Xotic SP Comp > Russian EHX Big Muff Pi > EHX Soul Food > TC Electronic Nova Delay > BBE Sonic Stomp > ADA Flanger > Koch Multitone > Avatar Contemporary 2x12 w/ Celestion Creambacks
lightningjoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Oldmonkeys
- Also known as Matt

this will do exactly what you want

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

Gretsch Setzer Hot Rod
Gretsch Power Jet
Fender Tele
Wizard Modern Classic
Vox Lil' Night Train
Hame 2x12

[- "Uncool Aussie" of the Pedalboard Thread -]
Oldmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
lightningjoe88

Thanks a ton for your help brother
09 Gibson Firebird Studio w/ vintage SDs > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Xotic SP Comp > Russian EHX Big Muff Pi > EHX Soul Food > TC Electronic Nova Delay > BBE Sonic Stomp > ADA Flanger > Koch Multitone > Avatar Contemporary 2x12 w/ Celestion Creambacks
lightningjoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
jetwash69

Or if you don't mind modding it, you can re-wire it like the modern cabs to make it stereo. Then run one head through the left speakers and the other through the right.

That'll be a lot cheaper, but wouldn't be an option if you want to keep the cab original.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
ChrisBW

I would just rewire the cab to run stereo with an A/B switch. Since the Headbone isn't a loadbox, you can't run delay in the effects loop though. Anything that's still sending a signal in the effects loop (directly into the power amp) when you switch isn't going to be a good idea, you'll mess up the Headbone, your amp, or both. I think you could make sure everything is off before you switch? The manual says don't use anything in the FX loop though. I'm not sure all the details but when I was looking into one I just screw it and saved myself the money.

That said, if you don't use anything in your FX loop, go for it. I just think that thing is way expensive when you could simply rewire your speakers.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBW
I would just rewire the cab to run stereo with an A/B switch. Since the Headbone isn't a loadbox, you can't run delay in the effects loop though. Anything that's still sending a signal in the effects loop (directly into the power amp) when you switch isn't going to be a good idea, you'll mess up the Headbone, your amp, or both. I think you could make sure everything is off before you switch? The manual says don't use anything in the FX loop though. I'm not sure all the details but when I was looking into one I just screw it and saved myself the money.

That said, if you don't use anything in your FX loop, go for it. I just think that thing is way expensive when you could simply rewire your speakers.

The headbone is a loadbox.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
The headbone is a loadbox.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkAbove
Hit the footswitch and the Headbone toggles the guitar signal from one amp to the other, disconnects the speaker and diverts the signal to a load resister, reconnects the speaker to the second head and turns on the guitar, all in quick succession. The Headbone features SafeMode™ whereby even when power is disconnected; the Headbone will automatically default to 'head-1 to cabinet' status, ensuring a constant load on the amplifier.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: