Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
JoryL

SG with Lyre Vibrato Tailpiece

Hello

Does anyone here have any experience with an SG with a Lyre Vibrato Tailpiece? I am looking at buying either a 61 Reissue SG or the new SG Original (which has the Lyre Vibrato Tailpiece), however, I've heard very mixed reviews on the Lyre. I've heard that sometimes they come out of tune very easily when not even using the vibrato, which sort of turns me off to the new "SG Original" model. If the consensus is that they don't go out of when not using it, how well do they handle actual use? I'm not planning on doing seriously ridiculous whammage with it, but just the occasional "wiggle" here and there. Also one other question... Will its reliability go down if I use lower tunings on it? Tunings like those used by Black Sabbath, Sleep, Electric Wizard, etc. (which usually range from Standard to 2~ whole steps down?)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JoryL : 02-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.
JoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
JoryL

Bump.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The Gibson "Lyre" vibrato is not one of the better tremolo designs, to be sure. Most people seem to end up removing the arm so as not to use the device. Some guitars with the Lyre stay in tune very well (as long as you aren't using the tremolo much), while others tend to go badly out of tune quite often. Alex Lifeson of Rush has one on his white ES-355 and he seems happy with it - he's never replaced it, but he saves his more adventerous solos for his Floyd Rose-equipped Les Paul Access.

As for down-tuning, unless you are tuning down to ridiculous, floppy-string tunings, it should not make a noticeable difference.

You'd really have to play the guitar in question and see how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
monwobobbo

they require a good setup and a really well slotted nut to stay in tune. you also have to be carefull how you rest your hand on the bridge as that can cause tuning issues. frank marino used then for many years and did some fairly crazy whammying with them. not sure how well it would do downtuned though. string tension on the bridge may be an issue.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
JoryL

The lowest I'd ever go is to C Standard, but that would be pretty rare. I was just curious because I've heard people have issues with it while it's not even being used.

Last edited by JoryL : 02-08-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Rate This Thread: