Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Tight bass question

I'm forever trying to get a tighter bass sound in my tone, and lust after an incredibly tight low end. But what actually is it that makes a bass sound tight, or muddy? This might be a really difficult question to answer, because I can't think why myself. I understand that different speakers/amps/pickups etc produce different frequencies and some lead to a muddier or more tighter sounding low end, but exactly what makes up this sound? Would it be the frequencies themselves?

Sorry if this seems a really silly question or pointless, I just feel I could figure out how to get the tone I'm after if I were to understand what produced it. Cheers!
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

It is indeed the frequencies...

I could help more if I knew excatly what gear you are running.

Generally, I think the first place to start would be with an EQ pedal. I recommend the 10-band by MXR. If youre still having troubles, I would then try a new speaker, or cab....

Like I said, it would help more if we knew what your using gear wise.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
ikey_

EQ, amp itself, strings can play a part, SPEAKERS play a large part...and of course the EQ and quality of your effects as well.

pickups do as well. its all one chain.

if i had to say the big 2, its amp and speakers.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

The amp has the largest impact.

We don't know what you are using... Help us help you
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

I'm using a Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube. It has the Blue Marvel Classic 8 ohm speaker in it. I do run an MXR 10 band eq as well and found reducing 250Hz by about 10dB tightened it up a lot, as well as boosting the 64dB by about 10dB. I do plan on getting a new amp sometime this year, though no immediate plans are in place, I know it's not the best amp, but it's better than the Laney LX and boss metalzone setup I had before.

It's not so much I desire to get the tightest sound possible out of this amp and want a new one so quickly, but more that I want to understand what it is, which frequencies it is, that make the low end sound tighter on some amps/speakers.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I can't tell you off hand what frequencie it is that controls the most bass responce, besides telling you that its the lower once ( first 4 or so bands on the left side of the pedal)

I owned a bandit once, its a very thin amp. If you're running the EQ with it properly, and its still sounding too thin for you, I don't know what else to say, besides get a new amp??

The bandits are okay as beginner amps, but you will never get a great, tight tone out of it.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Talk about polishing a turd.... Kidding.

Have you tried a boost up front like a TS9 to tighten the bass up?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

For tighter bass drop the low frequencies and boost the low mids slightly I always do this for recordings, but as stated above, the bandit is a beginner amp and is probably just not capable of the sound you're after.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Guys, I'm aware my amp isn't best suited to the tones I'm after. For the most part, I'm unhappy with my amp other than getting okay practice level sounds. I just want to know exactly how amps do get that tight low end, not so much how to do it with my own set up.

I could go and test loads of amps and find the perfect one (have played a 6505+ which is probably the go to amp for tight low end without spending an utter fortune), but I also like to produce music and knowing frequencies is of great interest to me.

Rate This Thread: