Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
metallica_esp

Need Help for creating solos - Rock/Metal

Hey there guys, I was wondering if someone could please help me learn how to improvise and write my own solos. Mine always end up sounding bland, like straight up pentatonics etc, i want to learn styles like Hammett and Mustaine etc, and also other players like david gilmour, slash, but i just cant seem to pick it up. All of my improvisations sound pretty much the same, I'd really appreciate some help,
Thanks very much Kayne
metallica_esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar

Have you tried incorporating some of your favorite player's licks into your solos?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
metallica_esp

yeah ive tried maybe im not structuring it right or something, but to me it just sounds like a jumbled mess
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Acou97

try improvising to some of your favourite solos, play along in their pauses, and continue after the solo ends, or even try improvising an extended solo over an entire song, take the parts you improvised that you like and work from them
david gilmour use to play "extended solos" then go back listen to them over and over and take the parts he wanted, both comfortably numb solos were written that way
Acou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
metallica_esp

ive started to give that a go, it working well with song like unforgiven and fade to black, but im really stuck on how to write a solo for heavier songs like more thrashy metallica and megadeth :/
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
Funk Monk

You have to start slow man. Practice will make you "unstuck".
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
CaptainCanti
Banned

Its good to go off of pentatonic, sometimes, but make sure you're complimenting the melody.
CaptainCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
nitarsh

First, listen to the song (the backing track) several times and let ur brain play a solo over it.. don't think about pentatonics or stuff.. just let ur mind play what you feel like playing.. do that several times until you remember every part of the solo you created. Now come the hard part. You need to play that solo over your guitar. This might take some time, but the results will be aw3some.
nitarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Funk Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitarsh
First, listen to the song (the backing track) several times and let ur brain play a solo over it.. don't think about pentatonics or stuff.. just let ur mind play what you feel like playing.. do that several times until you remember every part of the solo you created. Now come the hard part. You need to play that solo over your guitar. This might take some time, but the results will be aw3some.

+1

Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitarsh

Exactly this.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
mitch311
UG's only guitarist

A very important thing is learning heaps of solos by ear. Helps a lot
mitch311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
bondmorkret

The guys you mentioned tend to use pentatonic scales as a basic framework, and add to that. Try combining Minor Pentatonic scales from the 2nd, 3rd and 6th in an major key (D,E & A in C major), or try learning the dorian mode and using that to improvise over minor chord type grooves. There's a free lesson pack on dorian improvisation on my site that might help

Rate This Thread: