User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
Ziphoblat
Crimpity

Quote:
Originally Posted by willop
And yes, playing bass alone I think can be boring...next campfire whip out your bass and start playing and see what happens. Same for drums too. But get out a 6 string and you're the center of attention.

Honestly there isn't much that can make me yawn harder than when someone pulls out their acoustic guitar and starts showing off the four basic triad chords that they know. Play this well on bass and you'll grab peoples attention:

Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #42
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willop
Les Claypool started on guitar but found more gigs by playing bass.

Citation please, cause that's a new one on me. All the interviews I've read said he wanted to play the "instrument with the low tones".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #43
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

People might have more respect for bassists if there wasnt alot of them just gently riding on root notes safely pumping along with quarter notes. Now not all Bassists do this, and I dont either but alot of lazy musicians choose Bass sense if you wanted to you could get by doing the least work which ruins the reputation for alot of us. Gets to the point where alot of others think the bassists Job is JUST putting down a laid back simplistic groove.

The same thing happens with Guitarists, hot headed ego Guitarists ruin the reputations for the ones who are nice and humble etc.

Honestly the ones who show no respect for the bassist who might be talented probably have no respect for others in the band aswell.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #44
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Mark Hoppus. The personification of revered incompetence.

I don't even know who that guy is, he can't be too revered as a bass player.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #45
willop

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
Citation please, cause that's a new one on me. All the interviews I've read said he wanted to play the "instrument with the low tones".

As a youth, Claypool originally played guitar prior to taking up the bass. He later remarked: "I could've been a guitar player, but back then everybody wanted to be a guitar player, because everybody wanted to be Eddie Van Halen. I knew that if I got a bass, I could at least get a gig."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Claypool
willop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #46
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
People might have more respect for bassists if there wasnt alot of them just gently riding on root notes safely pumping along with quarter notes. Now not all Bassists do this, and I dont either but alot of lazy musicians choose Bass sense if you wanted to you could get by doing the least work which ruins the reputation for alot of us. Gets to the point where alot of others think the bassists Job is JUST putting down a laid back simplistic groove.

The same thing happens with Guitarists, hot headed ego Guitarists ruin the reputations for the ones who are nice and humble etc.

Honestly the ones who show no respect for the bassist who might be talented probably have no respect for others in the band aswell.

That might be true but I don't see nothing wrong with playing simple basslines. If it fits the song well, why not play? Runnin with the Devil is so awesome song because of its simple bassline. It would lose its balls if it didn't have that quarter note open E/A string bassline throughout the whole song (except behind the guitar solo).

Also root notes sound the best. I usually try to land on root note when the chord changes and after that play something else. Playing only thirds and fifths/ lots of them and not that many root notes doesn't sound that good. I don't get it why everybody is against root notes.

People should listen to the whole picture, not just how the bassline sounds like. But yeah, it might still be the reason why not so many people play bass because they think they need to play that kind of stuff. But I see nothing wrong with that kind of simple basslines and sometimes I enjoy playing them if they fit the song well. But I don't see the bassist as lazy if he plays a simple line. It's the listener who thinks bassists are lazy because of the simple bassline.

But nor are most guitar riffs really more complex. But yeah, guitarists can play solos. Also I enjoy playing guitar alone more than bass. I think guitar sounds good without any backing tracks but bass kind of needs backing track because it's more like a rhythm instrument (same as drums). Not saying you can't play solo bass songs but many times it just feels it lacks something if you play a bassline alone (of course depends a lot on the song and the genre). For example if we take Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N' Roses, the guitar and bass pretty much play the same but the guitar part is more fun to play alone than the bass part. Though, rock is pretty guitar-driven music and that might be the reason why guitar parts are more fun to play alone. Band playing is a different thing of course because there your part doesn't need to sound good alone or be the most fun to play.

We play music, guitar or bass is not just playing the most advanced/fun stuff you can. We play what the song needs us to play, no matter how advanced or fun the part itself is.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 02-06-2013 at 06:05 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #47
Ziphoblat
Crimpity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Noble
I don't even know who that guy is, he can't be too revered as a bass player.

Eh... then I don't know what to say . Sold plenty of albums, several number ones, even has his own Fender signature. He has plenty of fans who like to revere him as the "best bassist of all time" (what a ridiculous concept) despite playing nothing but root notes 99% of the time (and having to sit down live when he isn't just playing root notes). Pretty unimaginative playing.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #48
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Eh... then I don't know what to say . Sold plenty of albums, several number ones, even has his own Fender signature. He has plenty of fans who like to revere him as the "best bassist of all time" (what a ridiculous concept) despite playing nothing but root notes 99% of the time (and having to sit down live when he isn't just playing root notes). Pretty unimaginative playing.

I know plenty of people who love Mark Hoppus, but none who revere him for his technical ability on bass or the complexity (or lack thereof) of his basslines. I've always figured that he's beloved as a bassist because he's part of the personality and chemistry that is Blink 182.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #49
Ziphoblat
Crimpity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
I know plenty of people who love Mark Hoppus, but none who revere him for his technical ability on bass or the complexity (or lack thereof) of his basslines. I've always figured that he's beloved as a bassist because he's part of the personality and chemistry that is Blink 182.

I can understand that sentiment. I'm not a huge fan but I have nothing against the guy... my experience with his fans however... well, yikes. The "best bassist in the world" bit says it all really.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #50
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I think punk needs that kind of simple and tight basslines. I really haven't listened to Blink 182 though. But yeah, I wouldn't call him the best bassist in the world (like I wouldn't call AC/DC's bassists the best in the world). But I think they are more appreciated as musicians. They can write catchy songs and because of that they are also hailed as good bassists.

I think it's kind of the same as Kurt Cobain is hailed as a guitarist, even though IMO he was just a good musician and a songwriter and that's where all his skills were. He could play the songs he wrote on guitar but I think he was primarily a musician, not a guitarist.

What I mean by musician is that musician plays music, guitarist plays guitar riffs and solos. A guitarist can be a musician but not all guitarists are really good musicians (at least the average bedroom shredders). Musicians think in music, guitarists think in tabs and scales.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #51
Usernames sucks

Haha, i feel with you dude! My bands bassist was a guitarist who had never played bass, but it worked out. Now he is moving, so we hang up posters and searched trough basicly everyone we knew about (we live in a place with only 14000 pepole). One guy showed up though, but he was 50 and we are 15-18...
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #52
jaybyrnelfc

Bassists are really the coolest members of the bands regardless of how good they are.
Phil Lynott <3 ,Sting ,Flea and Paul McCartney
jaybyrnelfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #53
jaybyrnelfc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos

Blink 182 are my favourite band and I love Mark but he is a pretty average bassist nothing amazing same for tom on guitar.Travis is great though IMO but I know little about good drummers.

I feel he is more of a vocalist and songwriter than bassist.
jaybyrnelfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #54
RyanStorm13

I thought all guitarists learn to play bass??? I mean how is it possible that you can play guitar but not bass, even though your surrounded by them all the time. Of course I am not a great drummer, but I can still play them if you want a beat.

I mean I didn't get any guitar gigs till I ran the bass for awhile.

I think most bassist do what I did, and get on board with the bass, and try and land on rythmn guitar later, with a slight hope of getting lead(you normally have to make your band if you want lead guitar).
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #55
Ziphoblat
Crimpity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanStorm13
I think most bassist do what I did, and get on board with the bass, and try and land on rythmn guitar later, with a slight hope of getting lead(you normally have to make your band if you want lead guitar).

I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #56
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
I thought all guitarists learn to play bass??? I mean how is it possible that you can play guitar but not bass, even though your surrounded by them all the time. Of course I am not a great drummer, but I can still play them if you want a beat.

Said just about every guitar player ever, until they actually sat down at a kit and tried to learn drums properly. I don't know what it is about drums. You never get anyone who goes "hey look, a trumpet! Mind if I blast out a few notes?" and yet every time someone new comes round to my house, they immediately think they can just sit on my kit and be a drum god. It's not until I try and teach them to play an actual drum beat that they realise that playing drums is not just a complete piece of piss like they thought it was going to be.

Quote:
I mean I didn't get any guitar gigs till I ran the bass for awhile.

You are not most people. Just because you would rather play the guitar than bass, that isn't how everyone feels. Not by a long shot. I tried teaching one of my friends to play the electric guitar but he simply wasn't interested. His heart lies in bass and bass alone. That's just an example obviously, but I think you will find there are a lot of people who just don't want to play the guitar.

Last edited by eddiehimself : 02-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #57
RyanStorm13

Here is the deal around 1999, Jr High didn't have Bass class, they had Guitar Class. So everyone played some guitar, cause even non-guitarists were in the class.

The first time I ever played bass was while playing a song in a "band", and was in band playing bass for about a year before I ever owned one. Its not like you could hear how bad I sucked under the fully cranked bad guitar playing and kid pounding on his older brothers drums.

So picking up bass was an after thought from jamming at my friends older brothers house, who had a band room. But was inspired from the guy who played bass in my friends older brothers band(the guy who owned the bass I played), and finally got one later for my birthday.

Now days I don't care, I play several instruments, but bass and guitar are my favorites. Soloing is about what I do now, cause finding any group of people to be in a band for more than a weekend is hard as hell, when your no-where near major music scenes. So I feel you in finding someone to be in a band with.

If I knew you, I would join up as bassist, even though I want to be a drummer these days
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #58
AlleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsterjuice
Man im trying to form a band. but no one wants to play the bass. everybody thinks the guitarist and the singer is the one who lost their vredit card. come on. im the guitarist and i want to play three days grace paramore style songs. my friend who can play bass is willing. but hes the only person. im trying to find a drummer. i might be the singer. but i cant play and sing at the same time. why are bass players uncommon?

I play bass, but im having a hell of a time finding a lead guitarist for my band project
AlleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #59
KissThaRing

Quote:
Here is the deal around 1999, Jr High didn't have Bass class, they had Guitar Class. So everyone played some guitar, cause even non-guitarists were in the class.

The first time I ever played bass was while playing a song in a "band", and was in band playing bass for about a year before I ever owned one. Its not like you could hear how bad I sucked under the fully cranked bad guitar playing and kid pounding on his older brothers drums.

So picking up bass was an after thought from jamming at my friends older brothers house, who had a band room. But was inspired from the guy who played bass in my friends older brothers band(the guy who owned the bass I played), and finally got one later for my birthday.

Now days I don't care, I play several instruments, but bass and guitar are my favorites. Soloing is about what I do now, cause finding any group of people to be in a band for more than a weekend is hard as hell, when your no-where near major music scenes. So I feel you in finding someone to be in a band with.

If I knew you, I would join up as bassist, even though I want to be a drummer these days

Good observation. I think in this country, quite a few high schools offer a Guitar class, but bass is totally left out of the picture. In fact, music theory all together is totally left out of the picture, which is essential for being a decent bassist. I think this is why being a bassist is a such a turn off, because most people get into it thinking its easy, only to find out that to become good, your gonna need to learn some theory, and thats a major turn off for most teens who just wanna two hand tap, wail and wank in hopes to impress the local slut who will sleep with them.
KissThaRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #60
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyO
I play bass, but im having a hell of a time finding a lead guitarist for my band project

Wow...most bands I know have two guitarists and neither of them want to play rhythm. Cast your net a bit farther, there are usually 20 guitarists to every bass player out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: