User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #81
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldud536
Yea but when your country is doing stupid things around the world I can only say "You signed up for that? lol"

Or you can recognize that that person, regardless of what politicians and leaders do, has made the sacrifice that is a life in the military, has willingly gone into a situation where he may be injured, scarred mentally or physically, maimed, or killed, in service to his country and the citizens thereof. And then, having recognized the sacrifices that that guy made, you could thank and respect him.

My cousin AJ will never be able to lift his right arm above his head or lift more than 60 pounds again because of injuries he sustained in Afganistan when his convoy was ambushed. He volunteered the week after 9/11, his military service shattered his marriage, he suffers from flashbacks a few times a month, in service of his country. Just an anecdote, but I don't believe you're a rational thinking person if you don't recognize and respect such sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #82
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut
Or you can recognize that that person, regardless of what politicians and leaders do, has made the sacrifice that is a life in the military, has willingly gone into a situation where he may be injured, scarred mentally or physically, maimed, or killed, in service to his country and the citizens thereof. And then, having recognized the sacrifices that that guy made, you could thank and respect him.

My cousin AJ will never be able to lift his right arm above his head or lift more than 60 pounds again because of injuries he sustained in Afganistan when his convoy was ambushed. He volunteered the week after 9/11, his military service shattered his marriage, he suffers from flashbacks a few times a month, in service of his country. Just an anecdote, but I don't believe you're a rational thinking person if you don't recognize and respect such sacrifice.

People don't seem to have respect for anything anymore.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #83
TooktheAtrain
Banned

I certainly don't respect people who gloss over the mutilation of thousands of generations of babies.

I would go as far as to say such people probably don't deserve any respect at all.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #84
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
And the best medium for freedom is cancerous tumours, right?

what you don't seem to understand is that children born in Iraq will have TUMOURS GROWING OUT OF THEIR ****ING FACES for the rest of humanity's foreseeable future. (half life of at least 700 million years)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rth_defects.svg
Those are the rates for birth defects in Basra.

That is very upsetting. However, without proper healthcare the children and future children will never be able to get help. And there isn't very good access to healthcare, and the healthcare isn't of very good quality. And in order for that to change the system needs to be changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I agree with you that it's the military's job to kill, destroy, and ruin. It's our shameful purpose. However, in my opinion that is all a military should be used for; it should never be used to "nation-build" or anything of the sort. It sends mixed messages, confounds its more important purpose (kill and cause mayhem), and weakens it overall.

Are you/were you in the military? If you were, Thank you for your service.

I have to disagree with the idea that the military should only be used for destruction. Of course, that is its main purpose. But although a sword is crafted to kill, the result of the killing is the reason that the killing was done in the first place. Whether or not a people go to war for defense, land, oil, to stop a dictator, to help an ally, or w.e. the reason is rarely to simply destroy. It is an instrument for a much larger goal.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #85
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!

I suppose those babies were doing just fine while Saddam Hussein was using mustard gas to exterminate Kurds, and using all forms of murder, torture, and intimidation to suppress political dissent.

Clearly Basra, Iraq was one happy rainbow valley before the United States stepped in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #86
TooktheAtrain
Banned

Quote:
I suppose those babies were doing just fine while Saddam Hussein was using mustard gas to exterminate Kurds, and using all forms of murder, torture, and intimidation to suppress political dissent.

Clearly Basra, Iraq was one happy rainbow valley before the United States stepped in.

Of course not. However, the use of DU rounds has compounded the situation to the point where Basra will be a cancer breeding shithole for the rest of time (from a human perspective)

Ever hear the aphorism 'two wrongs don't make a right'?
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #87
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Are you/were you in the military? If you were, Thank you for your service.

I still am, and thanks.

Quote:
I have to disagree with the idea that the military should only be used for destruction. Of course, that is its main purpose. But although a sword is crafted to kill, the result of the killing is the reason that the killing was done in the first place. Whether or not a people go to war for defense, land, oil, to stop a dictator, to help an ally, or w.e. the reason is rarely to simply destroy. It is an instrument for a much larger goal.

If a nation wants to endeavor in such a thing, it needs to use an entity separate from it's military to accomplish that goal. The same organization that is invading a country, destroying its infrastructure, and hunting its hooligans cannot be the one that is attempting to "nation-build."

It's sloppy. It's convoluted. It's two-faced. It's shitty politics. It doesn't work.

Last edited by Dreadnought : 02-04-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #88
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:

That isn't the point he's making.

Regardless, had the people of Iraq wanted freedom as badly as we reckon, surely they would have revolted? Unless you were a Kurd (Kurds get treated like shit everywhere though, but they're not Jews so nobody gives a shit).

My understanding is that most of the killing was inflicted on Kurds and much of Iraq didn't care. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I'm not sure what I was getting at here and this is a pretty awful post...
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.

Last edited by magnus_maximus : 02-04-2013 at 10:56 PM.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #89
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Yea that's true (in response to the first part).
I can see why people would have a problem with police officers in some cases, but whenever I ask someone who hates cops "Do you want to live in a world where there aren't police officers?" They can't give me a straight (or sensible) answer. It's either "Yes" (which is obviously ridiculous) or "No, but i don't want them to abuse their power", which is always going to happen. Psychopaths or just assholes are always going to gravitate to professions that give them power. But you can't judge the majority by actions of the minority.

I may not be able to judge the majority by the actions of the minority, but I can be suspicious of them until I'm certain they're not the arseholes.

Quote:
As for soldiers, I don't understand hate for them at all. They are one of the few professions that I respect over any other. Maybe my emotions skews my opinion of it a little bit, but anyone who is willing to risk their life for my country is a hero in my book.
None of this is directed at you, it's just kinda rants about stuff in response to your post.

Because the other side's soldiers are willing to do the same. So either it's a pointless affair with unnecessary death or one side is 'good' and the other 'bad'. In which case the soldiers themselves aren't what's to be respected, it's the cause and their willingness to stand up for it that I respect.

However that only applies if you believe in the cause.

I don't hate soldiers. And I'd be grateful for their service if/when it's needed. But I don't buy into the bullshit that they're all heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #90
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings

Quote:
What the **** is with all the trolling? The two guys killed were heroes, not just for what they did while deployed but for what they did when they got back. Excluding service members, No one on this board has even come close to proving that they are half the man these guys were. Myself included.

RIP.

I've made like 1 post in the last 2 months and this needed to be said.

This is extremely well said. Considering both these guys were volunteering their time to help people with PTSD for no other reason than to help, I think everyone seems to be missing the point as to why this sucks so much and is tragic.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
shredder3386 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #91
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
I still am, and thanks.

If a nation wants to endeavor in such a thing, it needs to use an entity separate from it's military to accomplish that goal. The same organization that is invading a country, destroying its infrastructure, and hunting its hooligans cannot be the one that is attempting to "nation-build."

It's sloppy. It's convoluted. It's two-faced. It's shitty politics. It doesn't work.[/QUOTE]
So far i am being swayed, but may I ask, what do you think such an entity would be that would do that?
Also, if you don't mind my inquiring, what position are you in the military?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #92
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I may not be able to judge the majority by the actions of the minority, but I can be suspicious of them until I'm certain they're not the arseholes.

Because the other side's soldiers are willing to do the same. So either it's a pointless affair with unnecessary death or one side is 'good' and the other 'bad'. In which case the soldiers themselves aren't what's to be respected, it's the cause and their willingness to stand up for it that I respect.

However that only applies if you believe in the cause.

I don't hate soldiers. And I'd be grateful for their service if/when it's needed. But I don't buy into the bullshit that they're all heroes.

Again, I agree totally with you.
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #93
bradulator
through being cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
Paramedics and firefighters get respect from the non-**** section of society, usually.

It's only really police and soldiers that people have a problem with. And given their tasks and the history surrounding the roles, can you blame people? Ron Paul Revolution!

edited for accuracy
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #94
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
edited for accuracy

Because you have to be a nutjob libertarian to see police abuse and military atrocities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #95
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
So far i am being swayed, but may I ask, what do you think such an entity would be that would do that?

If I had my way, none.

Quote:
Also, if you don't mind my inquiring, what position are you in the military?

THE BEST
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #96
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Oh shit. I had a friend that used to go to that range on weekends.
and I was like a mile away when this happened.

Last edited by ihartfood : 02-04-2013 at 11:00 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #97
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
If I had my way, none.

Well, say you couldn't have your way? And the military would still need to go in first to remove the current system.
Quote:
THE BEST

So.... DEVGRU? Im sorry if what I asked was too personal.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #98
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Quote:

Nah man, they signed up for it, so they obviously deserve every mental and physical injury they receive! Don't be stupid, the world would be better if no country had soldiers!
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #99
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynyrd890
Nah man, they signed up for it, so they obviously deserve every mental and physical injury they receive! Don't be stupid, the world would be better if no country had soldiers!

Are you being for real? I will answer assuming you are:
Don't be stupid and think that a country can survive without soldiers/ a military.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #100
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Quote:
Are you being for real?

No, I'm not.... lol
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: