Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
bdof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I've been looking at Distortion pedals recently. My amp is satisfactory, I just want something a bit different for when I feel like I need it.

The problem is that the usual options tend to be a teeny bit pants. Boss and Digitech make decent enough pedals elsewhere but I'm yet to hear a full on distortion pedal in their current range that I like. The metal muff is 'meh' and other than that, the common names that are thrown about are going for more than 100.

I've found a few pedals that I actually like. The Mesa pedal (can't remember which one is the gainiest atm), Wampler Triple Wreck, Suhr Riot and Okko Dominator are all pedals that I like, but there's a common issue. They're all closer to 200 than 100. During my searches I came across some schematics for the Wampler, okko and suhr and while they're beyond my skill atm, they're not ridiculously complex.

So I've bought a simple fizz kit so I can get a bit of practice and then I'll be attempting one of the above if I feel up to it.

Has anyone else got recommendations for high gain distortion pedals for me to check out?

I got the Boss ST-2 Power Stack and I think it is freaking excellent for most styles. Back when I was covering songs and was using strictly the clean channel, this pedal gave me a lot of dirt for the heavier songs. It doesn't sound like a tin can either, unlike some Boss distortion pedals...
bdof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

@lemoninfluence I'd look at getting some kind of rat, a boss hm-2, a used Jekyll and Hyde or a joyo amp sim. If you can stretch the extra ten buck the barber dirty bomb is pretty solid as well. Go watch some videos and check back with us. If your running a solid state its hard to beat a j+h in my experience.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

you are all wrong.

distortion pedals don't suck. metal sucks.

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #24
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_k
you are all wrong.

/thread
just kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz
I have a Digitech Grunge distortion pedal. It's awful. Much prefer the build in overdrive in my BOSS PW-10 wah.

I liked my old one. it was fun.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

Quote:
you are all wrong.

My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #26
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Kurt Cobaine used a Rat and a DS-1. I read an interview with the Dethklok guy and he primarily uses dirt pedals through a clean Marshall or Fender. Jimi Hendrix used a fuzzface.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #27
Lead_Guitar89

Quote:
you are all wrong.

Heavy Metal is the BEST MUSIC EVER MADE!!!!!
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #28
Lead_Guitar89

What do you thing about a MXR Distortion+ pedal with Laney LX-35R (Solid state)? I don't have enough money to buy a tube amplifier, I play 80's Metal... Thanks!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #29
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Can you be more specific on 80s metal? I watched a few videos its pretty good for Randy Rhodes type stuff in some videos I watched. I wouldn't go much heavier then that tbh with that pedal it starts sounding muddy. So budget? Location? Willing to go used?

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #30
Lead_Guitar89

I use to play Iron Maiden, Randy Rhoads, Manowar, Accept, Helloween and UFO. Ι have a budget of 300 euros, for amp and pedal. My guitar is a Dean Black Bolt.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
Lead_Guitar89

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing battle
Can you be more specific on 80s metal? I watched a few videos its pretty good for Randy Rhodes type stuff in some videos I watched. I wouldn't go much heavier then that tbh with that pedal it starts sounding muddy. So budget? Location? Willing to go used?

I live in Greece and I don't trust used eguipment. I mostly prefer to play using pinch harmonics.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #32
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Id give it a look in person and bring your amp if possible because if you like it in a video it may not be the best pairing for your amp. It should work well for you for what you have listed because it is what many bands of that era did because high gain amps weren't readily availible at that point in history. The bigger question is do you want the normal or script logo. There is a slight difference between the two but I don't know if your willing to pay double for it or not.

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #33
Lead_Guitar89

I prefer the normal, and it's easier for me to find it! I am always anxious about if I can achieve the tone I like with a solid state amp, because most of the artists I like had Marshall Plexi or JCM800. I'd love to have a Laney Ironheart, but it's very costly and I am not allowed to play loud enough.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #34
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead_Guitar89
I prefer the normal, and it's easier for me to find it! I am always anxious about if I can achieve the tone I like with a solid state amp, because most of the artists I like had Marshall Plexi or JCM800. I'd love to have a Laney Ironheart, but it's very costly and I am not allowed to play loud enough.

You don't need to play it loud. Though I'm not sure how loud is loud for you/your parents/neighbors/whatever (I have my Laney VC30 tube amp at 1 and it sounds good).

But yeah, Randy used Distortion +.

Are you going to buy both amp and the pedal? Maybe go and try both amp and the pedal at the same time in a music store. Try it through different amps in your price range.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
Lead_Guitar89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
You don't need to play it loud. Though I'm not sure how loud is loud for you/your parents/neighbors/whatever (I have my Laney VC30 tube amp at 1 and it sounds good).

But yeah, Randy used Distortion +.

Are you going to buy both amp and the pedal? Maybe go and try both amp and the pedal at the same time in a music store. Try it through different amps in your price range.

Yeah, I'm going to buy them both! Laney VC30 is a good option....very good option...but it costs 570 euros.... Do you thing it's worth waiting and saving money for a VC30;
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
Lead_Guitar89

I play on 2 or 3 with a Line 6 Spider IV
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #37
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to buy them both! Laney VC30 is a good option....very good option...but it costs 570 euros.... Do you thing it's worth waiting and saving money for a VC30;

Well, I got mine used for 280. It sounds good IMO. It might not have enough gain for heavier genres and you might need an OD to boost it. I don't have an OD because I'm happy with how it sounds without pedals. And I don't really need that high gain sounds.

I would go and try different amps in a music store. Try them with and without distortion pedal and see which of them sounds the best.

Quote:
I play on 2 or 3 with a Line 6 Spider IV

OK, you need a new amp.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #38
Lead_Guitar89

I love the British tone many tube amps have, but I'm thinking of solid state because of their reliability and because they are cheap. I will try some amplifiers when I have the change. But many people told me that if I use an OD or a distortion pedal with a solid state amp it will be very stupid.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
Lead_Guitar89

And I want to thank you for your help. I don't know people who are familiar with the guitar, and I have not anyone to talk about it. Most of the people I know don't listen to Heavy Metal and they can't help me. Thank you very much!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #40
Lead_Guitar89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine

OK, you need a new amp.

Of course I need a new amp! I love analog circuitry, like tube or solid state amps, and I hate modelling technology, when it comes to sound (except recording)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: