Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
krm27

Can anyone critique my general "gear flowchart" to see if its right?

Sorry, these are newbie questions, I've been playing classical / acoustic and am just trying to figure out an amplified set up for electric guitar & some other stuff. Don't know squat about amplification. Trying to get simplest set up that will do everything I think I might want to do. Here's what I've come up with as a general flow chart / shopping list:

Guitar–>Modeling/Effects Pedal–>Loop Pedal–>Mixing Board–->?speaker?
Drum Machine ---------------------------–>Mixing board –>?speaker?
Synthesizer-------------------------------–>Mixing board –>?speaker?
Microphone -------------------------------–>Mixing board –>?speaker?

The idea is that I want to layer guitar sounds with different effects, using a looper. As I understand it, this means I need my effects all before the looper or all my loops will be stuck with same effects. This also means I cannot use an amp or amp head with effects, I guess. So I am thinking I need something like a Line 6 stomp box to go before a looper pedal in my chain.

I also have a drum machine, synth, and mic, and I think it makes sense to route them all into one amp / speaker monitor (not sure of right term for what I need). One speaker seems to make sense to me financially and to limit space / clutter. Which I guess means a mixing board? Or do I just get an amp that has four line-ins?

From the mixing board, I'm not sure what exactly to go into. An amp? A pre-amp? A monitor? A speaker?

I'm also a bit confused as to the microphone, as to whether that needs a dedicated pre-amp and where that would go in the chain (?between mic and mixing board?)

Any advice appreciated,

~Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Line 6 HD500 has a looper built in, and is one of the best non-high priced MFX pedals you can get

Get a small Mixer behringer make a small xeynix 802 (i have one and it is a good cheap small mixer)
and a powered monitor/speaker will do you fine.

EDIT: The L6 HD500 also does vocal FX and has a mic input
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 02-04-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Have you considered getting a multitracker or PC interface so you can record the parts you'll be looping in order to have them there ready to go next time you want to play?
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

I would suggest you get a mixer with an aux bus. Send the aux output to the looper and then the looper back to the mixer. You can decide what you want the looper to record by which input you send to the aux bus. The reason being that you will probably want to loop some of the other inputs... (drums, synth, and mic).

If you are thinking of looping to the drums by simply letting the drum machine play while looping your guitar, you are going to find that it's impossible to keep the drums in sync over multiple loops.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Have you considered getting a multitracker or PC interface so you can record the parts you'll be looping in order to have them there ready to go next time you want to play?

+1

this also allows you to plug right into a DAW or performance software. sync beats and loops cuz it's all getting taken care of in one program.

if you use a computer interface and some software like abbleton, then you could stage the song (tempo, time signatures, beats, loops) and make real time loops of any instrument. plus you could also use software to make your beats and eliminate the need for a drum machine.

you can use usb hardware interfaces if you want knobs, switches, faders, drum pads... w/e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm27
Here's what I've come up with as a general flow chart / shopping list:

Guitar–>Modeling/Effects Pedal–>Loop Pedal–>Mixing Board–->?speaker?
Drum Machine ---------------------------–>Mixing board –>?speaker?
Synthesizer-------------------------------–>Mixing board –>?speaker?
Microphone -------------------------------–>Mixing board –>?speaker?

-Guitar
-effect unit
-looper
-drum machine
-synth
-microphone
-mixer
-PA/speaker

that is pretty much how you'd hook it up, nothing wrong with that arrangement.

that is a hefty list. you could replace the looper, drum machine, guitar effects unit and mixer with a computer interface and use software for beats and looping.

Quote:
The idea is that I want to layer guitar sounds with different effects, using a looper. As I understand it, this means I need my effects all before the looper or all my loops will be stuck with same effects.

effects positioned before the looper will be copied in the looper.

Quote:
This also means I cannot use an amp or amp head with effects, I guess. So I am thinking I need something like a Line 6 stomp box to go before a looper pedal in my chain.

you may be able to use amp with effects. if you had like a spider IV, you could use the headphone outs to the mixer; that should bypass the speaker and let you use all the effects.

line 6, boss, digitech, etc all make multi effects. i'd recommend going to a store to try a few and see if there is one you like better over another.

Quote:
I also have a drum machine, synth, and mic, and I think it makes sense to route them all into one amp / speaker monitor (not sure of right term for what I need).

it'd make controlling the levels/mixing easier.

Quote:
One speaker seems to make sense to me financially and to limit space / clutter. Which I guess means a mixing board? Or do I just get an amp that has four line-ins?

you have plenty of options, one of the most obvious is to use a small mixer in front to a powered speaker. this is a great option cuz you have scalability: extra inputs, effects loops, extra sends, you can buy another speaker when you can afford it later, it can function as a great monitoring system when you expand, etc.

Quote:
From the mixing board, I'm not sure what exactly to go into. An amp? A pre-amp? A monitor? A speaker?

a mixer is basically a bunch of preamps controlled by faders that combine audio signals into a single (mono or stereo) audio signal.

so you plug stuff that may need a preamp into the mixer (microphones for example), but you can also plug stuff that has it's own preamp (ipods, keyboards, etc) into a mixer as well.

the output of the mixer is generally ready to be sent to a power amp, which is then sent to a speaker cabinet.

Quote:
I'm also a bit confused as to the microphone, as to whether that needs a dedicated pre-amp and where that would go in the chain (?between mic and mixing board?)

the mixer should provide the preamp.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
krm27

Thanks a lot for the detailed responses, they are very helpful.

I do have a computer / DAW set up (Reaper). I'm not clear how I could do live looping through that set up. Can I rig a footswitch to control looping software / plug in? Otherwise, I'd have to get super-good at reaching out and tapping keyboard without losing timing of guitar playing. If it is possible to rig a footswitch to control looping through DAW, I'm interested in hearing how.

Even if that is possible, I think I still want a non-computer looping solution, like the idea of being able to do this as a "plug & play" option without having to involve booting computer, software, etc. The mixer with aux bus sounds right, so I could sometimes loop other instruments than guitar.

Anyone have suggestions for good mixer for guitar, bass, synth, drum machine, and mic? I also have a pair of turntables with DJ mixer, would ideally like to route through same PA, which I guess may mean cables from DJ mixer to main mixer (?)

Also, would welcome suggestions for PA. Mostly for home use (not too loud) but might take to small gig in future, like at coffee house.

I prefer to find gear used on Craigslist, or sometimes even Ebay, that has good track record and is on cheaper end.

Thanks,

~Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: