Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
RedMist

I think when you here of Eddie Van Halen praticing for 8 hours, I think it's mainly listening to and copying tunes/noodling.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
Bazz22

I used to be able to play for hours straight, no problem.

Unfortunately, as of late I've been getting really frustrated with my playing, to the point where I'll end up stopping after 30 minutes because I'm unhappy with my playing abilities.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMist
I think when you here of Eddie Van Halen praticing for 8 hours, I think it's mainly listening to and copying tunes/noodling.

Most likely true, or thinking of ways to kick out Dave and replace him with another family member.

I practice 3-5 hours daily. At least 30 mins of it is me screwing with settings, because perfect tone is impossible, and I use the sweep rate of modulation effects as a metronome.

IMO, if you're in a band you should practice 2x as long as your setlist, 5-7 days a week.
SP1N3SPL1TT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #24
GuitarFreak1387

I use to play anywhere from 3-6 hours semi regularly back when I was in school. The main thing that made me want to play that long was simply just determination. It wasn't a strict everyday thing though. If I had the free time to do it, I would play. If I had other things to do I wouldn't play, wasn't a big deal.
GuitarFreak1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Believe it or not, you can practice practice.

As you practice more you figure out how to keep motivated and what you want to improve. There's also a nice cycle where you

Practice A
See results with A!
Wish you could see results in B and C as well
So now you practice A B and C!

Aside from that, obviously you don't waste your time - TV is usually shit, personally I prefer playing guitar to drinking... etc etc. If guitar is your favourite leisure activity it makes it easy to find the time.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
Try learnin the whole Tony Macalpine "Edge of Insanity" Cd from the power tab. That could keep you busy more than 3 hours per day. Freakin fun though. I like how his shred is more complex than some - he does like 16th notes but with a little 8th note triplet or one quarter note... thrown into the middle of the lick. Really complex. Sometimes I cheat a little.

Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
lfcagger
twat

It's mostly a question of time management - I'm in school 9-3, play hockey 8 times a week, but I still have time to put in 3+ hours a day, more on weekends. Just cut out useless stuff like going on facebook, watching TV, and you'll be fine. Sure, 20 minutes on the Xbox is okay now and again. but you have to be disciplined to use your time wisely.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
lfcagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
thetrueballs

I'm not sure I understood your question. If you mean how people end up practicing so long, it's because some have strict routines, which they follow strictly. Some people just strum their hearts out and then a few hours just go by. :-)

If you're having problems staying motivated, just remember, you should be having fun, first and foremost.

If you push yourself into practicing more than you really like to, then you'd just burn yourself out, and you won't get anywere in the long run.

If you're asking how people are able to practice so much, then it's a question of dedication, MOTIVATION, discipline, priorities and time management. :-)

We're not your average teenage rockband. :-)
thetrueballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
ThisIsBS

When I started playing, I used to practice 10 hours a day sometimes, WITHOUT calluses. I have a blog/journal/diary thing on my profile which I stopped doing, but you get the idea. I was addicted to playing guitar, not so much now but I still practice almost everday :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so **** that guy
ThisIsBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

I clocked around 9 or 10 hours on Sunday.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #31
deltadaz

Stick your strap on carry your guitar everywhere cooking tea and picking practice
Cutting the lawn and strumming.
But seriously people spend hours a day doing things they don't like.
yet cant seem to motivate themselves to do something they are supposed to love if the
If guitar is something you love make time.
you have to seriously look at your life if your being forced to do things other than you want
do you really want to play guitar that bad.
Dont sit around in 40 years time wishing you had, do it now. whatever the restriction
do away with them if they wont allow you to do something you love..

Sorry got into rant mode ..

Last edited by deltadaz : 02-12-2013 at 11:31 AM.
deltadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #32
RyanStorm13

How do teachers teach for 8 hours a day 5 days a week(roughly)....because they have study plans for all the students and pre-plan what they do before the week starts(and even have a years worth of plans outlined, maybe not in detail), which includes an outline with goals, and tests to see which students are moving forward periodically.

This testing, is like gigging and recording, so even if you play an empty bar of friends and family, its still good practice/testing to see how far you have come, or by how well your songs sound.

Take the same concepts of a teacher and put it in your music learning.

The best advice I was ever given, I was told to play the guitar like it were a real instrument. Like flute players just don't just pick it up and jam on it for 20 minutes, then look up their favorite bands tabs(that aren't always correct) and try and play it without a metronome or actually listening to how the song is played.

Also, I was told not to obsess trying to replicate what others do as my main source of learning, like spending a whole summer learning Tool's Lateralus Song Book before I even knew what Minor Penatonic scale was....

It is always better to learn all the traditional stuff that these double platinum musicians used to make their songs first. Cause a master of all the different methods and styles of guitar playing, who can read music, will be able to play other guitarist's songs for the most part.....the other half to traditional learning is studying other guitarists work.

Part of learning the guitar is from other musicians who transformed music and guitar through out the years, from Robert Johnson to BB King to Chuck Berry to Jimi Hendrix to Jimmy Page to Van Halen to Randy Rhoads to Dimebag to Jack White to Buckethead to Paul Landers/Richard Krupse etc etc etc Each of them learned what was done before them, and implemented their own style and improved upon what they know.

Learning guitar isn't just playing, there is so much more....just make sure you understand what your playing.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #33
cdgraves

playing is playing, practice is practice. They are not interchangeable. And if you're doing some other thing while you play or practice... you are neither playing nor practicing. Unless you're practicing specifically so you can watch football on the bar's TV during your set.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #34
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

I disagree, being able to play guitar whilst focusing on something else is beneficial.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
hamza hashmi

my university timmings are like 7am-4pm. at home i practice around two hours and on weekends maybe more like 3-4 hours. i think 1.5 hours are enough if you arrange a proper time table for your practice session.

check it out.
hamza hashmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #36
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
I disagree, being able to play guitar whilst focusing on something else is beneficial.

Only beneficial to whatever you're doing that isn't music. What else besides music would you need to focus on while performing?
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
QPC_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
Only beneficial to whatever you're doing that isn't music. What else besides music would you need to focus on while performing?

Audience reaction.
I suppose you could always rely on other people to tell you which songs went down well. Or watch a video. But why wouldn't you want to watch it live for yourself? You might be able to react to them.

Last edited by QPC_Sam : 02-15-2013 at 04:23 PM.
QPC_Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

I know what ya mean i used to practice for HOURS now im married work six days a week and have a son for whom i will be teaching soon (he is nine months old the clock is ticking my boy)and i have artritus in my left hand. So im lucky to get 1 hour in a week.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: