Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
bdog1099

Question need harder bass music

hey, i've been playing bass for about 6 years now and i need a couple of really hard and challenging FUNK songs to play, last year for a school assessment i played pulling teeth - Metallica, all around the world - RHCP, and new born - muse. i found them easy and un challenging (pulling teeth was a slightly challenging). (btw, im only 16). i need some names of some really hard and challenging songs which are funky and can be played on a 5-string bass (which unfortunately means no dirty loops ).
bdog1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
skippy_moogoose
30 Rhythm Points...O yeah

Primus? Not exactly funk, but certainly uses all the techniques, and if you like Metallica, u'd likely like their older, heavier stuff...for the 5 string check in particular out My Name is Mud...has a wonderful percussive Mute riff, but yeah, most Primus songs are fun and challenging to play!
skippy_moogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
bdog1099

hey, i'm not actually to keen on metallica, as i actually find it to heavy for me, and any primus songs imperticular? cause i've looked into a couple of songs by them and found them to easy. and when i say funky, i mean like dirty loops' cover of baby. i was gonna do that song but unfortunately i do not have access to a 6-string bass
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
beer bear
UG's Hermit

Come on come over by Jaco Pastorious? Getting it up to tempo is a right pain.
beer bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
bdog1099

DUDE, that sounds mint. i remember one of ma old bass teachers playin a riff from that song and then teaching me the chicken. that is the sorta funk i want. and u said bout getting things up to speed... im used to playing songs like the trooper by iron maiden and faster. do u know any other songs like that? and maybe even a couple of slap pieces? maybe one less repeditive

Last edited by bdog1099 : 02-05-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
beer bear
UG's Hermit

Jaco's stuff is always fairly complex, or at least difficult, so check out some of his stuff. His cover of blackbird is ridiculous. Opus Pocus is a challenge even at slow tempoes.
You might be interested in some jazz fusion bands like Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever. Also check out Tower of Power, Francis Rocco Prestia is one of the best fingerstyle funk players there is. Only so much oil in the ground is a good one and What is Hip is a classic.
I've never been too into slap myself, but Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten should keep you occupied for a while. Also listen to a lot of James Brown. He had a ridiculous lineup of musicians during his career.
beer bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
skippy_moogoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog1099
hey, i'm not actually to keen on metallica, as i actually find it to heavy for me, and any primus songs imperticular? cause i've looked into a couple of songs by them and found them to easy. and when i say funky, i mean like dirty loops' cover of baby. i was gonna do that song but unfortunately i do not have access to a 6-string bass

In terms of Primus, how about DMV? lots of tapping that can be done on a 5 string

Tommy the Cat is always a classic, for which you will need a good mute technique, ditto Lacquer head, especially the mute solo he rips out after the first chorus!
Speghetti Western has a great groove that trades with the drums? To Defy the laws of tradition works most techniques including slapping and tapping.
Damned Blue Collar Tweekers has an excellent bass solo, some really fast finger work needed for it, certainly a challenge! When you say you find them easy, what songs have you tried? Dyu kind of play along to the track, or straight up on ur own? Playing along often covers up a lot of mistakes you're making! This isn't a criticism or anything, but I've never met a bassist who cays Claypool's work is "Too easy"
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
RedMist

Funkadelic.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
bdog1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy_moogoose
In terms of Primus, how about DMV? lots of tapping that can be done on a 5 string

Tommy the Cat is always a classic, for which you will need a good mute technique, ditto Lacquer head, especially the mute solo he rips out after the first chorus!
Speghetti Western has a great groove that trades with the drums? To Defy the laws of tradition works most techniques including slapping and tapping.
Damned Blue Collar Tweekers has an excellent bass solo, some really fast finger work needed for it, certainly a challenge! When you say you find them easy, what songs have you tried? Dyu kind of play along to the track, or straight up on ur own? Playing along often covers up a lot of mistakes you're making! This isn't a criticism or anything, but I've never met a bassist who cays Claypool's work is "Too easy"

i play straight up, with maybe a live drummer backing me. i might practise with the track but when i perform and that, i dont have anything else but a live drummer and guitarist, if that.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
christianonbass

I agree with Skippy. I am sure you have worked hard at getting good, but if after 6 years you thinks all of this stuff is "Too easy" you are whether missing something that you are not hearing, or need an ego deflation. I'm not nagging you, I remember when i was 17 or so. I thought I was the greatest. To me it seems the older I get my skills become more and more average and typical. I am not all that
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
moody git
I bad writing

get some tm stevens up in this shit. not the most insanely difficult stuff to play on earth, but i find it suitably challenging to remain fun
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
RaginGus

If you want a challenge try some Stuart Zender stuff from his time in Jamiroquai. Music of the mind, Just another story and both versions of Space cowboy would do the trick.
RaginGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
jakey333

If you want something really tough, try Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick by Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

Guy Pratt is a good mate of mine and he reckons this is one of the greatest and toughest basslines ever. And Guy is not the worst bassist around.
jakey333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #14
bdog1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianonbass
I agree with Skippy. I am sure you have worked hard at getting good, but if after 6 years you thinks all of this stuff is "Too easy" you are whether missing something that you are not hearing, or need an ego deflation. I'm not nagging you, I remember when i was 17 or so. I thought I was the greatest. To me it seems the older I get my skills become more and more average and typical. I am not all that

i get where you are coming from, but unfortunatly i am one of those complete ass holes who actually does find it easy, and i get all my music from ultimate guitar and use that unless it sounds way different from the song, and btw, the first song i ever played on bass was living on a preyer, and that was cause i lied about playing bass. since then i have been doin a fair bit of practise and goin through bass teacher after bass teacher. my last bass teacher even admited that the only thing he could teach me was soloing stuff and the theory side of stuff
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
bdog1099

here is a link to my originals band, excuse the absalute crap quality of filming, it was done from a phone
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

James Jamerson
/thread

But really, transcribe some of Janek Gwizdala's solos on the albums "Live at 55 bar" and "The space between"
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
lokimogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog1099
i get where you are coming from, but unfortunatly i am one of those complete ass holes who actually does find it easy, and i get all my music from ultimate guitar and use that unless it sounds way different from the song, and btw, the first song i ever played on bass was living on a preyer, and that was cause i lied about playing bass. since then i have been doin a fair bit of practise and goin through bass teacher after bass teacher. my last bass teacher even admited that the only thing he could teach me was soloing stuff and the theory side of stuff

Sounds like you need life lessons kiddo, not music lessons a this point.

Get out of your bedroom, go **** girls, have your heart broken, get in trouble with the law... do the things all those musicians who wrote "easy" music fit into their schedule, something you haven't mastered yet. You'll hear this in your improvising and music, the rest of your life, much more than sterile exercises you learned to brag on a message board, or just looking up songs that people transcribed. Transcribe the music yourself if it's so easy, haha.

You're a virtuoso eh? Sing then. You're just a bass player until you can sing in time, and in harmony with your bass playing.

The internet should be 18+

Last edited by lokimogun : 02-12-2013 at 01:06 AM.
lokimogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
skippy_moogoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokimogun

Get out of your bedroom, go **** girls, have your heart broken, get in trouble with the law... do the things all those musicians who wrote "easy" music fit into their schedule, something you haven't mastered yet. You'll hear this in your improvising and music, the rest of your life, much more than sterile exercises you learned to brag on a message board, or just looking up songs that people transcribed. Transcribe the music yourself if it's so easy, haha.

You're a virtuoso eh? Sing then. You're just a bass player until you can sing in time, and in harmony with your bass playing.

Although this may be coming off as a little brash, I kinda get what's trying to be said here...if everything we suggest is "Too easy", then go write something that isn't! Learn to transcribe, and how to write songs, rather than a piece of music that shows how awesome a player you are!
The way you've written some of your posts reads as a tad arrogant, and a fair few of us on here are old timers and we can get rubbed up the wrong way, which makes us less helpful. Take some time to consider exactly what you want to say, and make sure you put it in a courteous way! Not trying to dig at you tho man, please don't take it like that, just some forum advice.

Watched your video, nice tone, good line, but I'm not hearing anything that's blowing me away or suggesting you're more than a well versed or above average player. At your age mind you, that's great, and you say you play a lot with a live drummer which will take you further quicker and give you a greater understanding of groove, so keep on doing that. If you think the Primus studio stuff I've suggested is still "Too easy", watch some live footage, there's a full rip of Hallicinogenetics and a very good HD rip of a Red Rocks show from a couple of years ago that you could watch, learn from and transcribe. As has been suggested, try singing and playing at the same time! Try writing lyrics or something, maybe even pick up a guitar as well? These are some of the things I started doing when I repicked up a bass and they've all helped me be a) more creative and b) a better all round musician. That's not to say I'm anything special, I would in fact say I'm below average, But I have my own co-ordination problems and hey, I'm just happy playing! Which is afterall what matters right?
Anyway's, long enough wall of text, sorry about the ramble, and have fun on this here forum!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokimogun

I like this post.
Having all the chops in the world only means as much as what music you can make with them. There are guys with much less than me in terms of knowing their way around their instrument, but I ENVY their musicality so much.

And he's right about Having your heart broken, breaking the law, blah blah. Colorful life experiences transfer over to your playing. especially the painful ones.

Another thing to be able to do (which poster above alluded to) is being able to improvise something while singing it much like the player in this video:

What he hears in his head, he's able to sing while simultaneously playing the notes.
Try singing a solo, recording your voice and then transcribing that. That will teach you much more about being a musician than playing through a Dixie Dregs album.

But if all you want to do is replicate things people have already done (which is fine, we all have our own reasons for doing music) then like I said in the previous post, Janek Gwizdala, Dixie Dregs, The Magic Elf, James Jamerson, Scott Lafaro (Bill Evans Trio), Heernt are good places to start.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: