Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #21
watchingmefall
Government is hell
 
watchingmefall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tijuana, Mexico
Fudger that's a sweet video, love it.

Look kid, I'm not as old or experienced as many people on this forum (and I admit it), but I've been on this rodeo a hell lot longer than you. And I've got to tell you, there is a distinct difference between playing the notes of a Primus song and playing a Primus song, that difference is called Taste and Experience. Both of which you do not have, judging by your video.
I saw your video. Pretty good, half past decent. Nothing more. I am not bashing you.

I'd recommend expanding styles and theory, remember that experienced bassist have such a fine sense for taste and groove that they can make basslines with 3 o 4 notes. (example: Papa Was A Rolling Stone). Luck.
__________________
Just call me Raul
My band "Bozo Trio" playing some tunes.
Black Metal Peacock
Ganimedes
Santa Cecilia
watchingmefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #22
fudger
Im a ninja of love..
 
fudger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Binghamton NY
Yeah I found it on no treble a while ago and thought it was pretty gnarly.

But really bass isn't always about playing the hardest line. Its about what compliments the other instruments and brings a track to life sometimes. A four note groove sometimes fits better than runs all over the place. There is a time and place for flaahy lines and runs. Look at the version of echos by pink floyd from the live at pompii. Roger water plays a very beautiful groove with pretty much two notes. Once you grow up musically you will this out. If all you want to do is be a flamboyant player and always want the spot light go play guitar.

Edit for reference

go to 6:25 for the part I was talking about
__________________
My band
Facebook
Youtube
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...

Last edited by fudger : 02-13-2013 at 01:47 AM.
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #23
bdog1099
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokimogun
Sounds like you need life lessons kiddo, not music lessons a this point.

Get out of your bedroom, go **** girls, have your heart broken, get in trouble with the law... do the things all those musicians who wrote "easy" music fit into their schedule, something you haven't mastered yet. You'll hear this in your improvising and music, the rest of your life, much more than sterile exercises you learned to brag on a message board, or just looking up songs that people transcribed. Transcribe the music yourself if it's so easy, haha.

You're a virtuoso eh? Sing then. You're just a bass player until you can sing in time, and in harmony with your bass playing.

The internet should be 18+


get in trouble with the law??? LOL been there done that. i've been in trouble with law, i've been kicked from 3 schools. i've done all that, ok? (except im the one who broke their heart) and btw, i can sing in tune, i'm in a barber shop quartet at school just cause 2 of the guys in it can beatbox. i pretty much NEVER practise cause im never in my room. u wanna make internet 18+? well u should make it by maturity so that ******s like you cant come on. and also, for the asignment, im not allowed to do any original pieces. thats the point of the assessment. it is about accuracy and musicianship. so go **** yourself and get a ****ing life u over grown ape
bdog1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #24
bdog1099
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
about the not needing a song to have many notes and all that,
unfortunatly the point of the assessment isn't about that, that i find easier to find songs for. the point of my assessment is to show accuracy and musicianship while playing 2 songs at a certain grade or higher, problam is, i actually like pushing what style of playing i can do, slap bass probably being my worst atm, so i wanted a hard funk slap bass line to test me technically. new zealand has shit standards at school.

i get wat u mean by the playing notes of a primus song and actually playing a primus song. that was the sorta thing my first bass teacher explained to me. unfortunatly he then left for ausi to play in a pretty successful band there
bdog1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #25
bdog1099
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudger
Yeah I found it on no treble a while ago and thought it was pretty gnarly.

But really bass isn't always about playing the hardest line. Its about what compliments the other instruments and brings a track to life sometimes. A four note groove sometimes fits better than runs all over the place. There is a time and place for flaahy lines and runs. Look at the version of echos by pink floyd from the live at pompii. Roger water plays a very beautiful groove with pretty much two notes. Once you grow up musically you will this out. If all you want to do is be a flamboyant player and always want the spot light go play guitar.

Edit for reference

go to 6:25 for the part I was talking about



HELL NO. im never playing guitar (even if i play clasical style). i picked up bass cause i lied and i will stick to it. i love bass and i don't care if people always look at guitar cause they take the spot light, ima try change that so people see bass in the spotlight to.
bdog1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #26
beer bear
UG's Hermit
 
beer bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lahti, Finland
Calm down. We're not telling you to go **** yourself. We're trying to give you advice. No need to act like a badass. You just end up looking like an idiot. Also, don't boast about not practicing. If you don't practice, there's no chance in hell that you actually can play Primus songs.
As far as further suggestions go:

1. Don't limit yourself to only playing bass. My advice would be to learn as many instruments you can. Playing keys won't make you a better bass player, it'll make you a better musician. Learning to play drums won't help you with playing bass immediately. It will however give you a much better understanding of rhythm.
2. Drop the ego. No serious musician is ever going to work with you. This is not an opinion, this is fact.
3. I have no reason to not believe that you're as good as you say you are. Just make sure that you're as good as you say you are. I've seen too many players over estimate their abilities and then end up way over their heads with a piece they have to learn.
beer bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
moody git
I bad writing
 
moody git's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London; UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer bear
If you don't practice, there's no chance in hell that you actually can play Primus songs.

+1 (as well as the rest of the post)

even with practicing there is a certain amount of 'being les claypool' that is needed :P:
for me, american life is a prime example of this. i can play it 'my way' but as soon as i try and do it with the same strumming pattern as les everything goes to pot and sounds like arse.
__________________
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP

Last edited by moody git : 02-14-2013 at 09:16 AM.
moody git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
skippy_moogoose
30 Rhythm Points...O yeah
 
skippy_moogoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
+1 (as well as the rest of the post)

even with practicing there is a certain amount of 'being les claypool' that is needed :P:
for me, american life is a prime example of this. i can play it 'my way' but as soon as i try and do it with the same strumming pattern as les everything goes to pot and sounds like arse.


Perfect example...I can play the strumming pattern, get the rhythm the same, hell, even sing it and play it, but that constant low G slap he has on every gosh darn beat whilst doing all that? Not a chance!
That's what I'm trying to get at here...and no offence OP, but writing a 3 post long diatribe involving cussing, boasting about not practising and once again trying to come across as the bee's knees and trying to hold the maturity high ground makes you look pretty silly!
Firstly it breaks forum rules on double posting (excusable in the right circumstances but we have an edit button for a reason), secondly, the fact you resort to insults and cussing questions your maturity, especially as, being as these are typed conversations with no time limit whatsoever you have the chance to be as well written and eloquent as you like and thirdly the fact you state along the lines of never wanting to pick up another instrument because you want to be in the spotlight on bass says to me that you don't want to be a musician or even a bass player per se, you want to show off, that's all!
Part of that I guess is age, but please heed this advice, I was like you, never wanted to play anything but bass, and figured I was the Sh*t!! Turns out I'm not, and my bass playing, in particular my time keeping and groove has improved so much by picking up a guitar!! I have a better appreciation of instrumental dynamics, and what can do which in song, and all this happened without me even realising!
Don't talk to us about breaking girls hearts or being in trouble with the law, msot of us here are in our mid 20's +, we've been wheelers, dealers, conners, artists, lovers, band leaders, druggies, thugs, the lot, we don't care, it's not a competition, and if it was, you haven't a chance of winning, and that applies to music as well! Here's a hard truth: You're NOT gonna be a rock star! There, I said it, especially as a bass player, even if you get into a good band, who get lucky, get signed and such, in the 21st century, true rock starts don't exist, your 40 years to late, and even if they did, you really think magazines and stuff want to talk to the freakin' bass player?
nope...
So, take a serious look at yourself, and please, have a good long think, you come across as having a guitarist mentality, that's not a bad thing btw! You also come across as very young and a tad rude, again, not bad, and I'm not criticising, but it's how you're being seen from an outside perspective! You say you love bass, that's great, learn to play in the damn pocket and to be the glue! Go listen to James Jamerson, Duck Dunn and other old school bass players! Don't think about solo's, or slap licks, or triplets, or strumming! Learn how to drive a song with no-one even noticing you're there, but sure as hell noticing when you're not! THAT is a bass player's mentality!
I realise I may be coming across as rude myself here, and a little harsh! I apologise! There's no inflexion in typing, and ideally, I'd love to sit down over a drink with you and explain this...but that's never gonna happen, so this will have to do!
Wall of text over!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"

Last edited by skippy_moogoose : 02-14-2013 at 03:49 PM.
skippy_moogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #29
RyanStorm13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Well usually once you get past everyone elses music, that's when you write your own music.

I mean you can always learn a new instrument....and make a solo album.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #30
jakey333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog1099
i get where you are coming from, but unfortunatly i am one of those complete ass holes who actually does find it easy, and i get all my music from ultimate guitar and use that unless it sounds way different from the song, and btw, the first song i ever played on bass was living on a preyer, and that was cause i lied about playing bass. since then i have been doin a fair bit of practise and goin through bass teacher after bass teacher. my last bass teacher even admited that the only thing he could teach me was soloing stuff and the theory side of stuff


You know what? I have been playing the guitar for 20 odd years.

I hate people judging my playing, I consider I am absolutely crap but others say different.

As most people who know me know, David Gilmour is my idol. He is one of the simplest players in the world. Nothing difficult, nothing fancy, all pretty much staight ahead minor pent with a few bells and whistles.

That is until you start living his playing...then you realise just how much goes into one bend, just how amazing and difficult to copy his finger and whammy vibrato are (just listen to the 1st solo notes of Echoes from Gdansk- easy to play badly, so difficult to play well as he does, bends are 4ths and 5ths with HUGE vibrato, sniper accuracy and amazing phrasing on them.) There are a number of bends he's performed live that I don't even know how to begin to replicate- because the devil is in the detail

Then you get to his tone, arguably the greatest of all guitarists. I have wasted THOUSANDS trying to get close, forgetting of course that he'll sound just more like him with 3 Boss pedals and a Roland Cube than I will with Hiwatts and a full Pete Cornish rig, simply because the tone is in his fingers, not in the gear.

Whilst I still love his tone and playing, I now try to develop my own tone and style, but do it through influences (and he remains no 1 , but others such as Bonamassa, Sambora, Kossoff, Buckingham also are big influences for me).

David is who is is because of the accessibility of his solo's, how he PLAYS THE SONG not the guitar (I bet I could whistle 90% of his solo's- how many players can you say that for?) and the fact you can probably get 75% to most after a year of playing. However, the missing 25% might take you 20 years to nail.

Anyway, my point is, just because you think you've gotten close, be less arrogant (sorry - I am being blunt), and instead be modest and be hypercritical. Really analyse the nuances of your playing and of your influence's playing.....as an example, listen to Guy Pratt's amazing sense of timing and space; listen to the speed and power of Entwhistle, listen to the rumble and raw aggression of JJ Burnel, listen to the unmatchable groove of Bernard Edwards and nail their technique and how they play the MUSIC and the SONG, learn how players like Guy and Bernard sit 'in the pocket' and hold a band together.

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL.

;-)

Last edited by jakey333 : 02-15-2013 at 06:19 AM.
jakey333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!
 
Emperor's Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
I'm a big fan of the character the bass has in Ne Obliviscaris:


Why am I on the bass forums?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralFan
My name is Lord Pussygrabber III of the Playboy Mansion, great-grandson of Donald Donald MacDonald.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.