Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
maggot9779
UG's Saint Nicduck
 
maggot9779's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Birmingham, UK
This is making me angry.
__________________
OBEY THE DUCK!



Last.fm

Steam
maggot9779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #22
lncognito
Encephalectomized
 
lncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The ever-changing mass of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Sorry to say this, but I've been watching this debate for 2 hours now and have not seen a single person stand up against the bill without referencing their faith.

Granted plenty of Christians have stood up in support, but it seems to be the only grounds on which people are opposing it.
Well, they can't exactly go up there and say "I'm a bigoted idiot, and want to prevent people from happiness with whatever arbitrary measures I can".
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot9779
This is making me angry.
What exactly is making you angry? A bit dangerously vague in this thread.

Last edited by lncognito : 02-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.
lncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
Trowzaa
phoot
 
Trowzaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
The UK doesn't have gay marriage? Well, you guys suck more than America! Get at me!


We're not as against it as you seem to be though
__________________
if you can't handle me when i'm bulking then you don't deserve me when i'm swole xo
Trowzaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
willT08
Banned
 
willT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncognito
Well, they can't exactly go up there and say "I'm a bigoted idiot, and want to prevent people from happiness whatever arbitrary reasons I can".

Well one guy simply said "I am voting against the bill because I'm a Conservative"...

Not sure what you may want to equate the word Conservative with after that
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
RickyThomson
Registered User
 
RickyThomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Latest figures I can find is the 2011 census, 59% of the UK is Christian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/data...cation#religion

Of course, Christian doesn't equal being against gay marriage.


Well, 59% as a statistic probably comes down to children being christened at birth and simply labeled as one. I don't think the belief is in the majority. I wouldn't say 59% were actual "practicing" christians.
__________________
RickyThomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
 
lolmnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
We're not as against it as you seem to be though

With our president who supports it and everything
__________________
*-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
maggot9779
UG's Saint Nicduck
 
maggot9779's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Birmingham, UK
What's the big deal with polygamy?
__________________
OBEY THE DUCK!



Last.fm

Steam
maggot9779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
 
Skynyrd890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Some have bought up concerns that this would fall down soon after the bill is passed.

Others have bought up concerns like "What if a teacher refuses to teach marriage as a union between any two people because they don't agree with it. Will they be removed?". To which I say yes, if you can't do your job then of course you get fired.


Wait, are you saying churches still won't marry gays, or that it'll be removed from any legislation?

And do schools there really "teach" marriage?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Bitch idiot children
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
willT08
Banned
 
willT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyThomson
Well, 59% as a statistic probably comes down to children being christened at birth and simply labeled as one. I don't think the belief is in the majority. I wouldn't say 59% were actual "practicing" christians.

Studies have shown that people check 'Christian' simply because they 'think they're a good person'. The census is not useful for gauging the number of practicing anythings, but especially Christians in the UK

EDIT: ^^^ Sorry, I'm not following the first point, could you restate it for me? What will be removed?

As for the second, I'm sure in Citizenship classes marriage is discussed.

Last edited by willT08 : 02-05-2013 at 01:49 PM.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
gabcd86
isn't French.
 
gabcd86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Camden, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot9779
What's the big deal with polygamy?


It's weird, conservatives acts like it's the big scary monster that will be unleashed by allowing gay marriage, but not only is it a stupid argument, the fact that that is seen as beyond the pale is unfortunate in itself.
__________________
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better


UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
lncognito
Encephalectomized
 
lncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The ever-changing mass of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Well one guy simply said "I am voting against the bill because I'm a Conservative"...

Not sure what you may want to equate the word Conservative with after that
>___>

It's a bit too easy to do precisely what you imply, though, but he does - inadvertently - raise an interesting point against conservatism. What value is there to simply preserve something because it is and has been, when it is detrimental to the well-being of society - and how responsible is an ideology whose main tenet is the pursuit of this?
lncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
magnus_maximus
lord of the files
 
magnus_maximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: behind you
God I hate Conservatives.
__________________
captain cabinets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #33
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
I don't see a problem with polygamy or polyandry. Aint no skin off my ass
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
Trowzaa
phoot
 
Trowzaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
With our president who supports it and everything


I forgot that the leader of the country is representative of the entire population as a whole, my mistake.
__________________
if you can't handle me when i'm bulking then you don't deserve me when i'm swole xo
Trowzaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
gabcd86
isn't French.
 
gabcd86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Camden, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
God I hate Conservatives.


Yeah. It annoys me that they were allowed to be the ones to introduce this bill.
__________________
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better


UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #36
lncognito
Encephalectomized
 
lncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The ever-changing mass of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabcd86
It's weird, conservatives acts like it's the big scary monster that will be unleashed by allowing gay marriage, but not only is it a stupid argument, the fact that that is seen as beyond the pale is unfortunate in itself.
But what is the deal with polygamy, though? Except for that it has traditionally been an one-sided extension of the patriarchy that suppressed women, I don't see why several people should be prohibited from marrying.

Edited for precision.

Last edited by lncognito : 02-05-2013 at 02:00 PM.
lncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
 
lolmnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I forgot that the leader of the country is representative of the entire population as a whole, my mistake.

Well, kind of. Cuz a majority of people voted for him based on his views and policies.
__________________
*-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
Trowzaa
phoot
 
Trowzaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Well, kind of. Cuz a majority of people voted for him based on his views and policies.


Majority being roughly 51%. Hardly representative of the whole.
__________________
if you can't handle me when i'm bulking then you don't deserve me when i'm swole xo
Trowzaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #39
gabcd86
isn't French.
 
gabcd86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Camden, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncognito
But what is the deal with polygamy, though? Except for that it has traditionally been an one-sided extension of the patriarchy that suppressed women, I don't see why several people shouldn't be allowed to marry if their religion allows it.


Yeah, exactly. If it's a consenting arrangement by several people, then I have no ****s to give.
__________________
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better


UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I forgot that the leader of the country is representative of the entire population as a whole, my mistake.

Well he is democratically elected. But your confusion's understandable what with your queen and all
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
No joke that's how I feel

edit: unless that's a gay thing
ErikLensherr is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.