Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Mainer
UG's Cosmic Revolutionary

Robert Johnson-esque Delta Blues

Being a primarily blues guitarist (Stevie Ray Vaughan and B.B. King being huge influences), I stumbled upon Robert Johnson and immediately got hooked on the sound of that fingerstyle Delta Blues. I'd love to be able to cover a couple of his songs, but for the life of me I can't seem to wrap my mind or my fingers around that way of playing. Any tips?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Geldin

Go slow. Fingerpicking is hard to do. Practice slowly and focus on smooth, clean finger movements and precision. Speed will come with time.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
DylanHendrix
Acid King

Well first of all he's using an open tuning, mostly open A I believe, this tuning is rather hard on the neck of the guitar so I'd suggest tuning to Open G and then using a capo. The key to this style IMO is the rhythm of the picking hand, you have to be able to keep a steady bass note going the entire time. It is EXCEPTIONALLY hard music to play, especially if you want to sing along. This video should be of interest to you:
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Mainer
UG's Cosmic Revolutionary

Thanks guys And DylanHendrix, I was actually just watching Clapton's cover of Me And The Devil Blues from this same session
Old 02-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Ignore

I got what you need. This is gold.
This guy teaches the delta style pretty much exactly, because he transcribed it from the recordings.
But its very important to keep listenting to the songs to make youre own decisions once you know your way around stuff.

Here you go:
He has playlists with lessons of a bunch of the old guys, including Robert Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/user/blah148
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: