Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
GuitarL91

Time for a new guitar ---> BOUGHT IT!!! :)

I bought the PRS SE EG!! Thanks guys!

Hi guys,

I consider myself as a beginning guitar player. I started off with a Squier starters pack because I wouldn't lose a bunch of money when I didn't have the discipline to practise a lot. When it turned out that I would practise a lot, I would by a a new guitar anyway so starting of with a starters pack was a well suiting solution for me.

I put in some decent practise hours and currently I am pretty addicted to playing the guitar. I recognize the limitations of my Squier and I think it is time to take my play to the next level. Therefor I am looking around for a new guitar. I've been reading lots of reviews, I've been to music stores and read a lot so I did my research. Anyway, I probably miss out on some awesome guitars so I am asking for your help.

What I am looking for in a guitar:
- Because I am still a beginner, I'm stil discovering my own sound. Therefor I wouldn't pinpoint on a specific typ of guitar. An allround beast would be a good choice.
- I prefer a bright and clear sound (just natural preference). It is not mandatory tho!
- Well playable neck
- Budget is around €400/€500 max
- This will be my first quality electric guitar.
- I like to play funk/jazz/blues/rock/etc. I am definitely not a shredder/metal/heavy metal type of guy

What are your opinions/experiences with my picks underneath? Which one did I miss out on?

My picks so far:
- PRS SE EG
- Fender Standard Stratocaster
- Hagstrom Ultra Swede
- Ibanez SA260FM
- Gretch models under €500
- Schecter Omen-6 Extreme

I bought the PRS SE EG!! Thanks guys!

Last edited by GuitarL91 : 02-08-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Bought it :)
GuitarL91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Silver Hilton
Old enough

If you like the strat shape, I'd go for the Fender standard. Especially if you look around used, they are pretty affordable, and are a very solid guitar that will hold it's value well. They are also very upgradable; if you want to change the sound a bit, there are myriad options. you just buy new pickups for it.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18

Last edited by Silver Hilton : 02-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hilton
If you like the strat shape, I'd go for the Fender standard. Especially if you look around used, they are pretty affordable, and are a very solid guitar that will hold it's value well. They are also very upgradable; if you want to change the sound a bit, there are myriad options. you just buy new pickups for it.

I like the strat shape, but I am open to other types of guitars. So it is definitely not a must. Thanks for your reaction.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
reincarnator

Could you list some bands with a similar sound to what you would like? I'd second the suggestion of the Fender, with the SA coming in second. Both are very versatile guitars.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
reincarnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
SteveHOC
Used Register

Well, with the Squier starter pack, you probably got the amp that went with it. First thing I would suggest is a better amp (for tone). For that you might consider a Vox in the VT series - or, if you're looking for something to utilize pedals with, a low-wattage tube amp (I like my Vox AC4TV for practice).

After that, you could probably get a decent MIM Tele, Strat, or maybe a CV Tele or Strat. You would probably have some money left over after this, and depending on your need, could put together some pedal options.

You could also try to sell off that starter kit to recoup some money, and possibly start saving up for a differently configured guitar to widen your tonal options.

Just some food for thought!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Well, with the Squier starter pack, you probably got the amp that went with it. First thing I would suggest is a better amp (for tone). For that you might consider a Vox in the VT series - or, if you're looking for something to utilize pedals with, a low-wattage tube amp (I like my Vox AC4TV for practice).

After that, you could probably get a decent MIM Tele, Strat, or maybe a CV Tele or Strat. You would probably have some money left over after this, and depending on your need, could put together some pedal options.

You could also try to sell off that starter kit to recoup some money, and possibly start saving up for a differently configured guitar to widen your tonal options.

Just some food for thought!

Sorry I forgot to mention we have a Vox VT20. In the family we also have a Fender American strat (built in 1995) a PRS SE Single Cut and an old Fenix. Today we compared them all (with my Squier) with the Strat as the winnar. It wasn't the Standard Strat I am aiming for, but it can be a guideline. This Strat didn't have the standard perfect sound, I am probably looking for a little warmer in combination with clean.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

You might also want to check out offerings from Godin and Fret-King.

I don't own one, but FK has a decent reputation for delivering quality guitars.

I have used several Godins in the past, and aim to add one to my collection. I have not handled a bad one yet. As I recall, all of their guitars are made in the same factory, so QC is pretty tight.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

you play some jazz so I think a neck humbucker would be good.
you play rock so one in the bridge might be good as well.
funk means single coils.
I don't recommend you buy a guitar with a floyd rose style tremolo. they are a pain in the ass.
an Ibanez S series hardtail would do nicely.
or a new PRS SE Cu24. That's probably your best option, they're beautiful, play awesomely, very warm sounding and I think the new ones have coil tapz
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
lunaticfringe93

Go for the Fender Standard Strat. They're affordable (especially used), highly customizable, bright, clear, versatile, and I believe the Mexican Fenders to be far superior to many of the similarly priced guitars made in China and Indonesia (the Mexico factory is only about 100 miles away from the US Factory).

Also, there's a good chance your hand is going to be used to a strat type neck, since you learned on a squier. It's the natural step up. Getting used to a different neck can be tricky and take some time getting used to.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
ccannon1
Band Geek

Can't go wrong with a Fender strat. I had very similar needs to you when I first started and thought an Epiphone SG would suit my needs, turned out that I hated it within 3 months.

I then got a Fender MIM Standard Strat and have been very happy with it since. Mind you, I play quite the variety of genres (Jazz, Blues, Funk, Punk, Alternative) and the Strat brilliantly covers them all.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
GuitarL91

Thanks guys! I appreciate it a lot. To clarify what sound I am looking for, I am looking on youtube for guitar solo's and decide if that is a sound I like and want my guitar to sound similar. This might help you in advise me some models. If you have a youtube link with a bunch of solo's where I can compare sounds, please share.

Another important fact is that the sound I like do specifically come from that guitar. In the list below you'll see a bunch of strats I liked, but the PRS SE EG I listed kicks ass as well in that sound zone.

20 Solo's:
The sound I liked/looking for: Solo 18, 17, 16, 13, 12, 11, 6, 5, 3, 1.

Any new recommendations regarding to this info that have that sound?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

With only a couple exceptions, you picked Strat solos. So singlecoils will form the foundation. A single HB or P90 should get you most of the way for the rest.

So I'd look for a HS, HSS, P90, P90S, P90SS guitar. Lots of good options exist along those lines in Fender, Fret-King, G&L and Godin. And others besides.

Given that price range, I'd look at Godin first, then Fender, Fret-King and G&L.

The reason I suggest Godin first is that they make all of their guitars in a factory in Canada, so QC is as tight on the low end as it is on the high. I simply have not handled a badly-made Godin product. (I'm sure they exist- nobody is perfect- but I haven't found one yet.) And that QC is coupled with the fact that their guitars also deliver a very nice sound. They don't use bad pickups. Add to that that they generally don't cost as much as similar Fenders (etc.) because they're a smaller company.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
With only a couple exceptions, you picked Strat solos. So singlecoils will form the foundation. A single HB or P90 should get you most of the way for the rest.

So I'd look for a HS, HSS, P90, P90S, P90SS guitar. Lots of good options exist along those lines in Fender, Fret-King, G&L and Godin. And others besides.

Given that price range, I'd look at Godin first, then Fender, Fret-King and G&L.

The reason I suggest Godin first is that they make all of their guitars in a factory in Canada, so QC is as tight on the low end as it is on the high. I simply have not handled a badly-made Godin product. (I'm sure they exist- nobody is perfect- but I haven't found one yet.) And that QC is coupled with the fact that their guitars also deliver a very nice sound. They don't use bad pickups. Add to that that they generally don't cost as much as similar Fenders (etc.) because they're a smaller company.

Thanks for your reaction. Just want to say that this video is not too representative for the different sounds out there. I like the David Gilmour sound a lot, same as Slash in this vid.

The sounds I didn't like too much were 20, 19, 10, 9 and 2.

I will look into your recommendations
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
<3beat

I'd look at an used Godin (SSS or HSS, both are available).

You're basically looking at USA Fender guitars for MIM Fender prices.
<3beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3beat
I'd look at an used Godin (SSS or HSS, both are available).

You're basically looking at USA Fender guitars for MIM Fender prices.

Thanks! New stuff to look in to I will visit the local music stores tomorrow again to compare some stuff. I'll decide soon as I have the opportunity to compare some . As one fellow guitar player told me: "It is almost Valentine's Day, so just fall in love"
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
350EX
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
you play some jazz so I think a neck humbucker would be good.
you play rock so one in the bridge might be good as well.
funk means single coils.
I don't recommend you buy a guitar with a floyd rose style tremolo. they are a pain in the ass.
an Ibanez S series hardtail would do nicely.
or a new PRS SE Cu24. That's probably your best option, they're beautiful, play awesomely, very warm sounding and I think the new ones have coil tapz

I vouch for the new PRS SE as well, I recently bought one and is fantastic. Also fits your price range and is very versatile
350EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #17
Emster 23

My two cents is that you already have solid body, so get at least a semi, humbuckers (maybe splitable?). Lots to chose from..... And there is Reverend. Super build and playability, and have that bass contour knob to fatten it up. My rev 6 gun is better than any strat I have played. And being an old fart, I have played a lot. But then again, maybe my hearing is going out... they make semis too... I just figure why get more of the same as already have...
Emster 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #18
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emster 23
My two cents is that you already have solid body, so get at least a semi, humbuckers (maybe splitable?). Lots to chose from..... And there is Reverend. Super build and playability, and have that bass contour knob to fatten it up. My rev 6 gun is better than any strat I have played. And being an old fart, I have played a lot. But then again, maybe my hearing is going out... they make semis too... I just figure why get more of the same as already have...

Damnit! Considering what I just posted in my NGD, I should have mentioned Reverend!

Even if you don't go for a semihollow, Reverends are very well made, and their korina bodies deliver niiiice tone. They have a definite retro style.

The one and only hardware downside for you, GuitarL91, is that except for the 6 Gun and a couple of sig models, most of their singlecoil guitars come with P90s, not standard singlecoils. That means they're not quite going to sound like a Strat or Tele.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-07-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #19
GuitarL91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Damnit! Considering what I just posted in my NGD, I should have mentioned Reverend!

Even if you don't go for a semihollow, Reverends are very well made, and their korina bodies deliver niiiice tone. They have a definite retro style.

The one and only hardware downside for you, GuitarL91, is that except for the 6 Gun and a couple of sig models, most of their singlecoil guitars come with P90s, not standard singlecoils. That means they're not quite going to sound like a Strat or Tele.

Yes could be a problem. Btw, I decided to slow down on my research for a new guitar and spend more time playing
Old 02-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
GuitarL91

Today I heard/played the PRS SE EG and the Fender Strat and the PRS was the winner. From the first moment I heard/played the PRS I was in love.

At the other hand we plugged in a Ibanez SA160FM and it kicks ass as well. Lots of value for the guitar and it is remarkably cheaper...

Rate This Thread: