Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
snotz2k6

Strat Or Tele?

Looking to buy my first electric, I've played both strats and teles in guitar shops, but I love both so much. Could someone who knows a bit about guitars guide me?
Ps squier affinity is the model of strat/tele I can afford
snotz2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

You need an amp too though right? Do you have one already?

I'd say don't buy any Squier Affinity. Save up for a Classic Vibe as a minimum and even then, I'd say save up for a Mexican Fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
You need an amp too though right? Do you have one already?

I'd say don't buy any Squier Affinity. Save up for a Classic Vibe as a minimum and even then, I'd say save up for a Mexican Fender.

+1

This will also come down to personal preference.
We need budget, city, style of music you'd like to play, etc.
I would definitely save up for a CV version of either guitar, the Affinity line is good for beginners, but you'll outgrow it quickly, and if you're in it for the long haul, a CV or MIM is a better option. The Affinity series seems to be for parents buying their kid a guitar, with no knowledge of the instrument, looking to keep price down.

If you're willing to go used, you can score a bit more for less too.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
ekomouse

I used to own an Affinity Telecaster. Not a bad guitar at all, pickups are hot so it lends itself to distorted playing. Cleans were passable, not a problem if you're going to be running pedals or using a modelling amp. I would agree to buy a Classic Vibe USED, for around 80 dollars more than a new Affinity. The new 2013 models all look nice, but aside from the Mary Kaye Stratocaster, I would pass and buy a used model for way cheaper.
ekomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
ecvMatt
clamper

Strats seem, to me, to be a little more forgiving to beginning players.

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
ecvMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
snotz2k6

Oh yeah well I like the vaccines, the clash, bruce springsteen, pixies, cure, Libertines and the old arctic monkeys I ****ing hate their new stuff it's too pop-y
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
snotz2k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
+1

This will also come down to personal preference.
We need budget, city, style of music you'd like to play, etc.
I would definitely save up for a CV version of either guitar, the Affinity line is good for beginners, but you'll outgrow it quickly, and if you're in it for the long haul, a CV or MIM is a better option. The Affinity series seems to be for parents buying their kid a guitar, with no knowledge of the instrument, looking to keep price down.

If you're willing to go used, you can score a bit more for less too.

My parents are buying me the guitar lol they wanted to but a bullet but I was like **** that no guitar for 99 can be good, So I said I'd go halves with them for my birthday but I still don't know whether to go strat or tele they're both beautiful guitars
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotz2k6
Oh yeah well I like the vaccines, the clash, bruce springsteen, pixies, cure, Libertines and the old arctic monkeys I ****ing hate their new stuff it's too pop-y

Save up and get a MiM Tele, lots of those artists use them. They look nice, but the affinity series aren't nice. It's a Ford KA with a Ferrari paint job.

Their old stuff was poppy, mate. Brianstorm, Teddy Picker, that's completely pop, good, but still pop. Their new stuff is heading into desert rock and it's very good and much more articulate.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-06-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
snotz2k6

I like their 2004 demo's but after the first album I don't think they did very well. Their new album will not be anything like desert rock, Josh Homme isn't aiding them on it like he did the last two(Josh Homme - Queens of the stone age)
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I think we all know who Josh Homme is.

Demos? Their MySpace stuff? It wasn't the finished article. Their first album and last 2 were excellent. It's definitely headed towards a more Queens sound IMO. R U Mine was amazing, a great rock riff inspired by Led Zep and Queens.

I would be surprised if they move away from the riff heavy, wall of sound ethos and back to singing about taxis and bouncers. They're not quite kids anymore.

Quote:

Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
snotz2k6

Oh no they won't sart singing about nightclubs and stuff again, I just don't think it's desert rock. Humbug was amazing I will admit, but I just don't like this new image in general not just the music but the haircuts and the ****** skull pinky ring and that. This is off-topic, I feel lile we are on 4chan without the sick pictures
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Unfortunately if you make statements about bands people may not agree with them, especially if they are subjective statements! I don't think they got more poppy, I think they got less poppy and I hope they'll continue with their Josh Homme inspired direction.

This is hardly like that site, we're talking about the possible direction of a rock and roll band.

If you want that, go play in the Pit!

Besides, it seems like you have your answer. The Affinitys are not good guitars. Save up longer and get a MiM Tele or Strat, either will do. I think the Tele.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-06-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
dngrsdave

I have a Squier Tele & a Squier Standard Strat. Both are fine guitars. Since you tried both and like them both it comes down to what type of music you want to play.

If you are going to be playing open tuning or drop tuning, I would get the Tele because of the fixed bridge. You can still get alot of different tones through this guitar even though there are only 2 pickups with a 3 position switch by adjusting your tone control and through pick attack.

If you want a to use a wammy bar, the Strat is for you. Pick the one you are going to be Happy with and play the most. Once you become a better player you will see what type of guitar you will need and your next one can be much nicer and more expensive.

Another Good thing about starting with a lower priced guitar is that you can learn how to set-up a guitar and learn the proper maintenance . As you go along you can modify the guitar and alter it to your liking. This way as you progress to an expensive guitar,you'll know how to mod it and care for it.

Heavy Metal Thunder

Last edited by dngrsdave : 02-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.
dngrsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
ccannon1
Band Geek

Save for a classic vibe tele or MIM tele
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Bear in mind that the trem on a Squier probably won't stay in tune for very long if you use it.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #16
Emster 23

Those 50's strat CVs are exceptional value imho. I got my bro an affinity tele, he said he wanted to learn (wall candy I think)... but spent afternoon at GC that sounded as good as some $800 reg teles (or was it they sounded bad?). IF you get the right one, they can be gems. There is not a much simpler design than a tele: slab of wood and a couple pickups. maple fretboard too... great for poppin kinda fun. remember not to "dime" everything, btw
Emster 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #17
barbuzim1

A strat is a very classic choice to begin with.

But do to the poor bridge & tuning machines it goes out of tune all the time, even in CV.
The Tele CV is a sure win.
But if you like Eric Clapton, Jimi Handrix & SRV, the tele just won't do.
If you want a strat give up the Squier & move up to MIM, a very good beginners guitar.
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emster 23
Those 50's strat CVs are exceptional value imho. I got my bro an affinity tele, he said he wanted to learn (wall candy I think)... but spent afternoon at GC that sounded as good as some $800 reg teles (or was it they sounded bad?). IF you get the right one, they can be gems. There is not a much simpler design than a tele: slab of wood and a couple pickups. maple fretboard too... great for poppin kinda fun. remember not to "dime" everything, btw

You'll need to compare a very good CV to a very poor Mexican Tele to say that the CV is as good as a MiM. A MIA? Not in a million years. I've got 3 tele's. A MIA, a Thinline and a MiM. I've owned 2 further Teles. The MIA sounds so much clearer, brighter, the construction is generally much better.

The pine CV body itself isn't as nice a wood as ash or alder and just doesn't resonate as nicely. The CV are made on a budget and are made well on that budget but aren't as nice as the MiM.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
krispi180

Strat and Tele sure is a couple of two legendary body shapes, as they have been around quite for a while now. Although basically they are both a creation of the same company or should I say of the same man, they aren't meant to be even similar. Firstly, they are quite different regarding the thickness of body, therefore the weights are different, which results in a whole lot of other things: sound of course, playability, looks, comfort. Here is a good overview of all the important differences.
krispi180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
ekomouse

Just for clarification, Leo Fender made the Telecaster as a cheap guitar for the working man. The reason why Telecasters sound so good is in their design. The CV50's will sound more vintage Telecaster-like than a MIM due to the Alnico pickups and 3 saddle bridge. Pine is a great tone wood and was used in Fender MIA guitars in the past, and still being used in CS Fenders of the present along with by other reputable builders such as Ron Kirn.
ekomouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: