Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
RedMist

I love my American Tele, but I would have bought an American Strat if I could have afforded it. The Strat is more versatile IMO, but the Tele has a great sound and feels good in your hands.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
bigblockelectra

You can make a "fake" telecaster sound using a strat by doing a simple modification. There is a little more bass, but it kind of has the same telecaster qualities to it. You can't get the exact sound however. It is very unique and quite pleasing to the ear. I know telecasters are used a lot for American country music, but they could sound good in any sort of venue.

If I were you, I would get the guitar I wanted right now so I'd have someting to play with, and save money for a Mexican version. When I have about enough, I would sell the Squier and hope to get about 60%-75% what I paid and put that towards the Mexi. If you get the telecaster now, and decide you don't like it, you can switch to the Mexican strat once you have the cash (or vice-versa).

If you do choose a strat and want to mod it, just search for "seven sound" stratocaster and you will find the wiring diagram. There is a guy in England who makes the wiring as a direct drop in, but it costs much less to do it yourself. It you are not comfortable with soldering you could go the drop-in route.

Look around on this guy's youtube channel. These guys go over the differences in the squier, mexi, and usa versions. You can find this done on telecasters and stratocasters.

Last edited by bigblockelectra : 02-07-2013 at 03:04 PM.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispi180
Strat and Tele sure is a couple of two legendary body shapes, as they have been around quite for a while now. Although basically they are both a creation of the same company or should I say of the same man, they aren't meant to be even similar. Firstly, they are quite different regarding the thickness of body, therefore the weights are different, which results in a whole lot of other things: sound of course, playability, looks, comfort. Here is a good overview of all the important differences.

Well, the link you posted said that Tele's are use mostly for country music and strats more for rock. I think that statement is a bit false, if you ask me.

Both an HSS Strat and a Tele can do rock pretty well. Just that the tele would have more of a sharper, meaner sound while the strat would have, as many people say, a quackier sound.
_ThePanda_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #24
switchfooter

For your first guitar I would go for the strat, because they are a little more versatile than a tele.
In my opinion a squier is a great first guitar, especially if your budget is limited. I wouldnt buy an affinity or a bullet unless your willing to upgrade the pups and electronics because in a year or so you will realize how crappy it sounds. A vintage modified or a classic vibe series would be a much better choice, you can probably find a used one for not much more than a new bullet or affinity.

I would recommend joining squier-talk forum and asking some questions there.
switchfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
peskypesky

17 years ago, i bought a Squier Strat. 14 years ago, I bought a Squier Affinity Tele.
I now have 7 strats (6 of them are Squiers).

So, I love Strats, and I love Squiers.
When I play my Tele, i miss having a tremolo, and i miss having 5 sounds instead of only 3.

Last edited by peskypesky : 02-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
So, I love Strats, and I love Squiers.
When I play my Tele, i miss having a tremolo, and i miss having 5 sounds instead of only 3.

Nashville Tele or Squier VM Tele SSH with a Bigsby
_ThePanda_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

Buy used from a guitar shop. Avoid guitar center if you can. Purchase a MIM fender, strat or tele and you'll be gold. Purchasing a cheap guitar is just $200 down the drain. Look at this as an investment, unless you plan on giving up in the next year. My first bass was cheap as hell, but that's another story. My first guitar was a MIM strat. Still my old faithful, but I did put noisless pickups in it.
RockAddict311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
RyanStorm13

I think Tele are the best shaped guitars ever, but also think the squiers are less comfortable in comparison.

I could play a tele for hours and can use them easily. Strats aren't bad, I just prefer Tele's over them.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #29
Emster 23

"You'll need to compare a very good CV to a very poor Mexican Tele to say that the CV is as good as a MiM. " Wasn't a cv I was comparing, it was rock bottom affinity tele... it had that raunch quality down. Teles aren't prom queens. I didn't look for country of origin, I just wanted to compare dirt cheap with dusty cheap. If $800 is dusty cheap. I would hope that the MIA with their price tags up there sound better, otherwise why spend it?
And Roy Buchannan changed my mind about what you can do with a tele. He had no wah (did it with tone and vol knobs), had no tremelo, did stuff beyond belief. What? No pedal boards? But, but.....Some young guys may not know of him, since he is dead now long time, but watch this video and stand in awe and amazement:

Last edited by Emster 23 : 02-13-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Emster 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #30
RyanStorm13

^Somewhere else on here, I said that Tele's are capable of any genre whether Country or Metal. John 5 is another tele player that shows you what they are capable of.

RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #31
azrael4h

IMO, I find the Strat marginally more comfortable to play, but unless you have serious back trouble you probably won't care about the difference. I also have a preference for Strats, but that's more due to so many of my major influences using them.

Both are pretty versatile guitars, so you won't go wrong with either. Of course I'd get a Strat, but that's again personal preference not related to sound or quality. I eventually plan on getting a Tele, but I want a new amp first. Otherwise, I'd have already bought about one.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #32
snotz2k6

Yeah I'm gonna go with an affinity strat
snotz2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #33
dannyalcatraz

Of Roy Buchanan, let me say that I do not question his skill & talent...but I sometimes find his taste lacking. I almost didn't want to keep listening after about halfway through tht opening song.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
Mur

Do yourself a favor and buy a Mexican tele. No fussy tremolo to worry about, just a block of wood and two pickups. Very simple and durable guitar.
-Godin Lg (Dimarzio Evo2 and Air Norton)
-Fender MIM Strat with hotrails
-Custom Tele
-Dean Hardtail USA
-Dean 79 USA
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
snotz2k6

well, I got my squief bullet STRAT today and it really is exactly what I wanted. The neck is beautifullly smooth, medium frets make it so easy to play. And it sounds amazing for a guitar that costed 100 euro. Obviously it's no match for a mexican or american but i love this guitar so much and i've had it for about two hours. Very playable, great beginner strat.
snotz2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #36
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Well alright then! Happy New Guitar Day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: