Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
davehail1092

'46 Dual pro

Ok, So, i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find parts for my 1946 fender dual pro.

looking for tubes, knobs, switches.... would like to do this all original!

[IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y386/davehail1/DSCN0989_zps2ed08613.jpg[img[
davehail1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
davehail1092

Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

there are many electronics providers out there. you should be able to find many caps and resistors from mouser electronics and the such.

looks like you can still find NOS 6SJ7's pretty easy still. just run a google search

weber should be able to provide replacement speakers if you need them, they are a great source for old speaker clones, especially jensons. weber also can provide some obscure or odd-spec'd capacitors as well, i have a weber cap in my Gretsch Supro Valco (it was the only place he could find a direct replacement).

http://www.tedweber.com/

edit: i think you will have a problem finding all original parts, especially stuff like knobs.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Roc8995

Please please please take it to a good tech. It's going to need some serious work if it's all or even mostly original, and with an amp that old and rare you should not be working on that yourself.

If it doesn't have it already it's going to need at least a recap and a 3-prong cord installed, and then probably some other work besides.

This is a seriously valuable piece of history and you should be really careful about how it's treated. Find a respected amp tech and get their opinion on what needs to be done. Please don't just go on Weber or Mouser and start ordering parts for it.

Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Please please please take it to a good tech. It's going to need some serious work if it's all or even mostly original, and with an amp that old and rare you should not be working on that yourself.

If it doesn't have it already it's going to need at least a recap and a 3-prong cord installed, and then probably some other work besides.

This is a seriously valuable piece of history and you should be really careful about how it's treated. Find a respected amp tech and get their opinion on what needs to be done. Please don't just go on Weber or Mouser and start ordering parts for it.

Absolutely this. Please be very careful about what you do to this amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

If I had that thing I'd either send it away to one of the best regarded Fender restorers in the country (I have no idea who that'd be, but if it were me I'd spend a lot of time researching and emailing with guys to figure out who it is) or I'd wrap it in several trash bags, put it in a big tupperware container, fill the tupperware with styrofoam packing peanuts, seal it with ridiculous amounts of duct tape and stash it away until I can afford to send it to that guy.

With something that rare you either do it right or you don't do it.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
davehail1092

well, it still functions perfectly.(the most seewt sounding thing i've ever heard) I Never plan on getting rid of it. just want to keep it in working order in case anything goes wrong with it. If I ever get the money, then without a doubt, i am sending it to a registered fender restorer. but now im barely getting by as it is. oh, and just to sweeten it up a little, it is #89, all electronics are completely original. only thing that isnt is the knobs.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

If it's 100% original, including the filter caps, playing it might be unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
mmolteratx
UG God

Do not touch the insides. If you can't afford to keep it and maintain it, sell it on or leave it as is until you can and don't **** it up. There aren't many of those left.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
tubetime86

It needs work then. It needs new caps and a three prong plug, for safety reasons and to prevent a catastrophic failure that could damage the whole amp. You really have a gem there... You're gonna kick yourself pretty bad when you blow the thing up, or worse do a shitty restoration job on it, only to see one go for over $100k at auction ten years later. Pack that thing up until you can afford to take care of it properly.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
davehail1092

well, i'm not going to sell it. ever. This thing has tones o have never heard. and i know i will never find another one but i will look into new caps and a three point plug.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
mmolteratx
UG God

Or sell it to me for $1k as is.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehail1092
well, i'm not going to sell it. ever. This thing has tones o have never heard. and i know i will never find another one but i will look into new caps and a three point plug.

Again, if you're going to take it to a tech, make damn sure they know what they're doing. A lot of techs will just replace caps in old amps without any thought, and every part you remove devalues it. They need to check each and every cap for leakage and ESR, and only replace those that test unacceptably. And if they do remove parts, they need to bag them up and return them to you so that you can return the amp back to stock if you ever need to.

EDIT: And don't you dare replace the tweed. If you want something pretty, just buy a new cab and swap it over. Keep the original in its original state.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
Suhr Classic T
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx : 02-06-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
davehail1092

oh, i wouldnt plan on letting just anyone restore it. I would need a lot of extremely good refrences, and have to see multiple examples of their work. I want the least bit done to it as possible! I want it to be as original as it can be.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Or sell it to me for $1k as is.

Shark.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!