Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
therapture
guitar demon

Musical Slump

Here's the deal. I've been playing for about 7 years now and have come quite a long way from there. I know most techniques and can keep myself in key most of the time. I'm able to compose songs but now that I want to focus more on leads and soloing I'm at a standstill. I can do the monotonous scale climbs and hammering/pull offs etc, but I want to get a better grasp at theories for soloing and more advanced techniques to build my speed and finger strength. Where do I start?
therapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Bazz22

Playing along to backing tracks really helps me with improvisation, which in turn, helps me think of creative leads.

I guess, the simplest way, is to learn solos that you like the sound of, and go from there.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapture
Here's the deal. I've been playing for about 7 years now and have come quite a long way from there. I know most techniques and can keep myself in key most of the time. I'm able to compose songs but now that I want to focus more on leads and soloing I'm at a standstill. I can do the monotonous scale climbs and hammering/pull offs etc, but I want to get a better grasp at theories for soloing and more advanced techniques to build my speed and finger strength. Where do I start?

You start by listening and thinking. You have to stop letting your fingers run over patterns you know and actually think about the music you want to make.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Shornifier
Shornifier

Take a break. Seriously. Best cure for slump is do something else you like and don't touch your guitar for a while until you really miss it and have that motivation to learn again.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Try imagining countermelodies for every song you listen to. Then apply that to your own songs so you hear in your mind how a solo could go. Then try to realise that sound on guitar.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
thetrueballs

All things mentioned above.

Backing tracks, maybe spend a week or two and have fun (playing), and listen to other music genres.

Think of a melody in your head, then try to play it directly on the guitar. Don't just go down your lick library. :-) Try listening to jazz and blues and listen to their PHRASING.

We're not your average teenage rockband. :-)
thetrueballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
barbuzim1

All of the above but remember- you need to incorporate all of it into your writing or improv. If you play a solo you need to analyse what you like about it & try to "steel" the idea.

Record your Improve every now & than & listen to it. maybe you would be surprised in how good you are (or the opposite). the stuff you like in your playing - keep, the stuff you don't try to change, or post a new thread with a more specific problem.
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
La Fin Du Monde

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapture

I'll try to help you, if I can...

Obviously, you would want to learn music theory. You can probably take classes at your local community college, or with a tutor. If you don't want to spend extra cash, you can pick up couple theory books.

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine is a wonderful book which features easy-to-read-and-understand page layout. There are non-jazz theory text-books... like Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne.

If those books are too hard for you, take a step back and try to really absorb basic theory and theory fundamentals.

As for learning advanced techniques and, perhaps, putting together all your current knowledge and infusing 'em with the new, you could really try listening to great guitar players and try to mimick, note-for-note of what they are playing.

There are so many great players, so I don't know who to recommend to you! I think for solos, you must fully grasp the underlying chord progression. This means you have to really know and be able to hear the overall and general sound of each chords and the progression itself.

Are you in a band? If you aren't, join one! By doing so will improve your playing if you play the right music with the right people.
La Fin Du Monde is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: