Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
food1010
Bassist
 
food1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
A power chord technically is not a chord. However, it is beneficial to think of them as segments of chords. For example, an E5 in the key of E major is really an implied E major chord, or I in roman numeral notation.
__________________
Only play what you hear. If you donít hear anything, donít play anything.
-Chick Corea
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #22
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I'm going to write a book about power chords.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #23
bondmorkret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Depends on the scenario, generally without the doubled octave for me, but for huge sounding riffs it can be cool to add the octave, and even the 5th below the root. In fact you can create a sus4 type of chord right across all 6 strings which sounds intense as a powerchord replacement
__________________
Online guitar lessons - Fusion, rock, metal and jazz!
bondmorkret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #24
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
what if i told you

the bass adds another octave below the power chord
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
fanapathy
B-Tuned
 
fanapathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I think it's interesting that some bands have one guitar play the power chord with octave and the other plays the 5th with octave. It sounds damn good sometimes.

I am still puzzled why fuller chords generally don't sound good and usually aren't played with distortion. Often it seems if full chords are used they are divided among several tracks which play 2-max 4 notes each. Is it more to get the higher notes on thicker strings?
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
I think it's interesting that some bands have one guitar play the power chord with octave and the other plays the 5th with octave. It sounds damn good sometimes.

I am still puzzled why fuller chords generally don't sound good and usually aren't played with distortion. Often it seems if full chords are used they are divided among several tracks which play 2-max 4 notes each. Is it more to get the higher notes on thicker strings?


no, people with shit tone just don't know how to play with lower distortion. almost every big modern metal band utilizes large chords these days
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
I think it's interesting that some bands have one guitar play the power chord with octave and the other plays the 5th with octave. It sounds damn good sometimes.

I am still puzzled why fuller chords generally don't sound good and usually aren't played with distortion. Often it seems if full chords are used they are divided among several tracks which play 2-max 4 notes each. Is it more to get the higher notes on thicker strings?

Because distortion makes the overtones louder, and you get mud city with the more shit you cram into that space.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
gunsnroses#1
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabmetallion
I'm no theory guy but with heavy distortion I tend to skip the octave as do most metal bands for the most part simply because it can muddy the chord and make it sound uneven. skipping it also makes playing fast power chords riffs much easier and less tensing to play. full powerchords tend to be used for slower sustained riffs at-least from all the tabs I've seen this is pretty typical of guys like hetfield. Maiden and Sabbath are no exception though, they also tend to use 2 note powerchords


The octave shouldn't "muddy" a the power chord or make it uneven unless your guitar is out of tune, it's the same note as the root.
gunsnroses#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
sweetdude3000
Registered User
 
sweetdude3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Thanks for all. I was wondering why I saw some tab with Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath with the octave in the power chord, but it's probably wrong. I think the three notes has it's place, but the root and fifth only helps bring out the power of the perfect fifth sound and lengthy an edgy character, while the octave doesn't really muddy it, per se, I think rounds it out more. Muddy would probably be like adding the 3rd with distortion.

ETA: Guess it's semantics though. Yea I think that octave does give more overtones so then it gives a muddy character. A major chord with an octave note is probably even more muddy.

Last edited by sweetdude3000 : 02-08-2013 at 05:08 PM.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
Thanks for all. I was wondering why I saw some tab with Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath with the octave in the power chord, but it's probably wrong. I think the three notes has it's place, but the root and fifth only helps bring out the power of the perfect fifth sound and lengthy an edgy character, while the octave doesn't really muddy it, per se, I think rounds it out more. Muddy would probably be like adding the 3rd with distortion.

ETA: Guess it's semantics though. Yea I think that octave does give more overtones so then it gives a muddy character. A major chord with an octave note is probably even more muddy.

I think power chords with octave are more used than power chords without octave. If you want to emphasize the fifth more, you don't play the octave.

I almost always play power chords with an octave.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #31
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
A power chord technically is not a chord. However, it is beneficial to think of them as segments of chords. For example, an E5 in the key of E major is really an implied E major chord, or I in roman numeral notation.


Not so fast, my fine foody friend.

A chord is any time more than one note sounds in unison.

I know, I know we tend to think of chords as triads, but still ...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #32
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
Thanks for all. I was wondering why I saw some tab with Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath with the octave in the power chord, but it's probably wrong. I think the three notes has it's place, but the root and fifth only helps bring out the power of the perfect fifth sound and lengthy an edgy character, while the octave doesn't really muddy it, per se, I think rounds it out more. Muddy would probably be like adding the 3rd with distortion.

ETA: Guess it's semantics though. Yea I think that octave does give more overtones so then it gives a muddy character. A major chord with an octave note is probably even more muddy.


All notes have overtones, but the overtones for the octaves are more likely to agree with each other than an octave plus a fifth, and a third is even less likely to agree.

Octave displacement of the root will just thicken the sound, while the fifth will round it out a bit more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Not so fast, my fine foody friend.

A chord is any time more than one note sounds in unison.

I know, I know we tend to think of chords as triads, but still ...

If it's less than three, then it's a harmonic interval.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #34
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #35
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Certainly not me, kind sir.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #36
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
to everyone who says a chord needs to be three or more notes:

you're absolutely right, carry on.
__________________
i'm on the vidya!

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #37
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
If it's less than three, then it's a harmonic interval.


And also a chord.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #38
chronowarp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Nah bro, a chord is three or more pitches.
__________________
Check out my band Socrates and the Lava Gods
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #39
20Tigers
1
 
20Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless742
They are musically the same with or without the octave. Play what you think sounds best in the current situation.

What he said.
__________________
Si
20Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #40
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
 
Sleepy__Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Butt****, SY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Nah bro, a chord is three or more pitches.


Oh yeah?!!

My teacher says two.

And my teacher is bigger than your teacher and will whup his ass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.