Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
proto77

My Second Guitar Epiphone Les Paul vs. Ibanez RG4EXFM1

I've been playing since mid August of 2012, and from what I've been told by my friends who have five or more years experience, I have been progressing fairly quickly. I like to play anything from bluesy stuff to heavy metal. Someone whose I opinion I respect very much told me to look at used Epi LPs for a second guitar. While I love everything about these instruments, I may have come across a deal on an Ibanez RG4EXFM1 that is in great condition (this guitar also plays very well for me.) Should I keep looking for a nice Les Paul or should I jump on the opportunity to get this Ibanez? Thank you for your help and I apologize if my writing is sub par this time around as I wanted to write this quickly.
proto77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

They're far too different to compare.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer

I'd get the Ibanez. IMHO, the neck joint is way better for soloing, and the neck feels faster overall (due to the finish).

However, try not to get caught in a Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It's possible that once you buy a new guitar, you'll want to keep buying gear just because you think you need it, but keep in mind that you've been playing for less than a year. So try and remember that a new guitar is only as good as your technique. Just my two cents.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that the Ibanez has a floating bridge, which could be a little of a drawback if you change your tuning a lot. In general, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass if you are not entirely aware of the way it works.

Disregard that comment if you have experience with floating bridges.

Last edited by MG_Sora : 02-06-2013 at 07:48 PM.
MG_Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
FruKlingVak

My second guitar was a epiphone LP and it was a great second guitar. I am unfamiliar with the ibanez but from what ive looked at, they are two very different guitars. kind of hard to compare them
FruKlingVak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
romeozdistress

budget? style of music? location?
Digitech Bad Monkey
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
proto77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_Sora
I'd get the Ibanez. IMHO, the neck joint is way better for soloing, and the neck feels faster overall (due to the finish).

However, try not to get caught in a Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It's possible that once you buy a new guitar, you'll want to keep buying gear just because you think you need it, but keep in mind that you've been playing for less than a year. So try and remember that a new guitar is only as good as your technique. Just my two cents.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that the Ibanez has a floating bridge, which could be a little of a drawback if you change your tuning a lot. In general, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass if you are not entirely aware of the way it works.

Disregard that comment if you have experience with floating bridges.

Thank you for your insight! I did have the pleasure of replacing the strings on the ibanez ...Not fun at all.

To everyone else thank you for the help! My problem choosing is literally that they are so different so there really isn't much of a checklist in my head I can write one guitar or the other off for certain features.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto77
Thank you for your insight! I did have the pleasure of replacing the strings on the ibanez ...Not fun at all.

To everyone else thank you for the help! My problem choosing is literally that they are so different so there really isn't much of a checklist in my head I can write one guitar or the other off for certain features.

Then the only thing you can really do is go to a guitar shop and play as many guitars that you like the look of as possible.

(・ω・`)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
proto77

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Then the only thing you can really do is go to a guitar shop and play as many guitars that you like the look of as possible.

Lol I spend more time at guitar center than I care to mention! I know the sound I want but the sound I want comes at a premium price so I'm looking for a guitar that is going to be comfortable and sounds reasonable so I can work on becoming a better guitarist.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
proto77

Btw I have both at my house. I probably should have included this friend is in Arizona for a couple months atm so he let me borrow his guitars so I don't have to play my squier bullet (bleh)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto77
Lol I spend more time at guitar center than I care to mention! I know the sound I want but the sound I want comes at a premium price so I'm looking for a guitar that is going to be comfortable and sounds reasonable so I can work on becoming a better guitarist.

Well if the only guitars that you want to choose are between two completely different ones, then it seems that you don't really know what you want in terms of tone, playability or feel.

(・ω・`)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
proto77

Let me clarify, the Les Paul is what I 'want' so to speak. I would be happy with the Ibanez because it is a comfortable guitar for me and buying it would be convenient and I know that it is in top shape because it is here with me I see it everyday. My other plausible option is to keep my eye on craigslist, hit up ads I'm interested in, and go check them out maybe buying from someone I do not know. I know the history of the particular Ibanez I have here and the wiring, pickups, body, tuners, bridge, etc. have not been fiddled with in a way that might lead to undesirable performance or problems I might find out about later. If I look on craigslist I'm taking a chance, that is in essence my conflict with myself (will I be better off taking that chance.) I should have posted this when I created the thread and I am sorry for any confusion.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
romeozdistress

i just bought a agile al 2000 from ronomusic.com supsoed to be pretty nice instruments.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
proto77

A big thank you to everyone who contributed! I know I was fairly difficult to understand at times but I did end up buying the Ibanez and I love it!

Rate This Thread: