Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
danyal92

theory quesiton

im learning scales. i want to know how to differentiate between a major and its relative minor key e.g Gmajor and Em. Is the tonal centre the only difference? can i solo the Em pentatonic over a Gmajor backing track.
danyal92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
EmilGD
Unregistered User

If you're playing Em pentatonic over G Major, you're essentialy the playing G Major scale.
And you can play whatever you want over anything, it depends on if it sounds the way you want it to sound.
The key is defined by which note the music wants to resolve to (where it feels "at home").
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Yeah, G major and E minor scales share the same notes. So if you play Em pentatonic over a G major song, you are actually playing G major scale.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal92
im learning scales. i want to know how to differentiate between a major and its relative minor key e.g Gmajor and Em. Is the tonal centre the only difference? can i solo the Em pentatonic over a Gmajor backing track.

If you change tonal centre then all the other notes change in their relative position to the tonic. That's why you get the difference in sound between major and relative minor even though they have the same notes.

You can't solo Em pentatonic over a G major backing. You'll actually be soloing in G. The harmony is what defines the key.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal92

If you learnt on a horn or some other instrument where shapes didn't exist, you'd of had this sussed years ago.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
cdgraves

Yes, the only difference is tonal center (modality applies to all scales, you just don't see it much with pentatonics).

Worth noting, however, that you will never play a scale that isn't also the key you're in. When you play "Em" over G major, you're playing G major. When you play Bm over G major, you're playing G lydian. And so forth.

If you try to play Em as Em, it will not sound good, because your melodies will resolve to E, not G. That's why your scale usage and key have to line up, so they share tonality. The two scales may contain the exact same notes, but they function very differently.

Last edited by cdgraves : 02-16-2013 at 07:26 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: