Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #41
jake2412

the only thing i dont understand about developing speed is that people tell you to practice (mostly) chromatics,hows that gonna do it? say i do that and get superhumanly fast at it,how could it help me develop speed in anything BUT chromatics, cause thats the only thing I practiced to get fast ?

not knockin the advice or anything,and i probably sound like a noob,but just asking. Cause thats all people ever tell me.

and could i get maybe a link to the freepower videos your talkin about?

Last edited by jake2412 : 02-12-2013 at 11:29 AM.
jake2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #42
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

the only thing i dont understand about developing speed is that people tell you to practice (mostly) chromatics,hows that gonna do it? say i do that and get superhumanly fast at it,how could it help me develop speed in anything BUT chromatics, cause thats the only thing I practiced to get fast ?

1) chromatics are a decent thing to practice - they develop strength and co-ordination in all 4 fingers if you practice them right and practice them often.

2) when you develop strength and co-ordination, you can apply that where ever you want. Good left hand technique will make most fast playing come much much easier.

That said, just practising chromatics all day is pretty dull and not necessarily the most efficient way to build left hand technique either.

Quote:
and could i get maybe a link to the freepower videos your talkin about?

Click youtube in my sig. These three are probably most relevant (although omg are some of these old now )

You don't need your guitar as vertical as I had in the last video, was a bit paranoid after some left hand problems. If you haven't changed anything in 5 years you haven't learnt anything, eh?
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
deltadaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmorkret
Try the Stylus picks, they're great for building up speed!

Yea that will work

How about paul gilberts drill that too

Simple answer work and work and work and work at it
when you think you have worked it enough,, times that by 1000 and work at that
seriously takes a lot to get great speed.

and lastly RELAX

Playing at 140bpm 32nd notes should feel no harder than when your playing slow
If anything when you relax playing fast can become easier than playing slow..

Last edited by deltadaz : 02-12-2013 at 12:17 PM.
deltadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #44
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2412

I'll add on to what Freepower has said.

Chromatics are good when you start out because it let's you develop decent left hand finger independence and synchronisation between your left and right hands. However, as you've pointed out it isn't the be all and end all of practice methods.

Doing chromatics for like, 5-20 minutes a day or something is fine (especially if you're relatively new to practicing properly) but after a certain point it becomes so much more useful to practice in the same slow, relaxed etc... way but with musical phrases instead of chromatics.

That being said, this mainly applies to the typical 1234 chromatics. Atonal exercises such as Freepower's crazy string skipping spider are very useful and I still practice that exercise around 10 minutes (5 minutes starting on a downstroke, and 5 starting on an upstroke) to improve my alternate picking to this day.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: