Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
badwvlf

What is a decent budget single coil guitar?

My main guitar is a MIM Tele.

I'm looking for something cheap (used under 120) to use as a back up. I break strings somewhat often and would like a back up for shows.

I know the obvious answer is squire Tele. Anyone have any other recommendations?

I don't mind changing strings at a house show. But not at bigger venues.

If it matters gonna be played through an ampeg r50h with matching cab and a mig 100 through avatar 4x12.
badwvlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
jpnyc

Right now Amazon is blowing out Axl Headliner strat copies for under $100. Legacy brand Strat and Tele clones are $99 on Amazon.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
SteveHOC
Used Register

Check out Rondo Music - they have a decent selection of guitars in that price range, and from what I hear, they are of better quality than Squiers.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Pretty much all your basic Squier, LTD, Tokai, Vintage and other such copies are going to be about equal. Some may have very vaguely nicer hardware, but there's no particular hidden secret brand that produces something of much higher quality than the others. At that price you're going to be getting something produed by the thousands from China, Vietnam or Indonesia, and it all results in the same thing.

So, I'd just see what's around. Hit up eBay and your local classifieds in case someone's put up a Squier Classic Vibe series guitar dirt cheap, or one of the LTD Tele copies; the LTDs have an angled heel, at least, and the Squier Classic Vibes have very slightly nicer pickups and body woods than most guitars at that level. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything you need to be looking for, specifically. Everything's pretty much the same at that price point.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Exaaaaactly what MrFlibble said. Ebay is your best bet. I would advise you to save more money or you'll just end up with something that might not even be worth $120.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
JELIFISH19

I would investigate what's causing the string breakage rather than getting a cheap backup. Backups are great and everything but it seems like you're implying that you'll need the backup more often than you should. I would look into minimizing the need for a backup instead. At that price, the backup might have its own problems.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
stonyman65
Unregistered User

I'd look around for a used Tokai, or maybe a used MIM Tele or something. You can find those all day online for around $200. Look in pawn shops too. You can usually find something decent there for not a lot of cash.

As far as the string breakage thing... Make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges around the bridge saddles, the nut, or the tuners. Those 3 places (especially the saddles and nut) are where 99% of all string breakage occurs. Try to knock off any rough spots with some 600 to 1,000 grit sandpaper.

Using some lithium grease or "nut sauce" around those areas will help too, especially with tuning stability.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.

Last edited by stonyman65 : 02-07-2013 at 06:30 PM.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
badwvlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19
I would investigate what's causing the string breakage rather than getting a cheap backup. Backups are great and everything but it seems like you're implying that you'll need the backup more often than you should. I would look into minimizing the need for a backup instead. At that price, the backup might have its own problems.

I've already got it looked at no burrs. I know why I break them.

Heavy picks.
Heavy top light bottom strings.
Going from 2 steps up on some strings to a step down on some.
It's not everyday but its like once every 3-4 practices. Which is enough to need a back up.

Also they always split at the bridge. I should swap to medium or light strings but I love these too much.

Also I am on a budget. I was planning on buying another guitar but got a head instead. So I'm broke.

Last edited by badwvlf : 02-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.
badwvlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: