Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
me+yourmom=69
Banned

cant pick fast enough

so i have been play guitar for 8 month and i cant play fast enough for death metal and stuff, it PISSES me off, what could i be doing wrong?
me+yourmom=69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Geldin

You've been playing for less than a year and you're seriously surprised that you can't play one of the most technically challenging genres of music out there?

Color me surprised.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
perilio

Practice man, 8 months isn't that much.
perilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Kortez3000
Person

Try picking with your fingers close to the tip of your pick, it makes your wrist work less. Also use a metronome and work your way to speed. If you're learning, avoid fast picking right away. That is first build up your speed from slow tempos because if you pick fast and mess up you will LEARN that mistake.
Kortez3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

lol, give yourself another 5 years and you'll still be saying the same thing
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by me+yourmom=69
so i have been play guitar for 8 month and i cant play fast enough for death metal and stuff, it PISSES me off, what could i be doing wrong?

Seriously? That's like saying "why can't I fly a plane yet? I've seen a cockpit before."
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
kratos379

Start slow and do things perfectly right, then speed up. Always make sure you're doing everything right. You'll develop bad habits otherwise. A metronome is important too. It doesn't matter how fast or clean you play if you're constantly speeding up or slowing down. Right now, just focus on having fun with what you're playing. It takes several years to be able to pick that fast. Don't be afraid of trying other genres too. I think playing guitar really helps you appreciate the slower stuff. At least it did for me.
kratos379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
radio_rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos379
Start slow and do things perfectly right, then speed up. Always make sure you're doing everything right. You'll develop bad habits otherwise. A metronome is important too. It doesn't matter how fast or clean you play if you're constantly speeding up or slowing down. Right now, just focus on having fun with what you're playing. It takes several years to be able to pick that fast. Don't be afraid of trying other genres too. I think playing guitar really helps you appreciate the slower stuff. At least it did for me.

Good advice. Take your time, enjoy yourself, and don't beat yourself up for not "progressing fast enough" or whatever. Stick with it and you'll get there.

If you want a helpful exercise in speed-building, grab a metronome (here's a free online one http://www.metronomeonline.com/), set it to a slow click, and play a scale pattern or something first in quarter notes, then eighth notes, then sixteenths. Once you can play your scale at each note value comfortably, kick up the metronome speed a notch or two and try it a little faster. It'll really help you build speed and develop better rhythmic sense over time.
radio_rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
jetwash69

All the above applies. You didn't give enough info to tell you much more specific stuff.

I can recommend using thick strings, a thick pick (2mm) like a Dunlop Gator, and a light touch. Also check out Paul Gilbert's YouTube videos on how to grip the pick and how to angle it.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
barbuzim1

try to check what part of you arm is the fastest: elbow (going up & down with the elbow) Arm (turning the arm in & out) or palm (side to side with the palm).
after you figure out the best motion for you- try to apply it slowly not by playing scales but by playing simple solos & riffs while focusing only on your right hand motion.

another thing is to try & play bursts of supper fast notes. start by playing 3 notes as fast as you can on one beat & than break for another 3. do the same with 4 notes on one beat & rest for 3. go up to 5 notes 4 on the first beat 1 on the second & 2 beats rest.
try doing that on a recording of a song you like & not on a metronome (it more fun this way)
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbuzim1
try to check what part of you arm is the fastest: elbow (going up & down with the elbow) Arm (turning the arm in & out) or palm (side to side with the palm).
after you figure out the best motion for you- try to apply it slowly not by playing scales but by playing simple solos & riffs while focusing only on your right hand motion

Are you trying to say that if he can pick faster with his elbow / arm (which all beginners can basically) then he should practice that? If so then i can bet 99% of people including myself will strongly strongly disagree with the idea of practicing bad technique.
I don't even know what picking with the arm is to be honest :|

Picking from the wrist is the way it should always be done.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
after you figure out the best motion for you- try to apply it slowly not by playing scales but by playing simple solos & riffs while focusing only on your right hand motion.

another thing is to try & play bursts of supper fast notes. start by playing 3 notes as fast as you can on one beat & than break for another 3. do the same with 4 notes on one beat & rest for 3. go up to 5 notes 4 on the first beat 1 on the second & 2 beats rest.
try doing that on a recording of a song you like & not on a metronome (it more fun this way)

oh god no

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me+yourmom=69

Ok, first thing... your user name is stupid.

Secondly, the others are right, you've been playing for absolutely no time at all; you need more time and practice.

Thirdly: don't try and push yourself for pure speed, there's no point and you'll just damage your technique (and possibly your body if you push too hard).

Fourthly: How you practice is much more important than what you practice, you need to work, very slowly, on making small, relaxed movements with the main picking motion coming from your wrist. I mean slowly. Like so slowly you're barely even playing in time; that's the only speed at which you can actually make alterations to your technique because at any speed where it's really recognisable you'll be relying on muscle memory to do anything. Freepower has a very good series of videos on technique: holding the pick, posture (very important), practicing and so on. Go watch those.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
bondmorkret

Try the Stylus picks, they're great for building up speed!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:

Boy, you might be legally ******ed.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
MaaZeus

I have played roughly the same length as you, daily and I cant yet play Seek & Destroy Hetfields part on full speed. Same thing with majority Carcass's Corporal Jigsore Quandary and the mandatory rhythm guitarists solo is total hebrew to me. But I'm in no hurry. I just keep practicing them slowly and surely.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Andy Pollow

?!?! lmao thats a funny thread. DUDE Ive been playin violin for a whole 8 months how come I cant keep up with Paganini's 5th caprice? I think natural is best first - just hold your pick really tight and whip the string as fast as you can. A stiff smooth pick is always easiest for speed. Then it just takes alot of work to actually move that around and play fast music up and down the strings. Lots of time and work.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
just hold your pick really tight and whip the string as fast as you can.

Ignore this TS, holding your pick tight just leads to excess tension and trying to play as fast as you can won't help your practice. Heed Zaphod's advice instead.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Andy Pollow

Quote:
Ignore this TS

I dont know what TS means but really you should ignore all advice and do whatever you want. Sometimes when people start off slow they stay slow cuz fast is different than slow. Id rather play fast and sloppy than slow and tidy cuz its more fun. And then work on making it more accurate.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ yeah, because it's not like almost everyone who plays really well follows the basic principles of relaxation and economy of motion... oh wait they do.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: