Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

Why hate Ovations?

I don't understand why people hate Ovation guitars that much?

I've bought a http://www.thomann.de/gb/ovation_cc24s_5_b_stock_2.htm

instead of

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/ndx20

You might say I'm stupid for doing that.

In the beginning I was a bit sceptic, as you read so many bad things about them, but it came today, and I must say. the Ovation is defo worth the money! I read about it, saying it sounds thin when played unplugged. I think it sounds decent for a 300 pound guitar? I don't know if it's just me, or has any one "experienced" something like that before?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

With Ovations, it seems to be a love 'em, or hate 'em ordeal. There is no middle of the road from what I've seen.

Personally, I don't like them. I'd never played one before, then my nephew asked me to work on his. After fixing the problem, I decided to play it and immediately realized I didn't care of the composite material used on the back. The bowl shape made it slippery in my lap and I didn't care for it.

So, not sure why you're so concerned that people don't like them. I'm sure I have some guitars and gear people don't like, but I don't care. I like them and that's all that matters.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
RedMist

The round back always feels weird to me. A friend of mine has one and it sounds good.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Artemis Entreri
Panned

It depends on how you use them. I have a friend who is a gigging singer/songwriter and he takes an ovation everywhere. With a little EQ on the board it supports his voice quite well and actually sounds pretty decent. I don't care for it unplugged but it sounds way better than the people who have equivalently priced Taks, Ibanez' and the like.

I prefer my tone...but I use an anthem run through ableton live.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

I know I love mine- 20 years of service without any issues.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
azrael4h

I hate the sound of nearly every acoustic run through an amp, so that's not an Ovation-only thing with me. But I also dislike the unplugged sound of the Ovations, and the composite back, as said, feels slippery in my lap.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

9 Ovations, 2 Adamas'... you might say i like them. plugged in they can't be beat. my mid depth and deep bowl ones sound good unplugged, not so happy about the one shallow that i have. i have some really expensive guitars that i play also but not as much as my O's and A's. they just fit the style of music i like to play better than my traditional flat-backers. when i play classic Eagles/Zep songs, i'll go for the Taylor. for A7X/5FDP/shinedown, roundies get my attention.
i've never had an issue with the O's slipping off my lap even the shallow one. i don't understand that. even if it is an issue, it's nothing that a strap wouldn't fix i venture to guess.
they're sound is unique but still a full acoustic sound, i think that the traditional type players never liked the (in my opinion) evolution of the guitar. im sure it was the same back in the 1700's when the spanish style guitars started to become popular. also in the late 1800's when more dreadnought style ones started appearing.
i've never heard a more crisp, clean sound from a guitar as with my Adamas, even unplugged.
different styles of music work better with different guitars, that's all.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
I hate the sound of nearly every acoustic run through an amp, so that's not an Ovation-only thing with me. But I also dislike the unplugged sound of the Ovations, and the composite back, as said, feels slippery in my lap.

When you gig 3-5 nights a week you get less picky about the sound of amplified acoustics. I'm pretty stingy so I use an LR Baggs anthem but I used to always take a mic which sounded better but had feedback issues and required careful placement. Plugging in is infinitely easier and allows me to just play without having to worry. Ovation is a good,
Cheap way to have a performing guitar. Their pickups sound better than comparable guitars. I agree with you about the unugged tone though.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
When you gig 3-5 nights a week you get less picky about the sound of amplified acoustics. I'm pretty stingy so I use an LR Baggs anthem but I used to always take a mic which sounded better but had feedback issues and required careful placement. Plugging in is infinitely easier and allows me to just play without having to worry. Ovation is a good,
Cheap way to have a performing guitar. Their pickups sound better than comparable guitars. I agree with you about the unugged tone though.

I guess so, and I'll admit that it could have been the people plugging them in; I've never bothered myself to try one plugged at the store. So there could have been some amp settings that made them sound like crap as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
i've never had an issue with the O's slipping off my lap even the shallow one. i don't understand that. even if it is an issue, it's nothing that a strap wouldn't fix i venture to guess.

Yup.

(Actually, I always use the strap on my guitars, so it's never an issue.)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
I guess so, and I'll admit that it could have been the people plugging them in; I've never bothered myself to try one plugged at the store. So there could have been some amp settings that made them sound like crap as well.

If you play any acoustic guitar through an electric amp you're gonna have a bad time.
I have to try pretty hard to make my anthem sound okay through my deluxe. Magnetic pups are the semi exception to this. Play one through a PA with a good engineer or a nice DI and I think you'll be surprised. Like I said though, I'll never play one acoustically, I'm with you on that.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
If you play any acoustic guitar through an electric amp you're gonna have a bad time.
I have to try pretty hard to make my anthem sound okay through my deluxe. Magnetic pups are the semi exception to this. Play one through a PA with a good engineer or a nice DI and I think you'll be surprised. Like I said though, I'll never play one acoustically, I'm with you on that.

The problem is I have no idea what amps anyone is using with their EAs. I've looked past some "acoustic" amps at GC, but generally I just play, so I've never checked one out. I've never plugged either my Martin nor my mandolin in, though my bro borrowed the mandolin to check an old stereo out to see if it worked still. And I only started playing the mandolin a week or so ago. It won't sound good no matter what I do. :P

I actually played a deeper-bowl Ovation today and it wasn't 'bad' per say, but far sharper and less warm than what I'd want out of an acoustic. I did like the neck though, it was possibly the nicest neck on a sub $500 I've ever picked up, and much better than the last Ovation I tried.

As far as the slippery back, I've only tried them at the store. All my guitars have their own straps. But I also can sit down with them and never worry about keeping them in place once I get settled.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
persianguitar

Either classical guitar or Electric guitar For some reasons I don't like acoustic
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianguitar
Either classical guitar or Electric guitar For some reasons I don't like acoustic

A classical guitar is acoustic.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
stepchildusmc

not sure myself artie what that post is doin' in this thread.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #16
Emster 23

Friend had an upper middle Ovation 12 string that was a dream to play: thin neck, easy to fret and definition superb. Back takes some getting used to, agreed. It comes down to a matter of taste, imho. The cheaper ones are like cheaper traditional guitars: leave lots to be desired. But the good stuff is, well, good.
I have an Ovation, but it is the VXT, the chambered les paul shaped chambered electric with Fishman pickup and 2 SD 59's, made in USA. Brilliant guitar. My favorite. Too bad they stopped making them. Think prejudice against Ovation led many never to try one. Too bad for them. Like mine better than any LP I have played.... and it is light.
Emster 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #17
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerlocks
In the beginning I was a bit sceptic, as you read so many bad things about them, but it came today, and I must say. the Ovation is defo worth the money! I read about it, saying it sounds thin when played unplugged. I think it sounds decent for a 300 pound guitar? I don't know if it's just me, or has any one "experienced" something like that before?
Well first, I don't understand where the "which Ovation of these two should I buy"thread, we worked on all night went. It just disappeared. I'd like to know who to thank for that.

In response to your question. Unless you now believe that it is your manifest destiny to convert as many people as you can, in pursuit of justifying your personal preference or purchasing decisions, I say let it go

As long as you're happy, then no one else matters. If you perform someplace and everyone walks out because of the sound of your Ovation, then it's time for a change.

In the meantime, lovers gonna love, haters gonna hate. I've had two, they both sucked. But neither one was an AE model. One, an 1157 "Anniversary", was flat out dull. The other a "Matrix" 12 string cracked at every sound brace. I kept acoustic 12 string lights on it (.010 to .047), but it was tuned to full pitch. (Since I can't positively rule out humidity issues with the 12, maybe I should temper justice with mercy on its behalf).

Ovation's treatment of left handed players is at, or close to, the worst in the industry.

I've always loved their electric models, "The Breadwinner", and "The Deacon", but I've been lead to believe that only left handed Deacon to ever come out of the factory, and is currently owned by Jon Way. The guy that demos his lefty guitars on YouTube.

Credit where credit id due. Yes, Ovations have fast necks. No, they're not as fast as everyone seems to be making them out to be.. But, part of the "ease of playing" in an Ovation, is also due to the fact the the Glass bowl doesn't recycle acoustic energy back into the soundboard the way the wooden guitars do. Which means it shouldn't require you to hold on as tightly to have the sound sustain.

So, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. As far as me, and quite a few others here, I doubt if you'll effect any change of mind.

Besides, everybody, at one time or another, feels compelled to recommend the guitar he (or she) just purchased to anyone, and everyone, who'll listen for quite some time. Then the novelty wears off I suppose.

At the end of the day there's always going to be a percentage of, "which guitar should I buy threads". where someone is going to talk up their choice, and/or talk down yours. Realistically though, if someone starts a thread about buying a Luna guitar, they have it coming....

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-13-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
Drew_Ferraro

Personally, I have loved OVATIONS guitars from the moment one was placed in my lap. It was comfortable and sounded marvelous. The new-age materials, workmanship, and technology employed only made it that much better. And their customer service and repair work has been nothing short of amazing and outstanding.
I have and have always had fairly broad shoulders and a "smaller middle" than some guitar players. When all is said, done and played, THAT is the only REAL reason some folks [tell you that they] DON'T like OVATIONS.
The fact that it looks so good, but rolls off their laps (so, you can't angle it a tiny bit to the right or the left? HUH?! -sounds pretty lazy and amateur to me), necessitates those folks to come up with a line of other reasons (all BS, IMHO) to discount OVATIONS. Things like, "it sounds too thin", "it isn't made of wood", or "it's just plastic".
Unless it is a thin-body guitar, it does not sound thin (whose ears are they using? If it is theirs, they need to see the audiologist!). They are all made of wood and a composite material, closely related to fiberglass called, "lyrachord"; not plastic. Would they ever dare to tell a Corvette owner that their prized "vette" was made of PLASTIC??? I think not.
The fact is it has been used by more professionals, live AND RECORDED than these folks will care to admit or believe. The Ovation folks PIONEERED Acoustic-Electric pickups, to be frank!

The folks I refer to should just start eating & living right, exercise a little, slim-down some and quit with all the crap. Everyone deserves a choice - of course, it they want to delude themselves to avoid the real reasons they want to choose another guitar, that is fine. Just don't diss my choices.
Drew_Ferraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #19
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_Ferraro
Personally, I have loved OVATIONS guitars from the moment one was placed in my lap. It was comfortable and sounded marvelous. The new-age materials, workmanship, and technology employed only made it that much better. And their customer service and repair work has been nothing short of amazing and outstanding.
Well Drew, if they were that good, you wouldn't need their support department, now would you?
Quote:
I have and have always had fairly broad shoulders and a "smaller middle" than some guitar players. When all is said, done and played, THAT is the only REAL reason some folks [tell you that they] DON'T like OVATIONS.
Are you trying to seduce me, you scallywag? You with your broad shoulders and slim waist.
Quote:
The fact that it looks so good, but rolls off their laps (so, you can't angle it a tiny bit to the right or the left? HUH?! -sounds pretty lazy and amateur to me), necessitates those folks to come up with a line of other reasons (all BS, IMHO) to discount OVATIONS. Things like, "it sounds too thin", "it isn't made of wood", or "it's just plastic".
Well no Drew, it just that when you turn Ovations upside down, they all look the same...
Quote:
Unless it is a thin-body guitar, it does not sound thin (whose ears are they using? If it is theirs, they need to see the audiologist!). They are all made of wood and a composite material, closely related to fiberglass called, "lyrachord"; not plastic.
Well then, how about "catalytic synthetic compound reinforced with glass cloth", would that smooth out your ruffled feathers?

Quote:
Would they ever dare to tell a Corvette owner that their prized "vette" was made of PLASTIC??? I think not.
Naw, people around 'vettes who actually own them, lovingly call them "plastic" all the time.
Quote:
The fact is it has been used by more professionals, live AND RECORDED than these folks will care to admit or believe.
The regulars here are all acutely aware of that Drew. No need to expound on the patently obvious, just for the sake of hearing yourself type.

Quote:
The Ovation folks PIONEERED Acoustic-Electric pickups, to be frank!
Yes they did, and no one is disputing that. In fact, they're very good acoustic pickup systems.

Quote:
The folks I refer to should just start eating & living right, exercise a little, slim-down some and quit with all the crap. Everyone deserves a choice - of course, it they want to delude themselves to avoid the real reasons they want to choose another guitar, that is fine. Just don't diss my choices.
No Drew, the reason we play mostly all wood guitars is, if we joined a gym, we'd have to contend with a******s like you.

For example, I made the last post to this thread Feb 13, 2013, which was the day before Valentine's Day. That makes you about a year and a half late for professing your love for, if not fetish about, Ovation guitars. Nobody cares, we've moved on...

And Drew, welcome to UG! Please keep the capital letters to a minimun. These are considered "SHOUTING", in internet forums. And next time, try and find a living thread to bestow the largesse of your wisdom upon, instead of this "necrobump" OK there handsome?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 07-29-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #20
stepchildusmc

somebody's gettin' a timeout

Rate This Thread: