Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Arctine

Am I crazy?

So, let me start by saying I've been playing guitar for about....6 years I guess. In that time I've owned two guitars and they're both Epiphone Les Paul standards. I love them to bits but my only gripe is that if you want a comfortable action then you have to put up with an abundance of fret buzz. I'm not sure if that's because they need setting up professionally or not but I do intend to take one to get looked at by a technician though.

Anyway, the point of this thread? I recently got given a Squire Bullet Strat. I took it less than enthusiastically and under the impression it would be terrible to play and sound shit.

To my amazement, it's the best playing guitar I've ever used. It's so easy to play, the frets seem larger which makes bending and vibrato feel sublime, there is almost no fret buzz at all. It also sounds pretty nice! Obviously the electronics and what not a sub par but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and I'm guessing it could be improved with new pups, etc.

Now, I'm under the impression that the bullet is the most basic and cheapest Squire strat so why is it such a nice guitar and why do they get such a bad rep? Am I just lucky that this one is a nice example?

I might have to try an actual Fender strat for a decent comparison.

Edit: if anyone's interested, I could put a picture up I guess.

Last edited by Arctine : 02-08-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Arctine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctine
So, let me start by saying I've been playing guitar for about....6 years I guess. In that time I've owned two guitars and they're both Epiphone Les Paul standards. I love them to bits but my only gripe is that if you want a comfortable action then you have to put up with an abundance of fret buzz. I'm not sure if that's because they need setting up professionally or not but I do intend to take one to get looked at by a technician though.

Anyway, the point of this thread? I recently got given a Squire Bullet Strat. I took it less than enthusiastically and under the impression it would be terrible to play and sound shit.

To my amazement, it's the best playing guitar I've ever used. It's so easy to play, the frets seem larger which makes bending and vibrato feel sublime, there is almost no fret buzz at all. It also sounds pretty nice! Obviously the electronics and what not a sub par but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and I'm guessing it could be improved with new pups, etc.

Now, I'm under the impression that the bullet is the most basic and cheapest Squire strat so why is it such a nice guitar and why do they get such a bad rep? Am I just lucky that this one is a nice example?

I might have to try an actual Fender strat for a decent comparison.

Edit: if anyone's interested, I could put a picture up I guess.

you must have gotten a jem.

or the LP's really realy really need a setup.

IIRC bullets aren't even solid wood, but something like MDF.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

will be picking up soon, Diamond Compressor, Musket Fuzz, Sparkle Drive and Strymon Mobius.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Arctine

I think the Pauls do need setting up but they're not bad at all. My post makes it sound like they're awful but they're not. You just get a bit of buzz when playing in the middle of the neck which has no effect when playing through an amp.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Have you ever played a MiM or Mia?

In any case, sometimes guitars just fit our hands and feel great. I've never felt it on a Squier but u have on an Epiphone.

Get the Epis setup if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
Arctine

This is only the second strat I've ever played and the first one was some shit tangelwood(?) copy my friend had many years ago and that was abysmal.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

maybe you find strats as more up your alley. after 6 years and two epi LPs you find out you like a strat.

i would compare it to a MIM or MIJ or MIA. for the hell of it. i think once you play a MIA you will be spoiled, and want a MIA.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

will be picking up soon, Diamond Compressor, Musket Fuzz, Sparkle Drive and Strymon Mobius.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
Arctine

Haha, I already want an MIA in candy red. I don't have to play one to realise that.

But yeah, I might find somewhere I can try an MIM at least.

I really don't understand his Squire though. It even sustains very well. Did they ever make them out of a decent wood?

Last edited by Arctine : 02-08-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Not the bullets, are the pickups stock? You should play the MIA as you might hate it! MIMs can be great too, lots are.

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
Alucard817

I think at one time the bullets might have been made out of basswood, or some other inexpensive solid wood.

I would definitely check out a MIM or MIA. You might just look at the bullet a bit differently after that.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Not the bullets, are the pickups stock? You should play the MIA as you might hate it! MIMs can be great too, lots are.

i actually just set down my strat i never play it, but i enjoy it when i do. i went through at least a dozen MIM's until the one i have now. $175 used MIM 1995 olympic white, and maple. it just fits me right. i did make money on the other 11 though.

it will stand next to most MIA standards, except the electronics, they are likely better and fit/finish and probably a few less pieces of wood in there.

but i like mine. but i will go MIA at the right time.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
Arctine

The pickups will probably be stock as it has been bought and never used.

It must be at least 10 years old too if that makes any difference.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i actually just set down my strat i never play it, but i enjoy it when i do. i went through at least a dozen MIM's until the one i have now. $175 used MIM 1995 olympic white, and maple. it just fits me right. i did make money on the other 11 though.

it will stand next to most MIA standards, except the electronics, they are likely better and fit/finish and probably a few less pieces of wood in there.

but i like mine. but i will go MIA at the right time.

My MIA is Olympic White. It plays nice and it's got Lace Golds in it so it sounds great.

I think it's got some buzz around the 12th fret which is annoying but its so minor I can't really put my finger on it. Apart from that it's great. I do believe you can get some amazing MIMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctine
The pickups will probably be stock as it has been bought and never used.

It must be at least 10 years old too if that makes any difference.

What amp are you playing through? If it's a Mesa Mark V that could be why it sounds so nice.

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
Arctine

Strangely, a 6505 on the rhythm crunch channel with gain rolled back to about 4.

I'll try it through a classic 30 and an orange th30 later.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
JELIFISH19

You're not crazy. Sometimes, a different style of guitar just suits you better no matter what the price. I played an Epi SG for years. Then I played a friend's cheap 25.5" guitar and it blew my mind. I realized that maybe the Gibson style of guitars weren't for me and I never looked back. I still dislike guitars based on Gibson designs. I recommend trying out many other guitars. You might find some that suit you better. But then again, you might just need to get your guitars set up.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
BradIon1995

I bought a Bullet a couple of weeks ago. Compared to my good mate Stan's MIA, it's definitely inferior, but in saying that it is a very, very nice guitar! I'd happily pay twice the price (I paid NZD$200) for it.

The body used to be made out of an unknown plywood, but as of 2008 they're a solid basswood body. The older ones are heavier which is interesting.

Happy NGD my friend
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Almost any guitar can feel great to play with a good setup.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

While I have never been confused with the quality of a Squier vs a MIA, I saw a video the other day where the Andertons people were doing a blindfold test with a Squier CV Tele, MiM Tele, MIA Tele and a Custom Shop Tele.

The two guys both got the Custom Shop and Squier CV mixed up . I think they judged it on weight and they weren't allowed to touch the hardware, just the neck. A flawed test but funny.

Quote:

Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Axe Murderer

Seems youre a Strat man. The contours and comfort cuts. Scale length. Some guitars just suit an individual. I would love to be into LPs, but they just dont do it for me.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
desperatechris
Banned

Yes, call me maybe.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
While I have never been confused with the quality of a Squier vs a MIA, I saw a video the other day where the Andertons people were doing a blindfold test with a Squier CV Tele, MiM Tele, MIA Tele and a Custom Shop Tele.

The two guys both got the Custom Shop and Squier CV mixed up . I think they judged it on weight and they weren't allowed to touch the hardware, just the neck. A flawed test but funny.

I watched the same video last night! Honestly, and we've covered this a lot here, there are occasionally very inexpensive guitars that end up playing wonderfully. I've got a MIM Tele Deluxe that plays as well as some of the MIA Tele's I've played. Granted, it had undergone a great setup and had a fret job done, but even at that cost, it still saved hundreds of dollars in the long run.

There are some gems out there, perhaps few and far between.
Still, can't say I've encountered a Bullet that played well. Guess I need to look harder!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: