Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
MattyPS

How do you feel when you miss lessons ?

Alright so I'm at university (well it's actually an institute of technology but what I do is equivalent to a bachelor's degree) and this morning I woke up one hour later than expected.
The lesson has already started when I was just waking up.
I'm not the guy who would come really late and interrupt the teacher because that's disrespectful. I just prefer not to go instead.
Since September it is the second time that I am missing a lesson. That's not a lot. However, I feel really bad when it happens...
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!

I don't really feel your feels bro...

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
slash_GNR666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Meeh. Whatever they say can be found elsewhere or if you have a look at your mate's notes taken.

Depends entirely on the teacher I have. Some of them I really don't want to miss a single lesson if possible. Others I gladly miss it as they never said/say anything of substance whatsoever.

I feel a bit stupid initially but meeh. It's no big deal. Usually our lessons are uploaded to our university's site anyway for the students to look at from home.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
Avedas
yoloswag420

Last semester I was skipping 17 hours of classes every week. Don't do that.
Avedas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
ChucklesMginty
\_(ツ)_/

If you paid for tuition and miss lessons you are a ****ing idiot. Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have an education?

Okay, missing the odd one because you're ill or whatever sure. But missing shit every week, and winging it. **** you, seriously.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
If you paid for tuition and miss lessons you are a ****ing idiot. Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have an education?

Okay, missing the odd one because you're ill or whatever sure. But missing shit every week, and winging it. **** you, seriously.

Just because you've paid for it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good lesson nor worth attending. Sometimes it might be a lot better to stay at home and read the assigned book/chapter/whatever than sitting there for 2 hours listening to junk.

I don't want though because I live in a good country.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
niqolaise

The goal of your education is acquiring competences skills, not going to lessons. The means to it doesn't matter.
I don't feel bad for missing a lesson. It just takes longer then to absorb it by myself in my case. So I think something like 'stupid me'.

Last edited by niqolaise : 02-08-2013 at 05:09 AM.
niqolaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I didn't give a shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

I felt bad at the first lesson I missed but it became addictive. By my second year at university my attendance rate dropped to 0%. I had a whole year knowing I wasn't going to get through it.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

I've taken 10 classes in college so far, and I've had four that I didn't mind missing. I took an "Intro to Music" class, where we had a pathetic excuse of a teacher that didn't manage to teach us anything. The second was my "Bible as Literature" class where I was fine skipping a couple classes because most of the time we were just watching a movie I could find on Youtube, and we had a class schedule so I knew when these days would be. No harm done there either. And my two English classes were skippable as long as we weren't getting a new assignment or turning one in.

That said, I typically enjoy being in class anyway. And for the record, I think showing up late is better than not showing up, especially since most teachers expect you to e-mail them in advance if you won't be there.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
willT08
Banned

Always feel very guilty. I missed quite a lot my first semester but now I've sorted myself out.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
AdamDK
Meh.

It annoys me a little. The second semester of my first year at university I was sleeping in a lot and missing a fair amount of lectures and seminars. I've only missed one class of my second year though, slept in 30 mins after it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGenzale
Just because you've paid for it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good lesson nor worth attending. Sometimes it might be a lot better to stay at home and read the assigned book/chapter/whatever than sitting there for 2 hours listening to junk.

This also. I know there's a guy in my class who does this. It isn't worth the effort for him to travel here sometimes just for a couple of hours of lectures, so he'll just stay at home and do the relevant reading. Of course it'd help if you did the reading and attended the lectures, but you can still be successful just from reading at home. Another guy in our class got a high 2:1 on an essay and I don't think he had been to any classes in that module other than the first one.
AdamDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
WCPhils
UG Addict

But seriously, I go to probably 90% of my classes. I might skip or miss one or two a week at the most.

EDIT:
lol, I did this twice this week

OMG, this one

Last edited by WCPhils : 02-08-2013 at 09:12 AM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
ErikLensherr
Star-Splitter

If it's a class where the prof. takes attendance and penalizes your grade after a certain number of absences, I feel bad because that's one less free day I could've used during the run up to exams.

If it's a class with no attendance taken who cares.

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I am fairly cliterate with my hands and mouth.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
AdamDK
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
EDIT:
lol, I did this twice this week

Wouldn't waste the money. Just take them out from the library and keep renewing them. Its all I've done this year, saved me the 200 I'd have spent buying them all.
AdamDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
WCPhils
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDK
Wouldn't waste the money. Just take them out from the library and keep renewing them. Its all I've done this year, saved me the 200 I'd have spent buying them all.

Well yea, I haven't bought a book in a while. I either go to the library or torrent them
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
gabcd86
isn't French.

Eh, never used to miss class until second year. This year I've missed quite a few. Sometimes it's because the only important lectures of the day have been cancelled, so I'd be walking half and hour there and back for an hour of Spanish grammar or something equally trivial. Other times I simply sleep through my alarm or am too hungover to get out of bed. I don't really even feel guilty anymore. Feel a bit shit though, as university is all I really do, so if I miss a class, that's a whole day with no achievement.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
boreamor
^(^_^)^

How I feel in lectures.

But no I do feel really bad about missing lectures.
boreamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
chev311e
Will do moose stuff for $

God I really don't wanna go to class right now. Usually I'd just turn off the alarm and sleep with no worries. But I usually don't like missing a really hard class more than twice a week. And this is one of those classes. Most of the time I don't care as long as they don't take attendance.

chev311e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
Blayney
est'd 1989

Didn't feel guilty once. I got my degree out of it which got me a job and a house. I came out understanding less than I went in - purely from the majority of lectures I did attend not the few I didn't.

Encore Strat, Ibanez GRX70 Jewel Blue, Ibanez RGT42DRFM (Dimarzio Breed bridge/Air Norton neck)
Hudson HD1, Lorenzo 'Bluebird' 12 String, Lg Tramontane T66ACE
Vox AD50VT, Vox AC30 (1963)
Dunlop Crybaby, Boss DS1

Cymru am Byth
Blayney is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: