Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
SuperKid

Had to skip classes to study for other classes... I never went to my Physics II electricity and magnetism class because the teacher was horrible, only to the exams. I passed with ~65-75
The workload was too intense that semester and i would have never made it if I went to Physics
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKid
Had to skip classes to study for other classes... I never went to my Physics II electricity and magnetism class because the teacher was horrible, only to the exams. I passed with ~65-75
The workload was too intense that semester and i would have never made it if I went to Physics

Yes, this. I skipped my Intro to Music class I complained about early, and called off work a couple times, to have more studying time for classes that required more effort (psychology, ancient history). Or other times, I just studied for those classes while in the useless music class... or if I didn't need any study time, I would usually go, but just end up putting in some ear buds and writing some music in guitar pro.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
raoooos
adonis

Used to miss lectures all the time in first & second year. Now in third year, most of my classes are seminars where attendance is monitored and class participation is required. So I kinda have to go, though I've already missed one because I didn't have time to do the readings and I felt a bit guilty
raoooos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #24
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

I always feel a little shit about it, especially if I've missed a seminar or workshop.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Does anybody else think mandatory attendance is bullshit? I paid hundreds of dollars per class. If you set up a stupidly easily class where I would otherwise have no reason to show up outside of test day because you're just going to read to me out of a book or out of the slideshow you posted online, why would you punish me for not coming? If I'm capable of getting an A on all of your assignments without wasting my time at your lectures, I should be able to do that.

Covers:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
Does anybody else think mandatory attendance is bullshit? I paid hundreds of dollars per class. If you set up a stupidly easily class where I would otherwise have no reason to show up outside of test day because you're just going to read to me out of a book or out of the slideshow you posted online, why would you punish me for not coming? If I'm capable of getting an A on all of your assignments without wasting my time at your lectures, I should be able to do that.

Yea, I never understood it really

I pay to go there. I should be able to go to class whenever I want. If the class is hard or fun then I'll go. If you are just going to point at a powerpoint the entire time and then post that powerpoint online later I feel it's a waste of time

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:

You're taking up a space that someone else could have had.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker

I had to take the bus at 7:15 this morning and it felt like a truck hit me when I was lying in bed. I was SO close to skipping, but then I realised I really wanted to go to as many classes as I can this semester because last time I missed quite a bit of information.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart

I can't figure out of you're agreeing with me and meaning that by going to a class I don't want to be at I'm literally taking up space, or if you're disagreeing with me and implying I'm wasting the class by not going and another student that would have went could have been placed in the class had I not wasted the spot...

Covers:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #30
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
I can't figure out of you're agreeing with me and meaning that by going to a class I don't want to be at I'm literally taking up space, or if you're disagreeing with me and implying I'm wasting the class by not going and another student that would have went could have been placed in the class had I not wasted the spot...

The latter.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #31
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
The latter.

I've gotten A's in every class I've ever skipped a lecture in (intentionally skipped I mean. Sometimes, shit happens). Meaning I've learned everything the professors taught. Meaning I've made full use of the class. I haven't wasted anybody's time, money, or effort by skipping those lectures.

Covers:

Last edited by Macabre_Turtle : 02-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
I've gotten A's in every class I've ever skipped a lecture in. Meaning I've learned everything the professors taught. Meaning I've made full use of the class. I haven't wasted anybody's time, money, or effort by skipping those lectures.

This. I usually only miss class if it's easy, so I tend to get A's in those classes

Plus, my classes are rarely even full

If they are others should have signed up earlier

Check out my...

YouTube
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #33
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

For the record, in any class where the professor actually wants to teach us and it isn't just an expensive adult baby sitting session, I won't skip class for anything short of vomiting on my way out the door, and skipping does make me feel bad of when the professor/class is worth damn.

Covers:
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
For the record, in any class where the professor actually wants to teach us and it isn't just an expensive adult baby sitting session, I won't skip class for anything short of vomiting on my way out the door, and skipping does make me feel bad of when the professor/class is worth damn.

Oh definitely

It's the ones who just sit and click through a powerpoint I can't stand. It the professor is actually into the discussion and seems like he or she wants to be there I will enjoy the class and try to be at every one

Check out my...

YouTube
Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
If you paid for tuition and miss lessons you are a ****ing idiot. Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have an education?

Okay, missing the odd one because you're ill or whatever sure. But missing shit every week, and winging it. **** you, seriously.

If the prof doesn't require you come to class every time it is held, then (provided you read the book & such) you're really not missing anything. So, back the fuck off, Chuckles.

Quote:

Exactly! I never miss those classes.

But there's classes I'm taking now where you actually learn more doing the labs and watching the videos than going. Particularly, on Wednesday, my Operating Systems Programming class, he doesn't even go over stuff. Or at least, he does so in such an informal manner that I don't learn a damn thing. It's more like Q&A time, which is NOT worth my time. I'm better off watching the videos he posts and actually learning something that day. The other two sessions of that class per week are just fine, and I go to all of those.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 02-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
If you paid for tuition and miss lessons you are a ****ing idiot. Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have an education?

Okay, missing the odd one because you're ill or whatever sure. But missing shit every week, and winging it. **** you, seriously.

I'd say you're way more of an idiot if you attend every class solely because you've paid for it if you can learn the lesson's core better on your own. As long as you're able to keep up with the class and the classes are optional you'd do best in customizing it to your own way of learning. Some classes might just not be worth attending because they'd confuse you more than it explain.

Also travels...
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

I hate missing classing. I normally always go so that I have to study less. This week I couldn't go one day and I missed 160 pp slides full of text and equations. So now I have to spend extra time catching up.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #38
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

I feel so incredibly guilty when I skip class. Mostly because I feel bad for the prof.
I didn't go to any of my statistics lectures or tutorials last semester except for half of the first one because they were located in the most inaccessible inconvenient building on top of a hill, furthest away from bus stops and completely unsheltered from rain or sun. (got an A anyway but the midterm and final were both open book)

Now I think the uni admin people are punishing me for not going to class last sem because now, all but one of my classes are in this stupid building and none of them are webcasted (all of them were last sem) which means I can't not go. I didn't go to any classes this week until today though cuz I was really sick.

RIP ;c
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #39
chev311e
Will do moose stuff for $

Quote:

Whose space is he taking up? I honestly get more annoyed by people who go to lecture every day and then sit there looking at their phone all class without taking any notes. That is the idiot who is taking up space. There's no harm in teaching yourself especially if you pay for the books.

chev311e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #40
Geldin

Quote:

I feel the same way. I already know the bullshit statistics that they require psychology majors to take, so why do I need to be in every lecture? I got straight A's in this class and the one before it, but apparently there's some new material that I'll fail utterly without (spoilers: there isn't and I won't).

Oh well.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: