Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
woad_yurt

Peavey Windsor Head: A Question....

I like tube breakup and don't use pedals. I have a chance to snag a Windsor head for a really good price. How loud would I need to be before I got some natural-sounding dirtiness?

Thanks!
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Viban
UG's resident bum

The 100 watt head? loud enough where you'll likely piss off the inhabitants of your house and probably some neighbors.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man

To get power tube saturation you'll need to be at at least 5 or 6 which is extremely loud, however its a great amp and can be modded really easily so buy it anyways. I love mine!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
woad_yurt

So, that 5-6 is going to be louder than drummer-band volumes, right?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95thFallout
To get power tube saturation you'll need to be at at least 5 or 6 which is extremely loud, however its a great amp and can be modded really easily so buy it anyways. I love mine!

I really dig the look of the Windsor and I was considering buy one since they're really cheap here, but the reviews I read aren't exactly inviting, I keep reading that it's really trebley and very bass-lacking; is it true ?

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
So, that 5-6 is going to be louder than drummer-band volumes, right?

Well That depends on speaker sensitivity, as well as the amp wattage. Different speakers will have different levels of sensitivity which will affect volume, as well as how much wattage you put through them. however power tube saturation really doesn't come until loud levels, wattage doesn't dictate volume entirely, if I recall you need about 10x the wattage to get 2x the volume. Either way I can get my 60 Watt combo well above a drummer without breaking a sweat.
I hear great things about the peavey windsors and I almost bought one for myself. I wouldn't really let wattage dictate my purchases too much, that's what master volumes are for, I generally go for higher wattage amps but I wouldn't really say it's a necessity.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
woad_yurt

Well, I have some ceramic JBLs (very loud) and, once I sell two off to get some cash, I'm going to try the adjustable Mavericks. Regarding any excess treblyness, I guess I can turn down the treble some.

I listened to some Youtube demos and it did sound cool (kinda dirty and Marshally) but one can't really tell for sure when it comes to online video sound quality.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco18
I really dig the look of the Windsor and I was considering buy one since they're really cheap here, but the reviews I read aren't exactly inviting, I keep reading that it's really trebley and very bass-lacking; is it true ?

I know the Windsor studio is lacking bass, but I don't know about the head
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I know the Windsor studio is lacking bass, but I don't know about the head

Well if I recall correctly, the peavey windsor uses EL34's. I heard the similar things about my JCM 900 so when I re-tubed I got a set of E34L's which offer more low end, or at least that's what it says on the tubedepot website. Can't argue, I most definitely am hearing a tight low end.

http://tubedepot.com/jj-e34l.html

Last edited by Viban : 02-07-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Stickymongoose

I think the idea that the Windsor has no bass has more to do with the Peavey cabs than the head. I used one for a couple of years with an open back 2x12 with Celestion G12T100s, and it had more than enough bass for a guitar amp. It's basically a cheap JCM800 with maybe a slightly hotter preamp section. It also doesn't have much headroom at all, even with the preamp gain backed off, it will break up fairly early for a 100w head. It may not be the most versatile, but if what it does works for you, it's a hell of an amp for the price. I think it's easily among the best amps in it's price range if you're looking for a British voiced amp for any kind of rock/blues/classic rock tones.
Stickymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
woad_yurt

I'm not worried about versatility because I have none at all. I only do basic rock and roll, kinda like Link Wray meets Steve Jones, sorta. I just thought it would be cool to have an EL34 head in addition to my Twin, you know, covering both ends of the spectrum.

Peavey did tell me that one can't yank a pair of tubes like I did with the Twin; the Windsor's power tubes are in series. Thus, I do have some concern about the level of volume necessary to get that nice sound.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
I'm not worried about versatility because I have none at all. I only do basic rock and roll, kinda like Link Wray meets Steve Jones, sorta. I just thought it would be cool to have an EL34 head in addition to my Twin, you know, covering both ends of the spectrum.

Peavey did tell me that one can't yank a pair of tubes like I did with the Twin; the Windsor's power tubes are in series. Thus, I do have some concern about the level of volume necessary to get that nice sound.

Why yank tubes? The volume difference really won't be all that great between 50 and 100 watts. Personally I'd still get a set of JJ E34L in an amp that is known to be a little lacking in the bass subsection, just to offset it a tad.

Last edited by Viban : 02-08-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
woad_yurt

The tube yanking helped a bit with the Twin so it was my first question with the Peavey.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Dan_5893
Interdit

Power tube breakup or preamp tube breakup? If the former, loud. If the latter, bedroom levels.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_5893
Power tube breakup or preamp tube breakup? If the former, loud. If the latter, bedroom levels.

+1

I had one of these for a while and my complaint was that it wouldn't stay clean even at bedroom levels.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: