Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
saxman42

Seymour Duncan Equivalent of Dimarzio Liquifire

Hey everyone,

I ordered a Seymour Duncan TB-6 Distortion and a Dimarzio Liquifire on December 18th to put in my Gibson SG. The Duncan showed up in a reasonable amount of time, but after waiting five weeks for the Dimarzio, they sent the wrong one, and after waiting two more weeks, they still haven't sent the replacement. Needless to say, I'm canceling the order and never buying from Dimarzio again.

Anywho! The point is, I'm looking for a Seymour Duncan pickup that sounds a lot like the Liquifire. If there isn't one, which Seymour Duncan pickup would you recommend for the neck position? I mostly play metal, so I play a bit of distorted lead stuff through the neck, but I mostly use the neck for cleans and blues. I want something with a big full sound, but with as much presence and clarity as possible. I play through a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Thanks!
saxman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Duncan 59

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

It depends what the guitar is, really. Pickups don't define your tone, and any given pickup can produce a radically different sound in different guitars.

The old neck version of the SD JB is, in terms of specification, the closest thing SD make to a DM LiquiFire. However, they stopped making that a while ago. Buying the neck version of the Distortion and replacing the ceramic magnet with an A5 magnet will be the closest you can get in terms of spec, though the SD wind is slightly more 'open' than the DM wind is; using an A4 magnet instead will rebalance this.

Putting the LiquiFire aside for a moment, to me the clearest neck pickup for metal lead, which also has a smooth enough tone for more traditional, cleaner blues tones, is the SD Jazz. For examples of the Jazz being used in the neck position (in neck-through and set neck alder/maple/ebony super-Strats with recessed double-locking vibrato bridges) with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, check out Nightwish; Slow Love Slow has a clean, blues-jazz solo, while virtually all their songs feature regular metal, high-gain solos with the neck pickup, too.
The SD Pearly Gates and '59 can also be good choices, depending on what your guitar is and how you like to EQ your amp.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Why not just cancel your order and reorder from a reputable Dimarzio dealer?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

interesting. I had issues getting the correct liquifire as well...

that being said, I think that it was definitely worth it. If you're really pissed about it, the SD jazz is pretty good at making approximately the same sort of sound. it's definitely different, but it's in roughly the same sonic vein.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
saxman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Why not just cancel your order and reorder from a reputable Dimarzio dealer?

It's not the dealer's mistake; it's Dimarzio's. They didn't ship the pickup for four weeks even though I called them to make sure it was in stock. When the wrong one arrived, they said they would expedite ship the correct one out right away. That was two weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped. I'm sure I would love the Liquifire, but I'm just sick of waiting and don't want to deal with the hassle.

I looked into the SD Jazz. From what I could hear, it sounds similar to the liquifire, but with a little less mids and a crisper sound. Is that a good assumption to make?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i waited for a month for a tweaker. then two months. the kept pushing them back and back. i think seven months i waited. it was worth it. i got the price dropped like three times because of the time issue.

wait for the pickup, it will be worth it. i understand its frustrating waiting and such, try to see if the shop will cut you a deal to keep you a customer, and don't be stubborn and get something that is less than what you want.

i am not saying the SD jazz is bad, its not. i have had a guitar or two with one.

i have yet to get a liquifire i am going to order them with some other pickups some day (if i can stop buying amps). however i really like it in the two guitars i have played it in EBMM JPVI and a prestige ibanez, i really liked them both with the sound, and one is going to go in the neck of one of my prestiges.

point is wait if you want it.

or just get something else. and may or may not be satisfied and wait again (if it ever happens to have a long wait) you will just spend more money. thats just my opinion, and every time i have 'cheaped out' on things i was never happy.

and the nice thing is you won't be laying out more cash if you want and you get what you want.

/rant so

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Complain, politely, to Dimarzio and tell them how disappointed you are with the poor service after you'd heard such good things about them, and now you're considering looking elsewhere. Don't swear, don't whine like a petulant child and don't make stuff up, just explain the details of what happened and if you've got information that shows the delay like invoice dates and emails send those along as well.

In my experience Dimarzio (and Duncan for that matter) have some of the best customer service out there, if there's been a problem with their logistics and it's made them look bad they'll probably want to resolve it. They might not do anything, they might give you a free pickup...there's no way of knowing but they have a good track record when it comes to dealing with problems like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Complain, politely, to Dimarzio and tell them how disappointed you are with the poor service after you'd heard such good things about them, and now you're considering looking elsewhere. Don't swear, don't whine like a petulant child and don't make stuff up, just explain the details of what happened and if you've got information that shows the delay like invoice dates and emails send those along as well.

In my experience Dimarzio (and Duncan for that matter) have some of the best customer service out there, if there's been a problem with their logistics and it's made them look bad they'll probably want to resolve it. They might not do anything, they might give you a free pickup...there's no way of knowing but they have a good track record when it comes to dealing with problems like this.

^^Best advice I've seen in some time. In my dealings with people, this approach has paid off time and time again. By acting like a responsible adult, yet stating your concerns, you're telling them you're reasonable, yet want the problem resolved. You're giving them a chance to fix their mistake. When you cry/whine/swear/act like a two-year-old, it puts people on the defensive and then you'll get nowhere.

In this situation, I don't know why TS couldn't just order a Liquifire from a reputable dealer. It's not like they're rare or something...
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman42
It's not the dealer's mistake; it's Dimarzio's. They didn't ship the pickup for four weeks even though I called them to make sure it was in stock.

I'm still not seeing how it was Dimarzio's fault unless you ordered directly from them somehow.

You called the distributor to make sure it was in stock, then when they said it was, you ordered, it took 4 weeks to come from Dimarzio to you and then it was the wrong pickup?

Still seems like it's the retailers fault to me. If they said they had it in stock, it should have gone from them to you, not come from dimarzio. And if it was the wrong pickup that can be a mistake anywhere along the line and as the last people to check the shipment should be the retailer, it's on them to make sure you get the item you've paid for.

You have a contract with the company you purchased the pickup from, not with Dimarzio. And Dimarzio only have a relationship with their distributor, not you directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
interesting. I had issues getting the correct liquifire as well...

How do you get a -wrong- Liquifire? o.O
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
How do you get a -wrong- Liquifire? o.O

got sent a 7 string one. then a lime green one. then a completely different pickup before I got a black 6 string one.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I agree with steven seagull and KailM- but it's also worth bearing in mind what Lemoninfluence said, and being sure who's in the wrong and who's responsible before you start complaining, lol.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
saxman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
I'm still not seeing how it was Dimarzio's fault unless you ordered directly from them somehow.

You called the distributor to make sure it was in stock, then when they said it was, you ordered, it took 4 weeks to come from Dimarzio to you and then it was the wrong pickup?

Still seems like it's the retailers fault to me. If they said they had it in stock, it should have gone from them to you, not come from dimarzio. And if it was the wrong pickup that can be a mistake anywhere along the line and as the last people to check the shipment should be the retailer, it's on them to make sure you get the item you've paid for.

You have a contract with the company you purchased the pickup from, not with Dimarzio. And Dimarzio only have a relationship with their distributor, not you directly.

I called Dimarzio to make sure they had the pickup in stock and then ordered through a local shop I've dealt with a lot and want to support. They ordered the pickup directly from Dimarzio the next day and Dimarzio didn't ship it for four weeks. When it arrived, it was the wrong color, the owner of the shop owner called them and Dimarzio said they would expedite ship the correct one out right away (which was two weeks ago).

I found out today that it was just sent two days ago. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of next week. If so, I'll stick with it and I'm sure it will work great. If not, I'm going to go for the SD Jazz.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #15
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Have you talked to Dimarzio? Maybe you can get them to take off a chunk. Really, try it.
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Never hurts to ask- some companies really do still understand that good customer service = future sales.

I just got a limited edition Reverend guitar. The store processed my online order, but sold the one I was after in store. They had another one of that model in a different color...and to make sure I was a happy camper, they threw in a hardshell case for free.

Besides, if nobody complains about bad service, there is no feedback to the company, so they may never find out there's a problem until its too late. IOW, paradoxically, by complaining, you are giving DiMarzio a chance improve their business practices.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-10-2013 at 04:18 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #17
saxman42

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I just sent an email to Dimarzio explaining the issue. I was polite, but made it clear I'm not happy with the experience so far. I said I believe in giving them a chance to fix the mistake, asked for a discount on the pickup, and told them I have no problem giving them business in the future if they do so. Otherwise, I don't plan on buying from Dimarzio or recommending their pickups again.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited by saxman42 : 02-10-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #18
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

A simple order from MusiciansFriend would have gotten you the pickup in 2 days.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #19
saxman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
A simple order from MusiciansFriend would have gotten you the pickup in 2 days.

True, but I like to buy from this local shop whenever possible because the owner has been extremely helpful in the past and I want to make sure he stays in business.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
dannyalcatraz

AKA the doctrine of "enlightened self interest."

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: