Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #61
JokerGrin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunmerc
"undisputed scientific fact"

lel

obligatory Crack The Skye mention

OT: I'm definitely interested in trying it. To some degree it sounds pretty cool; whether it's actually an out of body experience or just a Wake Induced Lucid Dream doesn't really matter. It's definitely something that's worth trying imo.

Agreed.

What's this about Crack The Skye? You mean the Mastodon album, right?

If such a thing exists (which I'm not getting into) then I'd definitely be up for it. I've often managed to lucid dream once in my life that I can remember. Quite a few years ago, I was about 17. I hadn't been sleeping properly for a while, I'd had about an hour's sleep and done a whole day's work. I got into my room and quite literally collapsed on the bed, utterly exhausted. I then kinda floated out of my body, I can remember seeing myself led on the bed. I then left via my window and was flying over my town. It was utterly amazing. I then started imagining things which were appearing all around, fancy cars etc.

It didn't last all that long and I remember waking up crying, whether that was from joy or fear as to what was happening I'll never know. I'll never forget that.
JokerGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #62
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
No, 'sight' works via a signal from an eye which follows the optic nerve to the brain while a 'dream' originates within the brain itself and doesn't involve the optic nerve.

Kin 'ell, yes, but once in the brain, the signals are identical, only imagination cuts out the step of eye -> brain, which is what I said int first post

Quote:
There is however evidence that the visual cortex, the part of your brain in the back of your head is activated by imagined pictures in the same way it would be for actual pictures, but the mechanics of the activation are definately different.

yeah, that there isn't an outside stimuli required for imagination, as I said int first post

Quote:
No, if you 'sent' an image of a pony to my brain, then I'd be looking at an 'image' of a pony rather than an 'actual' pony. Unless of course the image you were sending was from a live feed from a camera that was indeed pointed at a real pony, in which case you would have effectively replaced my eyes with cybotic replacements.

yeah but
what would you say 'looking at an actual pony' is?
if its a result of light hitting the back of your retina resulting in messages sent to't brain, then if there were a means of replicating those messages then what would be the difference? Yeah, the second (stop)pony(2012) doesn't exist in spacetime, but neither does the first. It's all just flitting electrons operating under a probability function. The closer the look at irl the less we observe any of it actually being there

This means the only means of referencing anything to do with irl is based on impulses in our brain. That are the same impulses as when dreaming/imagining.

Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT : 02-10-2013 at 09:14 AM.
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #63
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Kin 'ell, yes, but once in the brain, the signals are identical, only imagination cuts out the step of eye -> brain, which is what I said int first post

But where does the imagination come from? Y'see that comes from a different area of the brain and also goes to the visual cortex. It's simply a case of one part of the body having more than one use, which really isn't unusual, take fingers for instance, we can use them for scratching or picking fruit.
Quote:
yeah, that there isn't an outside stimuli required for imagination, as I said int first post

So they work differently then, sight requires an outside stimuli while imagination doesn't.
Quote:
yeah but
what would you say 'looking at an actual pony' is?

I would call that 'sight'.
Quote:
if its a result of light hitting the back of your retina resulting in messages sent to't brain, then if there were a means of replicating those messages then what would be the difference?

The difference would be that the 'replicated' messages wouldn't have originated from light hitting the back of a retina, so it wouldn't be the same thing as 'sight'.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 02-10-2013 at 09:40 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #64
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Quote:
But where does the imagination come from? Y'see that comes from a different area of the brain and also goes to the visual cortex. It's simply a case of one part of the body having more than one use, which really isn't unusual, take fingers for instance, we can use them for scratching or picking fruit.

yes............ which is why.......... in the first post........... I said as opposed to observing Maya, One observes Self
Maya being an outside stimuli as elaborated in later posts
Self being the relevant part of the brain for that imagination (if it's an image, the visual cortex)

both means of 'seeing shit' end up in the same place, and it's the place that they end up that makes us see shit

Quote:
So they work differently then, sight requires an outside stimuli while imagination doesn't.

and it's the place that they end up that makes us see shit

Quote:
I would call that 'sight'.

Quote:
The difference would be that the 'replicated' messages wouldn't have originated from light hitting the back of a retina, so it wouldn't be the same thing as 'sight'.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #65
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

We're both saying the same thing but I think maybe you think I'm saying imagination originates in the retina which I'm not I'm saying that the place that imagination and 'traditional sight' end up is what gives rise to vision, this little bit of mush int back of our skulls, completely encased in darkness, but tricks us into thinking we can 'see' stuff. Sight isn't whatsoever an accurate representation of reality, instead, our interpretation, which is why they call it Maya (illusion)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #66
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
if we were to use light as an apparatus of measurement, and we remove the notion of time given that it's a fact that it doesn't exist,

If you say so. Clearly, time does exist, as a form of measurement at the least. After all, I'm quite certain that physics uses it to determine things like when the universe came into being and such.

Edit:
Although, I suppose one could say that our current measurements of time are a construct. However, time itself (as physics understands it today) is clearly not a construct.

Quote:
I'm not saying gravity 'doesn't exist', I'm saying our perception of it isn't and can't ever be what it truly is, on the basis that any reference we could ascribe to it is incorrect

Hmm...and? That doesn't really prove any of what you just said.

Quote:
getting real tired of your shit Sam

Join the club. We meet on Tuesdays.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 02-10-2013 at 12:24 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #67
Shotgunmerc
UG's Scootaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerGrin
What's this about Crack The Skye? You mean the Mastodon album, right?

They wrote the album partly about astral projection that's what the song Oblivion is about iirc
Until I spray the pesticide..."

One of the top UGers you'd most like to meet in 2014
Shotgunmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #68
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
If you say so. Clearly, physics do exist, as a form of measurement at the least. After all, I'm quite certain that physics uses it to determine things like when the universe came into being and such.

Hmm...and? That doesn't really prove any of what you just said.

Join the club. We meet on Tuesdays.

Calm down dear it's only a commercial

Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT : 02-10-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #69
JokerGrin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunmerc
They wrote the album partly about astral projection that's what the song Oblivion is about iirc

Ooo thank you mate. Any excuse to give it another spin
JokerGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #70
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Calm down dear it's only a commercial
If you dislike my objections to your pseudo-understanding of physics, then go ahead and block me.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #71
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

But I'm explaining to you why I'm right and you're just being a Jew about it

no antisemitism
you are though
explain to me how I'm wrong in owt I've said
I'm doing a ****ing physics degree fs

Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT : 02-10-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #72
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
But I'm explaining to you why I'm right and you're just being a Jew about it

no antisemitism
you are though
explain to me how I'm wrong in owt I've said
I'm doing a ****ing physics degree fs

Because clearly the concept of time exists. You're getting it all mostly right, but you're letting your own opinion bleed through. That's why I usually disagree with you, because you basically take physics (in this case) and then try to apply it to some New-Age-y/mystic bull.

Bandcamp

Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #73
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Suspect troll

-Michael Faraday

Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #74
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Suspect troll

I'll never tell...

(But honestly, I really do hate how this kid takes scientific concepts and then tries things like "using light as a measurement and bringing up another dimension" and tries to twist everything to fit his opinion. His understanding of physics is good; his logic is all over the place though.)

Bandcamp

Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #75
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
I'll never tell...

(But honestly, I really do hate how this kid takes scientific concepts and then tries things like "using light as a measurement and bringing up another dimension" and tries to twist everything to fit his opinion. His understanding of physics is good; his logic is all over the place though.)

Was talking about TS.

Some day, though, you'll realize that KILLSWITCHKNOT666XXX is an idiot and shouldn't be argued with.

-Michael Faraday

Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #76
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Quote:
Because clearly the concept of time exists. You're getting it all mostly right, but you're letting your own opinion bleed through. That's why I usually disagree with you, because you basically take physics (in this case) and then try to apply it to some New-Age-y/mystic bull.

No, we perceive time as being a flow of plancklengths in a specific direction, this doesn't mean that that's what time is. If we were to go up a dimension, we'd experience a sense of timelessness in that we'd exist in all time (and space) simultaneously. Time doesn't ****ing exist for ****s sake it's a ****ing human creation used to make living in this world easier and make sense, just in the same way that the concept of 'space' is our perception of something that is wholey divorced from what we experience.

Time is a ****ing illusion and **** you.
The only thing that exists is This Moment.
Past and Future are our brains telling us something to make sense of it.
Stop ****ing telling me I'm wrong when I'm not, at least come back with a ****ing counterargument instead of saying 'you are wrong hippie mystic bullshit boy' you ****ing dickbrick

stop bringing 'newagemysticbull' into this when I haven't (nor have I ever) referenced it once just cos you think I'm into it, which I aren't, piss off

Quote:
I'll never tell...

THATS HOW ****ING SCIENTISTS MEASURE THE UNIVERSE FOr ****s sake

it's our best measuring apparatus because its (generally) a constant and is better than using, say, an electron, which can be altered by many variables

This is the equivalent of a flatlander arguing that 'up' doesn't exist and then getting pissy when he's told that if he went into the 3d he'd see how it does

what's wrong with gong up to the dimension where time actually exists to show you how our perception of it is wrong? tell me how I'm wrong instead of just trying to frikkin grit at me

Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT : 02-10-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #77
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Was talking about TS.
Ah, well...

Some day, though, you'll realize that KILLSWITCHKNOT666XXX is an idiot and shouldn't be argued with.

I did block him, so... I had him blocked before and then unblocked him after a few months. (I was hoping that he'd adjusted to the Pit and wasn't acting like such an idiot. This thread and a few others has proved that he still is an idiot.) I think I'll keep him blocked this time.

Bandcamp

Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #78
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_time

"In physics, the Planck time (tP) is the unit of time in the system of natural units known as Planck units. It is the time required for light to travel, in a vacuum, a distance of 1 Planck length."

"The Planck time comes from a field of mathematical physics known as dimensional analysis, which studies units of measurement and physical constants. The Planck time is the unique combination of the gravitational constant G, the relativity constant c, and the quantum constant h, to produce a constant with units of time. For processes that occur in a time t less than one Planck time, the dimensionless quantity tP / t is greater than one."

no one will read this.
okay.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #79
fail
Custom Mandy Moore avatar

fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #80
macashmack
Maskcashmack

^ I don't smoke boy
Quote:
Was talking about TS.

Dude although I troll hard sometimes i am not trolling with this thread.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: