Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
jrowles

Jackson slx soloist or Dean ml 79?

So I was looking to buy a new guitar and I'd like to keep my budget to around $600. the Jackson slx Soloist and Dean ml 79 w/ floyd are both in that price range and seem to have that heavier sound that I'm looking for. So I was just wondering, which one would you recommend?
jrowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

I personally would keep away from Dean at all costs.

If i had no choice of another guitar, get the Jackson. But if you're willing to go used, you can easily get something like a used older Pro Series Jackson like an SL3 with that sort of money.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

The 79 series Deans aren't bad guitars. I see them as the Epiphone version of their Time Capsule guitars. The Deans you should avoid are the cheaper ones.

The biggest difference between the 79 and a USA guitar is the neck profile. The USA Deans have a thick neck profile and the ML79 is a slim neck.

Personally, I'd try both guitars if it's possible. The Jackson will probably have better specs out of the box though.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Geldin

I've never been a fan of Dean's low and mid range line of guitars. I'm not terribly familiar with the Soloist, but I've never heard anything particularly bad about Jackson's build quality regardless of price (I can't say the same for Dean).

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
jrowles

Thanks for the feedback guys. They should have those models at a local guitar center so I'll try 'em out and see how they sound
jrowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Doadman

I play a Jackson SL3 Soloist and it's been really good. The neck profile is fantastic and the build quality is excellent, though the setup from the factory was awful. The stock pickups were poor as I found the JB to be 'OK' at best (sounded much better in a different guitar) and the Hotrails were absolutely terrible but they were easily upgraded to Bare Knuckle items. I'd rather take a Jackson over a Dean any day.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
The 79 series Deans aren't bad guitars. I see them as the Epiphone version of their Time Capsule guitars. The Deans you should avoid are the cheaper ones.

The biggest difference between the 79 and a USA guitar is the neck profile. The USA Deans have a thick neck profile and the ML79 is a slim neck.

Personally, I'd try both guitars if it's possible. The Jackson will probably have better specs out of the box though.
That is an excellent way to put it. The 79's are the equivalent of an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

The 79's are well built and are done in the same factory as Korean LTD's and most Schecters. Their necks are very thin (by my standards) but play well. I would recommend looking for the Dean AT3000 model over the 79 though. They're the same thing, except the AT3000 comes with excellent pickups (the Time Capsule in the neck is my favorite clean pickup of all time) and a carved maple top vs the flat top on the 79. The AT3000 even says "ML79" on the back of the headstock.

As for which is better... that's entirely up to you. Play both and see what you think. Keep in mind ML's are giant guitars and take a bit to get used to
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D : 02-11-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: