Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Jukle

Pinstriping my Guitar

I've looked at some threads, and still am wondering how I'd go about doing this.

Here is a Photoshop example of what I want to do with my Viper:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/...uchu/guitar.jpg

If I paint it, I don't want to have to remove all the hardware, which is why the stripes are right above everything. I've been told that I could just clean the body, and apply a paint that matches with the finish used on the guitar (the problem is is that I don't know what type it is). Then I could spray it on, and clear coat it without having to do the whole body. Would this work? I would very much like some insight.

Also, how would using some sort of tape work instead of paint? If this would work fine as well, what tape would I use?

Thank you!

Last edited by Jukle : 02-09-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Jukle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer

We sometimes get adhesive plastic cutouts (we just call them vinyl, so I'm not really sure how are they called in your country) and spray a clear coat on top, then we level it and polish it. Something like this:

It's actually not that easy to do, it requires time and a bit of knowledge of what you're doing, but IMHO it is a cleaner, easier alternative to paint.

Also, your finish is most likely poly, I doubt it is nitro. I suggest isolating the area with paper and tape before putting the clear coat so you don't get any of the clear coat on the neck and hardware.

Last edited by MG_Sora : 02-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.
MG_Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
RedMist

Auto paint suppliers sell masks for stripes in different widths (basically tape). I'd say that's your best bet.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Jukle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_Sora
We sometimes get adhesive plastic cutouts (we just call them vinyl, so I'm not really sure how are they called in your country) and spray a clear coat on top, then we level it and polish it. Something like this:

So, basically I find some adhesive stripe tape /or cutouts, and when I place them on, go over it with some clear coat?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer

Yes, that's pretty much it, but make sure to try in another surface first, just to make sure that the adhesive won't get dissolved by the clear coat as they COULD share the same solvent base.

As suggested, automotive masking tapes could work, as they are really resistant to solvents (they would kind of suck if they didn't hold on to a surface, wouldn't they?). Anyway, make sure to try first on something else first.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Jukle

Okay, will do. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
RebuildIt

I guess it depends a lot on what you think a quality job looks like, and if a quality job is what you really want. You will have some difficulty getting a smooth finish with the hardware in place. If you really want to spend the time to do a good finish, it will probably be less work to remove the hardware than work around it. If you double or triple tape over the hardware before you sand you can bump it a few times without actually doing any damage. The risk of scuffing up the hardware's finish while sanding increase the more you sand. Masking tape is pretty good at resisting a few accidental attacks, but dont start trusting it too much!
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: