Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Rensa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Led Zeppelin = STEALING PIGS!

Led Zeppelin are stealing bastards and im going to prove it to anyone who doesnt know. You cannot call this sampling or borrowing, OR COVERING. They stole songs note by note and exact lyrics. I used to listen to old blues and folk music and started listening to Led Zeppelin a few months ago and i got so angry, they got all that recognition and money for NOTHING. Just playing old songs with new technology. Writing songs is not easy, taking someone elses is. They didnt even give credit to the songs. Im not saying they suck, they just stole all their best music. Lets go!

1. Stairway to Heaven = Cry Me A River by Davy Graham/Spirit by Taurus.



Listen from 0:19





Page was a big fan of Davy Graham, no doubt. But Zeppelin toured with Taurus at one point and people think they got it from Taurus.

2. Whole Lotta Love = You Need Love by Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon (Lyrics)/Hey Joe by Billy Roberts.





Listen From 0:15 - 0:18



Vocal Parts from Muddy/Dixon and guitar part from Billy (Yes Hendrix Covered that song, not the Leaves, he basicly added the solo to it.)

3. Dazed and Confused = Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes .



Listen The Whole Song



4. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You = Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Joan Baez.



Listen The Whole Song



5. Black Mountain Side = Blackwater Side by Bert Jansch .



Listen The Whole Song



6. Communication Breakdown = Nervous Breakdown by Eddie Cochran.



Listen from 0:20 and forward



7. Since I've Been Loving You = Never by Grape Jam.



Listen To Whole Song



8. How Many More Years = Killing Floor by Howling Wolf/The Hunter by Albert King./Bolero by Jeff Beck



Listen To Whole Song







These are the main songs, there are alot more out there. Willie Dixon went to court with his songs being plagiarised and later Led Zeppelin added the credits to his songs.

LED ZEPPELIN, THE GREATEST COVER BAND EVER
Rensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Darkhuskey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
The artist is Spirit; the song is called Taurus.
Darkhuskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Soccerguy
Bloo
 
Soccerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
This is beyond stupid. Saying that Whole Lotta Love is stolen because of a three second snippet is ridiculous, or because some guy holds "nervous breakdown" for a few seconds and Robert Plant holds "insane" is just beyond my comprehension.

There's also no artist named Grape Jam, it's Moby Grape.

A lot of these are commonly used riffs too, or common riff bases. The fact that the riff from Killing Floor sounds like part of Since I've Been Loving You means that Led Zeppelin is purportedly a cover band, as you say, also means that 99% of blues artists are too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
People were surprised to hear this 30 years ago. Now nobody cares.


Plus this. Everyone knows that every band over the past 40 years stole music from someone. Did Zeppelin do a fair share of "borrowing"? Yes. But most of your cases are still silly.

Last edited by Soccerguy : 02-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
People were surprised to hear this 30 years ago. Now nobody cares.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified
 
Showiddlydiddly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England
Welcome to the blues, you must be new here.

Actually, you know, just welcome to music.
Showiddlydiddly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Rensa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerguy
This is beyond stupid. Saying that Whole Lotta Love is stolen because of a three second snippet is ridiculous, or because some guy holds "nervous breakdown" for a few seconds and Robert Plant holds "insane" is just beyond my comprehension.

There's also no artist named Grape Jam, it's Moby Grape.

A lot of these are commonly used riffs too, or common riff bases. The fact that the riff from Killing Floor sounds like part of Since I've Been Loving You means that Led Zeppelin is purportedly a cover band, as you say, also means that 99% of blues artists are too.



Plus this. Everyone knows that every band over the past 40 years stole music from someone. Did Zeppelin do a fair share of "borrowing"? Yes. But most of your cases are still silly.


Chord progression, words, exact notes. That is PLAGIARISM.
Rensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
thetrueballs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I read somewhere that they got sued by Joan Baez for the lyrics of 'Babe, I'm gonna leave you', but they got away somehow because of good lawyers and their influence. In the end, Joan just got credited.. along with Plant and Page(kinda sucks for her).

To their defense, it was kind of a norm back then to 'get inspiration' from older blues classics and folk songs, particularly during improvisations. But these are more than just 'inspired.'

Yeah it's kind of disgusting, cause these it's more than obvious. But these guys are just too good, and they're still one of my favorite bands, so it's kind of a guilty pleasure listening to them.
thetrueballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
ProtoCosmos
UG's Chicken Kicker
 
ProtoCosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ritchie Blackmore is notorious for this. He even said, "That's the best thing, just to steal".

Point being, this happens all the time. I'd be thankful, if I were you. You wouldn't have all this great music
__________________
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
ProtoCosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
dude. old news bro.

plus bacon is tasty and if I was hungry I might steal a pig too.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Nameless742
UG Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
There's a fine line between inspiration and copying. I'd consider these more inspired by than plagiarised.
Though the similarities are quite nifty.
__________________
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
thes50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
And not a single **** was given that day...
thes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
Welcome to music, you must be new. Allow me to show you around. Over there, you'll find the "Nearly everyone stole from everyone" section, and over here you'll find the "Almost everyone already knew that" area, and then just over yonder you can see where the "No one gives a flying fuck" is located. If you need more assistance, please feel free to check out the "Now go cry someone else a river and get over it" Encyclopedia Vol. III

.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness

Last edited by TheUltimateSin : 02-10-2013 at 12:45 PM.
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
 
BrainDamage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Part of me wants to keep this thread open because it's kinda hilarious, but well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
People were surprised to hear this 30 years ago. Now nobody cares.
***CLOSED***

__________________
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.