Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
ASClark
/></ |..|.

Brand new S5470, has a dead fret

So I just got an Ibanez S5470, and it has a dead fret on the High E first fret. I cannot return/take it to get adjusted professionally, as I live in Italy but an am American Military member. AFAIK there are no guitar techs in a 100 mi radius. Anyways, I adjusted to string action a bit to fix the fret, but had to raise the strings much too high to compensate. I then lowered them back down, and adjusted the truss rod slightly until the dead fret was fixed.

My question is, did I do the right thing, or is there a better way to fix this? My string action seems a little high now, atleast it is higher than my Schecter's. The guitar is still relatively easy to play but the strings are about 2.2mm at the 14th fret (high side).

I'm a little flustered, as its an expensive guitar and I was hoping to have no issues with it, but I am aware that no guitar arrives after a 3k mi journey in multiple planes and environments/climates without issue. Any advice on how to set this up properly would be much appreciated.

Schecter Atx C-1 BlackJack
Bugera 333 120watt tube
Digitech RP250
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Metal Muff w/topboost
Dunlop Jazz III picks

BUCKETHEAD IS WIN
ASClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Nope, you did the right thing.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Get some sort of flat, stiff edge that you can place on frets 1-3 and try rocking it. As long as it stays flat and there's nothing wrong with the 2nd fret, then it was just a truss rod issue and you should be fine. If it does rock back n forth, then you might need to file a fret down to get it level.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: