User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #61
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
Can I get an objective description of feel?

It's just that feel, bro. Ya'know?
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #62
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Not only is half of the original's "feel" lost in the remaster

you hopeless twat Ian
Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #63
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:

It's just that feel, bro. Ya'know?

Seriously though, stop bullshitting and give me an objective description of feel.

last.fm
anvil is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #64
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Seriously though, stop bullshitting and give me an objective description of feel.
There isn't one.

It's really just a combination of things, from the spread being messed up as mentioned to having the shitty smile-EQ that plagues modern mixes (mostly rock, metal, and pop).

And being a digital remaster, that just makes it more of an approximation recording, like what you'd hear from a CD or 44.1khz/s sound.

EDIT: You know now that I think of it, I could also be biased by the fact that I'm using a high-end turntable & stylus, yet a barely-working CD player from the mid-80's.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 02-10-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #65
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08

you hopeless twat Ian
Coming from Mr. "Bass is there to be felt, not heard."
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #66
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:
There isn't one.

It's really just a combination of things, from the spread being messed up as mentioned to having the shitty smile-EQ that plagues modern mixes (mostly rock, metal, and pop).

And being a digital remaster, that just makes it more of an approximation recording, like what you'd hear from a CD or 44.1khz/s sound.

EDIT: You know now that I think of it, I could also be biased by the fact that I'm using a high-end turntable & stylus, yet a barely-working CD player from the mid-80's.

Analog is still approximation, with the loss of some of the bass/treble and added mids. Also, what you describe is the fault of a shitty mix to begin with.

last.fm
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #67
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Analog is still approximation, with the loss of some of the bass/treble and added mids.
It's still less of an approximation. Assuming everything is correct, analog is a near perfect sinewave (but not entirely smooth), digital is a squarewave reproduction.

Same reason good tube guitar amps sound better than cheaper digital/modeling amps. And even with higher end digital amps, they're still trying to emulate a tube signal, yet still is not the real thing. Just an approximation.

Of course, this probably doesn't matter or appeal to you as you are most likely still a broke teenager running an Epiphone through a Spider III with no ear for good tone.

Quote:
Also, what you describe is the fault of a shitty mix to begin with.
Did you even read what the hell I posted? The original print doesn't have those problems. The remaster does.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 02-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #68
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Did you even read what the hell I posted? The original print doesn't have those problems. The remaster does.

Like he previously stated, it's the engineer's fault, not digital's. You'll take back those words when you listen to a proper digital remaster
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Soundcloud

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #69
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
Like he previously stated, it's the engineer's fault, not digital's. You'll take back those words when you listen to a proper digital remaster
Yes, but he said "at first," as in when the album was first recorded. Yet ruined in the remastering.

Please direct me to a good digital remaster, because from my experience all they (engineers) try to do is make it "iPod friendly" (i.e. giving it the "smile", over-compressing everything, making it louder, etc.). Some albums aren't as terribly effected, but some are just straight-up ruined.

I have a copy of Rush's Permanent Waves on CD that's a digital remaster. It's so butchered it's almost unlistenable. Though I've generally heard that Atlantic is known for terrible remasters.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #70
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Please direct me to a good digital remaster

I would but it's going to cost you money because I'm going to make you buy a handful of albums.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Soundcloud

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #71
anvil is god
can't do enough

Quote:
It's still less of an approximation. Assuming everything is correct, analog is a near perfect sinewave (but not entirely smooth), digital is a squarewave reproduction.

The problem with this logic is that any difference is extremely subtle or unnoticeable, because the human ear can't process sound fast enough to pick it up. Theoretically, there is a huge difference, but in practice it hardly exists with a quality digital recording on a decent medium.
Quote:
Same reason good tube guitar amps sound better than cheaper digital/modeling amps. And even with higher end digital amps, they're still trying to emulate a tube signal, yet still is not the real thing. Just an approximation.

Don't bring that up, as the DSP done in modeling amps and digital playback are two separate things.
Quote:

Of course, this probably doesn't matter or appeal to you as you are most likely still a broke teenager running an Epiphone through a Spider III with no ear for good tone.

Actually, I'm a broke teenager with a Douglas and a Peavey Valveking. I can assure you that I know how to dial in a decent tone.
Quote:

Again, if somebody remastered and does a shitty job, no matter how good the original, the outcome will still be bad.

last.fm
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #72
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys

Minus all the Analog vs. Digital debate in the thread, it depends on the mastering done on the album. For example; The Who - Who's Next on vinyl sounds a ton better than it does on cd, in my opinion. The reason for this is that IIRC back in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. music was mastered for vinyl, not cd, which would make the cd's sound quality inferior.

Nowadays however, since the cd is more convinient and shit, music is mastered for cd or even as an MP3. On new vinyls there is not a huge sound difference in terms of quality of sound, clarity of instruments, etc. the majority of the time. For example, Amon Amarth - With Oden on our Side sounds exactly the same on record as it does on cd.

This does not take into account the record player, which I can't say that I know a whole lot about bad ones since I inherited my dad's one, which was top of the line when he bought it.

IE: depends on the vinyl, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold
A creamy guinness from a proper shitty old man bar will save your life, but a bad one from a nightclub will destroy your arsehole.

lfm
Helloween4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: