Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
mattmakaha

The origins of human cruelty--where does it come from?

Everyone knows about the Holocaust, but there is something called the "forgotten holocaust" or the Rape of Nanjing (alternate spelling is Nanking). The Nanjing massacre occurred during roughly the same time period (historically speaking) as the Holocaust (the Nanking massacre occurred in 1937). What the Japanese soldiers did to the civilian population was unbelievable, to me it was even worse than what the Nazis did to the Jews, Gypsies etc. I mean you had Japanese soldiers pouring sulfuric acid on a man's head to see what happens, raping 80 year old ladies and 1 year old babies, decapitation contests with a katana, slicing open pregnant women and putting the fetus on the tip of the bayonet and parading it around the street. And after the war, these soldiers had no remorse. I remember reading about a japanese lady who in the 1950s remembers overhearing in a bar a couple of former japanese soldiers bragging about killing chinese in Nanjing and talking about how far they could stick their arm inside a woman's genitals. Unbelievable....

Even Nazis themselves were appalled by the violence. There were a few Nazi officials residing in the diplomatic safe zone in Nanjing who witnessed what happened and chronicled it....

The Chinese population did nothing to provoke those japanese soldiers. Why was there so much hate against the chinese? It's not like how someone would hurt your wife or family member, and you want revenge. No....these civilians did nothing to the japanese soldiers.

And these kinds of behaviors continue today. A couple of months ago, I heard this on the radio on the BBC World Service: they were interviewing a lady from an African country, I forget which one, I think it might have been the Republic of Congo. But anyway, she survived an ordeal where some thugs beat her up, and cut off one of her feet, threw her foot in the fire, then took it out of the fire and told one of her kids to eat her dismembered foot, and when her child refused, they killed that child. I don't even know how a person would even think of doing something like that.....

So my question is: what is the nature of human cruelty?

Are we naturally evil?

Is it proof that we evolved from animals?

Because believe me, in war zones humans, especially the males, can damn sure act like animals. It's still happening in this world today in war zones, and I think it's utterly disgusting.

What do you think about the nature of human cruelty?
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Weaponized

Video games

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
captainsnazz
maybe cat

Cannibal Corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
Anyone who needs a degree to think their good isn't doing music right, it's like taking a class in being funny.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Questions are very vague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha

That it's cruel. Too vague of a question.
Quote:
Are we naturally evil?

Yes. As evil as anything else in nature. Although one needs to point out that there is no such thing as objective evil. We only label certain behaviors as evil so that we can function as a society.
Quote:

The question is irrelevant. Evolution is irrefutably factual regardless.
Quote:

That any cruelty is wrong from my personal perception of what's cruel. Question is too vague to give a compelling answer.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-09-2013 at 11:44 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Joshua Garcia
[vague user title]

Yeah I'm far to lazy to read all that, so I'll just answer the questions.

Quote:

Probably came from hate. Hate probably coming from jealousy as far back as caveman times. I dunno.

Quote:
Are we naturally evil?

No.

Quote:

No. There's a fine line between everyday nature and mental problems.

Quote:

Everything I said above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
shove a gas station up your ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
I'd rather shove a stick of butter up my ass and let it drip out.
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Bad parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
Video games

Video games are a modern creation, torture and killing are not
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Amuro Jay
shake it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna F. Seiei
I wanted to know why our world is so terminally distorted. Where did that distortion come from? Why there are people who are unconsciously evil? Why people don't know that their evil hurts others. Why is humanity an existence which only conflicts with itself? Why are there people who rule and those who are ruled? Why do we wound each other? In spite of all this, why do people go on living like they do?
OP is Setsuna.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Colgate Total
I <3 drugs

Location: Galloping Through Bastard Fires on My Metal Chariot
People are dickheads.
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Colgate Total is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
And these kinds of behaviors continue today.

It doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to relative to population though.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-09-2013 at 11:53 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Oh sorry, that was my bad

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Quote:
Video games are a modern creation, torture and killing are not

Neither is sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Probably came from hate. Hate probably coming from jealousy as far back as caveman times.

But what does jealousy have to do with torturing 80 year old ladies and 1 year old babies like the japanese were doing to the chinese?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Joshua Garcia
[vague user title]

Quote:
But what does jealousy have to do with torturing 80 year old ladies and 1 year old babies like the japanese were doing to the chinese?

That's not the point I was making. I'm saying hate probably all started with jealousy. Probably other things too, but that's what immediately comes to mind when thinking of life before civilization came to be. Then that hate gave others reasons to hate other things. Then hate, hate, more hate, a side of hate, and hate-potatoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
shove a gas station up your ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
I'd rather shove a stick of butter up my ass and let it drip out.
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Because people like to **** with other people. So tell me; are you going to be a bitch and just flinch and cry at this behavior, or are you going to pick up arms and do something about it?

I dont mean this to you personally, but this is the general answer that i give to people that ask these kinds of questions.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
halfj06

Human violence probably started when adam asked for a sammich and eve got sassy
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #17
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
It doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to relative to population though.

yes, that is true, there are a lot more people today than just a few centuries ago....

But you know, it's not just the violence in the rape of Nanjing that is so disturbing, let me explain a little bit more first, bear with me:

When I found out about the Nanjing massacare, at first I wanted to disown my own Japanese heritage (well I'm a quarter Japanese, half Chinese, and a quarter native Hawaiian), because I was so disgusted. And I understood why until today, some Chinese still hate the Japanese. Currently there is a dispute over some islands off the japanese coast, but several years ago, there were widespread protests across China (and South Korea--comfort women etc. but that is a whole other story), because in Japan, in school text books, all references to the Rape of Nanking were removed, as if it never happened.

I believe that in some countries in Europe, Holocaust denial is a crime punishable by imprisonment. But there is nothing like that in Japan. Some japanese deny that the Nanjing massacre even happened. But if that were the case, why did Nazi officials and other foreign officials in Nanjing during the massacre see these things with their own eyes, and also photos from japanese soldiers were later confiscated which showed the atrocities? Why did people from all across the Pacific islands that were under Japanese occupation talk about the atrocities of the Imperial Japanese army?

During their occupation of parts of China, the japanese had experimented with biological weapons, dropping them on chinese villages, they also had a medical unit that did vivisection (cutting open live human beings without anesthesia for medical study)--just incredibly disturbing stuff.

Only a tiny handful of the top japanese officers were punished, but everyone else went scot free, which brings me to my next point....

And this is the most disturbing thing of all.....is that supposed war hero General Douglas McCarthur brokered a deal with the japanese where the U.S. and it's allies would not seek prosecution of war crimes if the japanese would share information with the U.S. about scientific/medical information that was learned by the japanese when the japanese used biological weapons on chinese villages. At that point, when I found out about all of this, my heart sank and I felt like jumping off a bridge in disgust.

The U.S. and it's allies were going to make a mockery of justice, just to glean info about biological weapons tests the japanese carried out on the chinese. If that is not the definition of disgusting, then I don't know what is.....

So in summary, maybe it's not just the violence that is so disturbing, but the whole of human nature (like what the U.S. didn't do to japanese war criminals)

...One comment I wanted to add about the video that you posted: if the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 ended differently/badly and the U.S. and the Soviet Union had a full exchange of their entire arsenal of nuclear weapons, the ENTIRE human race (and 95% of all living things on the planet too) would have come to an end in the ensuing nuclear winter (as Carl Sagan had calculated), so that would skew those graphs big time...

Last edited by mattmakaha : 02-10-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #18
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

I may just get flamed a little bit too much if I honestly replied to those questions. Which is ironic. Cause this thread is about cruelty.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #19
Weaponized

Is this thread really about cruelty, it looks like it's about Japan

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #20
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by neidnarb11890
If you don't know about the Rape of Nanking you are dumb/went to a shitty school, sorry for you.

No one really cares about it though 'cuz China are stupid Commies who are destroying the environment & threatening America's world dominance.

In contrast, people care about the Holocaust because it happened in First World White Person Land & history is generally taught from a Eurocentric perspective. (Not because the Jews own the media; sorry, dumby.)

They never taught it at my school.

In fact, I highly doubt most people here in the US have ever heard of it.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: