Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #21
bradulator
through being cool
 
bradulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I've never learned about the Rape of Nanking
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #22
me+yourmom=69
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Some people are just dicks and when normal people are around them they act like dicks too
me+yourmom=69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #23
bradulator
through being cool
 
bradulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
WOW me+yourmom=69 is so right about you neidnarb11890
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #24
catempire
yawn...
 
catempire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I only learned about it as a brief part of WWII history, which wasn't taught in lots of detail. I mean, there isn't that much of a reason to put too much emphasis on it anyway - there are plenty of examples of similar conduct in war.

/can of worms
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
catempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #25
me+yourmom=69
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
yes but did the atom bomb rape thousands women THAT were clearly asking for it?
me+yourmom=69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #26
catempire
yawn...
 
catempire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by me+yourmom=69
yes but did the atom bomb rape thousands women THAT were clearly asking for it?

Sorry, are you saying the women were asking to be raped or that the civilians were asking to be bombed?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
catempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #27
me+yourmom=69
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by catempire
Sorry, are you saying the women were asking to be raped or that the civilians were asking to be bombed?


I was saying both.
me+yourmom=69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #28
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian
 
Zoot Allures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by catempire
I only learned about it as a brief part of WWII history, which wasn't taught in lots of detail. I mean, there isn't that much of a reason to put too much emphasis on it anyway - there are plenty of examples of similar conduct in war.

/can of worms

Interesting, where to draw the line, i don't think piloting the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima is really similar to torturing someone to death, even if both have the same outcome. Both can be considered immoral, whence come cruelty?

You can make a good argument for it though.
__________________
My fan club:
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/z...lures_fan_club/

〘◣_◢〙 Broken Clocks, click 'help i'm a rock'
HELP I'M A ROCK!

My Blog:
http://jackoswritings.wordpress.com//

A fan of whisk(e)y? Click here!
Zoot Allures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #29
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
 
Todd Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Weed.
__________________
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Todd Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #30
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip
 
Cianyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Absurdistan
ingesting bath salts
__________________
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #31
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
 
JohnnyGenzale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sweden
thirst for power. power over your fellow man.
__________________
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #32
the bartender
Biologist
 
the bartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: the Netherlands
agression (which leads to cruelty) is one of the most basic instinctual habits of all. I don't know when it originated, but it must have been long before anything that even remotely resembled a human being came along.
__________________
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #33
SMH07
Haters, dismissed.
 
SMH07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newcastle, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
Video games


__________________
Last.fm

The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
SMH07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #34
adamgur96
Not caring no more
 
adamgur96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Obamacare
__________________
I put my sig in a spoiler because i view UG sigless anyway.
adamgur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #35
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
 
JohnnyGenzale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sweden
Marilyn Manson
__________________
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #36
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
yes, that is true, there are a lot more people today than just a few centuries ago....

There is also only a tiny fraction of the violence. Sure, the first half of the 20th century was the bloodiest in human history when you look at the absolute number of deaths, but the premise of that video also demonstrates that the rate of population growth FAR exceeds the growth in violence, so it is all a moot point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
But you know, it's not just the violence in the rape of Nanjing that is so disturbing, let me explain a little bit more first, bear with me:

When I found out about the Nanjing massacare, at first I wanted to disown my own Japanese heritage (well I'm a quarter Japanese, half Chinese, and a quarter native Hawaiian), because I was so disgusted. And I understood why until today, some Chinese still hate the Japanese. Currently there is a dispute over some islands off the japanese coast, but several years ago, there were widespread protests across China (and South Korea--comfort women etc. but that is a whole other story), because in Japan, in school text books, all references to the Rape of Nanking were removed, as if it never happened.

It's funny you say this because i never learned about this in school either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
I believe that in some countries in Europe, Holocaust denial is a crime punishable by imprisonment. But there is nothing like that in Japan. Some japanese deny that the Nanjing massacre even happened. But if that were the case, why did Nazi officials and other foreign officials in Nanjing during the massacre see these things with their own eyes, and also photos from japanese soldiers were later confiscated which showed the atrocities? Why did people from all across the Pacific islands that were under Japanese occupation talk about the atrocities of the Imperial Japanese army?

Because they obviously don't want a war between the Chinese and Japanese to occur. Look at it from their point of view. It may be wrong to keep such information away from the public, but it's information that could cause genocides from organized hate groups, which would only make the situation even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
So in summary, maybe it's not just the violence that is so disturbing, but the whole of human nature (like what the U.S. didn't do to japanese war criminals)

The thing you need to realize is that evil is just a part of nature. There is evil in everything and everyone, we are just the first known species to recognize it for what it is, and lament it's horrors.

I'm stating this more from a philosophical standpoint, but people also need to recognize that evil is not only a force for destruction but also a force for creation. An action or occurrence that may be considered evil from one perspective can easily be considered good from another viewpoint. That's why we have different moralities.

The lioness may kill the gazelle, which is an evil action from the perspective of the gazelle, but the gazelle is needed for the lioness to feed herself and to feed her cubs. It's not so much an evil action from the perspective of the lioness, it's just what needs to be done to survive.

So here's another question i'd like to ask: What is good without evil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
...One comment I wanted to add about the video that you posted: if the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 ended differently/badly and the U.S. and the Soviet Union had a full exchange of their entire arsenal of nuclear weapons, the ENTIRE human race (and 95% of all living things on the planet too) would have come to an end in the ensuing nuclear winter (as Carl Sagan had calculated), so that would skew those graphs big time...

But the fact that it never happened is testament as to how far our society has come. Although we have found ways to kill people more effectively, we have also learned to be more responsible with such weapons of war.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #37
CrAzY-RiLeY
not french
 
CrAzY-RiLeY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: france
curiosity is the root of all evil.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
CrAzY-RiLeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
Philip_pepper
UG Wanker
 
Philip_pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I blame evolution.

In order to survive as a species, we had to have some sort of ability to be "evil" and violent. That trait still exists today and, obviously, it isn't going to go away any time soon.
__________________
oedipus_pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
Love you too Philip.



Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #39
Dreadnought
Nyctophiliac
 
Dreadnought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Spaceship of the Imagination
I have no idea. It really is a shame though.
__________________
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
Tsar66
untitled
 
Tsar66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Scotland
money, duh
__________________
tumblr.
Last.fm
Tsar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.