Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #41
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square

I suppose it's pretty simple, from an evolutionary point of view. The baddest mofo gets the bitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY-RiLeY
curiosity is the root of all evil.

..?

Please elaborate.

Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
HIBERNIAN FC
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 14/15
NeutralFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #42
Bikewer

The above post about evolution is incomplete but may be on the right track. Here's my notions:

First, we are innately capable of violence. This is a survival mechanism. All of our primate relatives and ancestors are quite pugnacious when threatened, and quite capable too. Chimps are able to do terrific violence.
In addition, early human characteristics include the idea of territoriality, of protectiveness, and of being fearful of/violent to the "other", similar small groups of competing humans.
Remember the opening scenes of "2001"?
This is pretty much hard-wired into human nature. Of course, there are a lot of "good" things too, our tendencies towards altruism, cooperation, and so forth.
Still, we have this baggage from our evolutionary heritage.
It served our primitive ancestors well. They lived in small groups of hunter-gatherers and that was fine.
When civilization started up, suddenly these things were amplified. Instead of rarely encountering rival groups and mostly scaring them off with threat displays, we were in constant contact with other groups of people, people with whom you were competing for resources and room and so forth.
Also, if you build farms and cities, now territoriality becomes writ large. It's one thing to think of a certain stretch of savannah as "yours"... You can easily move to another if necessary.
But if you build a city and plant fields and all... Then that's "yours" in no uncertain terms and you'll defend it viciously.
As well, as it expands, you'll think that maybe the next city over is a threat.

Most all early war was between small villages and settlements over resources. The "other" becomes dehumanized. They are not as good as our group... They are not even human.
Anything becomes permissible.
Add religion into this mix.... Not only are the "others" different from you, they don't worship the same gods. Your gods get angry....
Human history has a very long record not only of interpersonal violence over anger and jealousy and rivalry and all that, but also institutional violence excused by religion and racism and all that and motivated more deeply by competition and deep-seated human emotional responses.

Finally, "the capacity of human beings for self-delusion is apparently infinite". We can rationalize almost anything. We excuse the most atrocious behavior to ourselves.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #43
CrAzY-RiLeY
not french

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralFan
I suppose it's pretty simple, from an evolutionary point of view. The baddest mofo gets the bitches.

..?

Please elaborate.

the constant need to fulfill curiosity is what we call will, but it has come to a point where we all do things simply to see what happens, and also because we can.
CrAzY-RiLeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #44
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

I would say it's just cos like people have inner shit don't they and if their inner shits too piled up then it spews out a bit and becomes irl shit cos people need an outlet and shit

Any outward act, negative or positive, is a symptom of an inner stimuli. People have that inner shit cos life is suffering int it. Making someone else suffer kind of lessens the blow over how ****ing hopelessly low control we have over life, but it could also be some weird vicarious shit, cos everyone likes watching videos of fat people falling over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Human violence probably started when adam asked for a sammich and eve got sassy

hehe

Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT : 02-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #45
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I blame evolution.

In order to survive as a species, we had to have some sort of ability to be "evil" and violent. That trait still exists today and, obviously, it isn't going to go away any time soon.

I don't see how being cruel is a trait that would beneficial to evolution. It's more than the japanese and some african tribes are an extra cruel culture within mankind.

Inb4 people come up with very cruel things the Europeans have done.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #46
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I blame evolution.

In order to survive as a species, we had to have some sort of ability to be "evil" and violent. That trait still exists today and, obviously, it isn't going to go away any time soon.

Altruism is the key evolutionary trait that creates population booms and security. It also creates an environment for cruel figures to stay alive and prosper as well, feeding off of the altruistic system. No society has ever survived by ignoring and attacking infants because they don't contribute capital or useful skills towards the society.
gnoight ug
Zaphikh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #47
rak411

Please, animals has no cruelty compared to humans, its all but natural survival for them. mind what you say.

human cruelty though, I have yet to understand the source. But nowadays its not from the source anymore, it is from wrong teaching.
rak411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #48
the bartender
Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak411
Please, animals has no cruelty compared to humans, its all but natural survival for them. mind what you say.

human cruelty though, I have yet to understand the source. But nowadays its not from the source anymore, it is from wrong teaching.
What you're saying is so incredibly wrong that I don't even know how to begin explaining why.

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore

Last edited by the bartender : 02-10-2013 at 06:13 PM.
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #49
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY-RiLeY
the constant need to fulfill curiosity is what we call will, but it has come to a point where we all do things simply to see what happens, and also because we can.

So people do incredibly cruel things just because they want to see what it looks like? Sorry, but that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
HIBERNIAN FC
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 14/15
NeutralFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #50
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

Proof we evolved from animals? While I don't doubt evolution, nor do I deny that we humans are also animals (a word we invented to describe conscious lifeforms, which we categorized into different species and "races" which are also just man-made constructs), I believe a certain level of intelligence is required to be capable of true evil. You have to know what you're doing is wrong.

Last edited by MrDo0m : 02-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #51
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender
What you're saying is so incredibly wrong that I don't even know how to begin explaining why.

When you have time to collect your thoughts, I'd like for you to explain why, if you don't mind.

Last edited by MrDo0m : 02-11-2013 at 06:22 PM.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #52
ninnipinni93
hates weirdos

Atheism
ninnipinni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #53
guitarninjaruy
I'm not a Registerd User

Fear is a powerful weapon.

Funky hot
guitarninjaruy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #54
DeadlyIllness
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catempire
I only learned about it as a brief part of WWII history, which wasn't taught in lots of detail. I mean, there isn't that much of a reason to put too much emphasis on it anyway - there are plenty of examples of similar conduct in war.

/can of worms

Someone did some serious landscaping!
DeadlyIllness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #55
shavorules42
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by neidnarb11890
>Ohio
>Oklahoma

No surprises here.

Eat me I learned about the Rape of Nanking

And cup his balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
shavorules42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #56
Eastwinn
pulling empty hall alarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar66
money, duh

i was hoping you'd say "class struggle"

Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #57
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
I don't see how being cruel is a trait that would beneficial to evolution..

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #58
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Men have always liked to beat meat, so we must beat all of the meat.

all of the meat @_@

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #59
leeb rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
I don't see how being cruel is a trait that would beneficial to evolution. It's more than the japanese and some african tribes are an extra cruel culture within mankind.

Inb4 people come up with very cruel things the Europeans have done.

Maybe not cruelty as a trait in itself but I could definitely see how many necessary aspects of it could provide an evolutionary advantage. For example the very sharp limits on groups/experiences which evoke empathy. I think evolution probably makes it a possibility than actively selects for it but that's really just guesswork.
leeb rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #60
Twofly
UG's official GhostHunter

Wow I never heard about Nanking...can't believe something so atrocious like that was allowed to happen...

Rate This Thread: