Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #61
CrAzY-RiLeY
not french
 
CrAzY-RiLeY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: france
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralFan
So people do incredibly cruel things just because they want to see what it looks like? Sorry, but that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.


never heard the expression " destruction is the greatest form of creation"?

its not too see what it looks like, its to see the consequences that it creates.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
CrAzY-RiLeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #62
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
While it's impossible to date the origins of human cruelty, we could possibly date the beginnings of our modern definitions of human cruelty to the 'Code of Hammurabi'.
Hammurabi was a king of Babylon from 1792 BC to 1750 BC and the 'Code of Hammurabi' is the first known code of morality in recorded history. Of course, such codes could be much older and could have been passed on oraly before first being written down by Hammurabi. (writing had only existed for about 2000 years before then and was mainly used for keeping agriculatural records up to that point) It's plausable that these types of moral code developed sometime during the Neolithic Revolution (10,000–5,000 BC, which saw the invention and development of perminantly settled agriculture and the later development of civilisation as a result of agriculture and which started in the area of Mesopotamia, of which Babylon was a part of) as a reaction to civilisation.

Put it this way, it makes sense that the massive change that civilisation brought to previously seperate nomadic bands of hunter/gatherers would also bring with it new rules on morality, which would seem to be crucial to a civilised society of lots of people all living in much closer quarters to each other than ever before.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 02-12-2013 at 08:08 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #63
TooktheAtrain
Banned
 
TooktheAtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I blame evolution.

In order to survive as a species, we had to have some sort of ability to be "evil" and violent. That trait still exists today and, obviously, it isn't going to go away any time soon.


It's the other way round, imo. We needed to develop morality to form organised societies. 'Evil' usually refers to a lack of morality, not something in its own right.

Psychopaths, for example, are often regarded as evil. However that's an inappropriate term because they are incapable of moral understanding and thus can not be moral agents.
Psychopaths are not evil as such, they are not necessarily predisposed to acts we might call 'evil', they are just not inhibited by empathy and a strong sense of morality. This often leads them to act in self-interest to the detriment of others.

TL;DR Morality is not the default state, what may be termed 'evil' is.

Last edited by TooktheAtrain : 02-12-2013 at 07:58 AM.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #64
Tsar66
untitled
 
Tsar66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
i was hoping you'd say "class struggle"


i can't believe i didn't think of that
it's actually the bourgeoisie's fault tbh
__________________
tumblr.
Last.fm
Tsar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #65
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square
 
NeutralFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Moral High Ground, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY-RiLeY
never heard the expression " destruction is the greatest form of creation"?

its not too see what it looks like, its to see the consequences that it creates.

I see what you mean, but I'm not sure I agree. Surely a better reason for humanity to be capable of extreme cruelty is a simple social/evolutionary/socio-evolutionary/whatever-the-hell-the-term-is one? Being capable of disabling you empathy and ruthlessly killing potential rival mates or tribes ought to be as benifical to survival (if not more) as having that empathy in the first place, no?
__________________
LOOK


Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
HIBERNIAN FC
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 14/15
NeutralFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #66
mattmakaha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by neidnarb11890
If you don't know about the Rape of Nanking you are dumb/went to a shitty school, sorry for you.

.


I didn't know about the Rape of Nanking until fairly recently....

I went to a private Catholic school in Hawaii, St. Louis high school.....oh well.....
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #67
mattmakaha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I blame evolution.

In order to survive as a species, we had to have some sort of ability to be "evil" and violent. That trait still exists today and, obviously, it isn't going to go away any time soon.


Speaking of evolution, after thinking about it more, perhaps it would be better to be a crocodile which is incapable of showing compassion, it kills without batting an eye, no remorse whatsoever....

I guess those bad things that people do bother me because I care. But perhaps it is better not to care. After all, as I learned on animal planet, modern crocodiles have been basically unchanged for the last 100 million years or so and survived that long because their design is so effective. So if they can get by without any feelings or compassion, why couldn't human beings.

Maybe compassion is just excess baggage.....
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #68
devourke
Banned
 
devourke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
Speaking of evolution, after thinking about it more, perhaps it would be better to be a crocodile which is incapable of showing compassion, it kills without batting an eye, no remorse whatsoever....

I guess those bad things that people do bother me because I care. But perhaps it is better not to care. After all, as I learned on animal planet, modern crocodiles have been basically unchanged for the last 100 million years or so and survived that long because their design is so effective. So if they can get by without any feelings or compassion, why couldn't human beings.

But can crocodiles love?

</3
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #69
Djaydjay
Registered User
 
Djaydjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak411
Please, animals has no cruelty compared to humans, its all but natural survival for them. mind what you say.

human cruelty though, I have yet to understand the source. But nowadays its not from the source anymore, it is from wrong teaching.

I have seen people torture animals to death. Sure, they ate them in the end, but they spent almost an hour slowly ripping them, throwing them around and letting them bleed out.

Would you consider that cruel?



I live with two of those people: they are my cats. Is it still cruelty?

It's not so much the act that differs between animals and humans, it's how we judge them.
Djaydjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #70
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djaydjay
I have seen people torture animals to death. Sure, they ate them in the end, but they spent almost an hour slowly ripping them, throwing them around and letting them bleed out.

Would you consider that cruel?



I live with two of those people: they are my cats. Is it still cruelty?


I'd consider you to be someone who falsified the evidence when you first talked about your cats as 'people', but you are correct. We first have to consider that someone has to be intelligent enough to have a concept of right and wrong before we can define them as 'cruel'.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #71
TooktheAtrain
Banned
 
TooktheAtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
Speaking of evolution, after thinking about it more, perhaps it would be better to be a crocodile which is incapable of showing compassion, it kills without batting an eye, no remorse whatsoever....

I guess those bad things that people do bother me because I care. But perhaps it is better not to care. After all, as I learned on animal planet, modern crocodiles have been basically unchanged for the last 100 million years or so and survived that long because their design is so effective. So if they can get by without any feelings or compassion, why couldn't human beings.

Maybe compassion is just excess baggage.....



Because they don't have societies. Societies would collapse if everyone became psychopathic.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #72
mattmakaha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by devourke
But can crocodiles love?

</3


Nope

But they do cry.......NOT!!
That's why they call it crocodile tears.....
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #73
mattmakaha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I happened to come across info about this Japanese diplomat by accident, but it's a freakin amazing story. Everyone knows about Oskar Shindler who saved many Jewish people during WW2. But chances are you haven't heard about Chiune Sugihara, a japanese diplomat working in Lithuania during WW2 who saved thousands of Jews. He's been called the Japanese Schindler. It's just a mind blowing story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara

The reason why I'm posting this here, is to balance out post #1 in this thread where I talk about the horrible things Japanese soldiers did during WW2 to civilians. At the same time that was going on, this great japanese man was doing righteous things. I think it goes to show you that the beatings that the Japanese soldiers got from their officers contributed to the atrocities that they commited....

Last edited by mattmakaha : 06-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #74
metal4eva_22
UG Senior Member
 
metal4eva_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Too Far Gone
There was a movie about the horrors of Nanjing. I CBA to look it up.

But I think that cruelty is connected with some androgens, and more specifically testosterone.

Weeaboos = 0
Normal People = 1


It's all because the Jews control the media and they get people to think that they've suffered more than any other group of people.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Oh hush you.

BTW, SJW crap belongs on tumblr.

Axel is best UGer.

Last edited by metal4eva_22 : 06-22-2013 at 12:44 AM.
metal4eva_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #75
mattmakaha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
There was a movie about the horrors of Nanjing. I CBA to look it up.

But I think that cruelty is connected with some androgens, and more specifically testosterone.

Weeaboos = 0
Normal People = 1


It's all because the Jews control the media and they get people to think that they've suffered more than any other group of people.


What in the world are you talking about?
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #76
mybanez
Registered User
 
mybanez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Aus
probably bitches.
mybanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #77
Dead_Pleasures
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
You guys are complicating the **** outta this.

Some people are evil inhuman assholes. The end.
Dead_Pleasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #78
Thrashtastic15
anonymoose xD
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: feelronto ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
So my question is: what is the nature of human cruelty?

Are we naturally evil?

Is it proof that we evolved from animals?

japan

only the japanese

the japanese havent evolved yet

__________________
████ Barkov Huberdeau Ekblad ████

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
9 - 8 - 2
Thrashtastic15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #79
UntilISleep
Winter is Coming.
 
UntilISleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Waco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
the japanese havent evolved yet



Well, certainly not their genitals.
UntilISleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #80
metal4eva_22
UG Senior Member
 
metal4eva_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Too Far Gone
I found this way more cruel than all the shit we learn in History class:

GoT season 3 spoilers, maybe
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Oh hush you.

BTW, SJW crap belongs on tumblr.

Axel is best UGer.

Last edited by metal4eva_22 : 06-22-2013 at 02:47 AM.
metal4eva_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.