Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
waltb87

I have been playing by ear and tab for years, I am ready to expand

I have been playing for a long time by just solely tabs and playing by ear and figuring stuff out on my own. I am ready to expand and learn things like scales, chords (i know its pathetic) guitar notes, etc. because I feel like I am just hitting a wall at times because I am not where I am supposed to be. What is a training regimen that I could follow that starts from easiness and increases in difficulty without learning stuff that is too hard to grasp at first? And some resources that you guys have used that helped you out.

Thank you in advance.
waltb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
idflyfish

Find a good guitar instructor....one that will teach you theory and technique and not just songs.
idflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
dazzzer30

Playing by ear is a bit over rated if you ask me some people might be great at it but others not ,

Last edited by dazzzer30 : 02-13-2013 at 04:23 AM.
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer30
Playing by ear is a bit over rated if you ask me some people might be great at it but others not ,

I have no words...

TS, sounds like you're wanting to develop a bit of understanding to go with your ear and technical skills so i'll move this to MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer30

Lol yeah dude, tab is where it's at!

Seriously the ability to listen to something and play it sucks. Better off getting someone else to figure it out for you, then copy them.

TS, if you learn songs by ear, why do you not play notes that sound good? Or am I missing something here?

Learn keys, major and minor scales. Learn accidentals then you don't need any more. Except figuring out what sounds you like.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
sweetdude3000

Pick up a copy of the Guitar Fretboard Workbook. That should give you a good grounding in theory. Theory will help you make sense of what you are playing and put a new light on things you have probably already picked up intuitively.

You can compartmentalize those sounds and have an idea of how to fit those pieces together. Eventually you'll the theory just speeds up the process for the vast majority of people who don't intuitively pick up on all the sounds. Composing/improvising is just learning a language from your idols and then putting your personal touch on it. Also, dabbling in other genres is good to expand your musical vocabulary.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: