User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #121
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I don't have anything to add besides the fact that you're right, and that this reminds me of one of my favorite Poe pieces where he's all bummed that science is taking mysticism out of the world and the wonder and magic is gone. I've always liked that thought.

I wonder what Poe would've thought of "them wonderboxes" (computers)...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #122
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guodlca
I have been thinking about this, and I had the same idea as you do.

But it has been puzzling me, let's say one would have a supercomputer to know how my brain is going to react to everything. Could he really predict, whether I am going to eat the cookie that he would give to me or not, if I stood in front of him and I was aware that he is testing whether I will do it or not? Could he say, you're going to eat it, and I really would? I feel I have the power not to eat it, and vice versa.
Am I missing something?

You are missing something, because the computer would have taken into account that you know you're being tested. I'll warn you, though - Once you accept determinism, you'll feel kinda shitty for a couple of days. I know I did, at least. It's a slightly dehumanizing feeling. I mean, we still have some form of "free will," but compared to what we're inclined to think, it's more like an illusion. You just have to learn to be happy with that illusion.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #123
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
I have been thinking about this, and I had the same idea as you do.

But it has been puzzling me, let's say one would have a supercomputer to know how my brain is going to react to everything. Could he really predict, whether I am going to eat the cookie that he would give to me or not, if I stood in front of him and I was aware that he is testing whether I will do it or not? Could he say, you're going to eat it, and I really would? I feel I have the power not to eat it, and vice versa.
Am I missing something?

Assuming it does know you entirely and the situation entirely (as mentioned above, also assuming it factors in that you know it's predicting, if you do), then aye there's no real reason it couldn't predict perfectly everything you'd do.

You do still have the power to eat it or not, just the computer knows which power you will exercise. You're still as "free" as you were before, just someone is also predicting what you're doing too.

You're still acting on your own dispositions and reasoning, it doesn't take anything away from who or what you are that given all knowledge of who you are someone could predict that. They're still predicting what you are doing.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #124
ArtyArnaud
Excelsior

Randomness is a pretty supid ****ing word to call your failures lazy ape.
ArtyArnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #125
ArtyArnaud
Excelsior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I don't have anything to add besides the fact that you're right, and that this reminds me of one of my favorite Poe pieces where he's all bummed that science is taking mysticism out of the world and the wonder and magic is gone. I've always liked that thought.

name of the piece?
ArtyArnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #126
jrcsgtpeppers

I don't feel like a super computer could predict that.
jrcsgtpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #127
jrcsgtpeppers

You would have to fall backwards into the future to learn predictions because everything has already hapoened but you can't possibly know the answer without time travel. Everything is a chance, a probability.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #128
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
You would have to fall backwards into the future to learn predictions because everything has already hapoened but you can't possibly know the answer without time travel. Everything is a chance, a probability.

...wat?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #129
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadClownDisease
Assuming it does know you entirely and the situation entirely (as mentioned above, also assuming it factors in that you know it's predicting, if you do), then aye there's no real reason it couldn't predict perfectly everything you'd do.

You do still have the power to eat it or not, just the computer knows which power you will exercise. You're still as "free" as you were before, just someone is also predicting what you're doing too.

You're still acting on your own dispositions and reasoning, it doesn't take anything away from who or what you are that given all knowledge of who you are someone could predict that. They're still predicting what you are doing.

But is it possible for the computer to say the correct future out loud? If it said I'm going to eat it, I wouldn't. It's a paradox then. Doesn't that mean that at least I can't ever know for myself what I am going to do, only a supercomputer? If I was told I'm about to do something, I wouldn't do it, but the computer would still know how I would react to being told this prediction and therefore the computer can know, I can't.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #130
RedMist

Even randomness can be quantified.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictability
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #131
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
But is it possible for the computer to say the correct future out loud? If it said I'm going to eat it, I wouldn't. It's a paradox then. Doesn't that mean that at least I can't ever know for myself what I am going to do, only a supercomputer? If I was told I'm about to do something, I wouldn't do it, but the computer would still know how I would react to being told this prediction and therefore the computer can know, I can't.

Aye I see what you mean, so if it says "you will eat it" you think "well **** you, I won't do it!" and it's wrong, and vice versa if it says you won't.

I guess plausibly it could be good enough to predict your reaction to what it says you will do, but yeah you're right that wouldn't really avoid the problem. I guess the problem is the prediction will need to factor into the result, but the result would change the prediction.

That doesn't really change the problem of free will or determinism though, I guess. It merely says expressing predictions can be self-defeating. It could still accurately predict what you'd do, it just possibly couldn't tell you truthfully what it is.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #132
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Aye I see what you mean, so if it says "you will eat it" you think "well **** you, I won't do it!" and it's wrong, and vice versa if it says you won't.

I guess plausibly it could be good enough to predict your reaction to what it says you will do, but yeah you're right that wouldn't really avoid the problem. I guess the problem is the prediction will need to factor into the result, but the result would change the prediction.

That doesn't really change the problem of free will or determinism though, I guess. It merely says expressing predictions can be self-defeating. It could still accurately predict what you'd do, it just possibly couldn't tell you truthfully what it is.

What about weather then? If I, as a living human being am, in fact, only a very complex unit of organic matter with only an illusion of free will, when actually my deeds can be predicted, could we predict weather for a year on?
If I, not containing anything supernatural, can not hear the prediction for it to be true, why wouldn't weather react to us doing it? For example, the breath of someone saying this prediction, the wind of someone's fingers that would be created when typing that forecast on the computer...
Could the original forecast itself have predicted this breath and wind and of course the reaction of all the people on earth to that forecast? Wouldn't we, or the weather man be aware, that the slightest changes in the atmosphere can alter the weather a year on from now? The weather man being aware of this, if the analogy from the cookie is applied, wouldn't the weather man hearing the prediction cause the prediction to be actually false?

How about weather forecast for unpopulated planets? Do humans really make a difference?

Last edited by Guodlca : 02-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Guodlca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #133
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
What about weather then? If I, as a living human being am, in fact, only a very complex unit of organic matter with only an illusion of free will, when actually my deeds can be predicted, could we predict weather for a year on?
If I, not containing anything supernatural, can not hear the prediction for it to be true, why wouldn't weather react to us doing it? For example, the breath of someone saying this prediction, the wind of someone's fingers that would be created when typing that forecast on the computer...
Could the original forecast itself have predicted this breath and wind and of course the reaction of all the people on earth to that forecast? Wouldn't we, or the weather man be aware, that the slightest changes in the atmosphere can alter the weather a year on from now? The weather man being aware of this, if the analogy from the cookie is applied, wouldn't the weather man hearing the prediction cause the prediction to be actually false?

How about weather forecast for unpopulated planets? Do humans really make a difference?

The act of making a prediction can the results, but it needn't always been in the same way as the example of telling someone what they're going to do.

The act of predicting, assuming it causally affects the outcome (which as you say, is pretty much certain in that the effects of our actions can be a lot wider ranging that we might think), can still be included within the prediction. Even in predicting making a decision, a supercomputer might know that telling you you will meet someone might actually case you to meet them. It needn't always contradict its truth to give a prediction, just it sometimes can do.

The act of predicting can either be insignificant enough causally (due to distance or simply being very minor) to not affect the prediction, or could actually bring about the prediction. Of course, to say it is in principle predictable doesn't mean anyone or anything in practice ever could collect all the data and know the laws well enough to do it, especially on a global scale, or that they would have to actually perform the action of making that prediction for it to be true.

In any case, the most important fact really is that in principle if all facts about your personality and a particular situation were known, it could in principle be known exactly what you'd do.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #134
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

Quote:
In any case, the most important fact really is that in principle if all facts about your personality and a particular situation were known, it could in principle be known exactly what you'd do.
Yeah, I guess this has to be taken more theoretically than trying to apply it to an actual example.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #135
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

randomness doesn't exist
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #136
jrcsgtpeppers

Quote:
...wat?

The future has already happened. But a near infinite amount of futures exist in parallel worlds. The future is actually being projected backwards towards the past. We just experience it the way we do. You would have to travel into the past ie the future to predict the past future. There's no way of knowing exactly. Quantum says its only a possibility.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #137
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

I don't really believe in random.. I believe it's just a matter of perspective, but what appears "random" is really such a complex order that we can't perceive its order. Of course you could also say that everything is chaos, and what appears to have order is just an illusion. I also believe fate and free will exist simultaneously, in a paradoxical way.

Last edited by MrDo0m : 02-13-2013 at 06:21 PM.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #138
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
The future has already happened. But a near infinite amount of futures exist in parallel worlds. The future is actually being projected backwards towards the past. We just experience it the way we do. You would have to travel into the past ie the future to predict the past future. There's no way of knowing exactly. Quantum says its only a possibility.

...wat?

I'm sure you have some kind of reason for thinking this, but I can barely understand what you mean, let alone why you'd think it.

Rate This Thread: