Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
CarlFromCanada

My SR505

This is my Ibanez SR505. By far the best bass I have ever owned, or played, but that's not saying a lot since I haven't played very many basses. I'm always afraid to try out the expensive ones at music shops in case I break or dent them... Anyway, here she is.

Whole bass

Headstock

Body

Backside

5 piece Jatoba/Bubinga neck

Closeup of the strings and bridge

Thickness comparison, that is a Canadian quarter on what seems to be the thickest part of the bass.

All in all, I am very impressed with this bass. Sounds great, looks fantastic, the EQ and pickups are simple to use, yet make killer sounds.
CarlFromCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
saberrocks
SaberMaidenfan

Looking good The SR-series are great basses in my opinion, I own 3 of them and I won't touch anything else. I recently got the new SR370 in Sapphire Blue (4 strings) and I have yet to hear a bass with such clarity and balanced tone.

A few months ago I sold my SR2010 Limited Edition 6 string bass, which cost about 1100 bucks. Great sounds due to the white Ash body and Jatoba/Bubinga neck, but nearly impossible to play due to my short fingers

In short, I love them
saberrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
RyanStorm13

I have a 1998 Ibanez SR 400. This is a monster with diamond skin. I am fourth owner, and most to put miles on it, but it is still in awesome condition, even though it took a massive cleaning and tune up when I got it, to give her that new car smell.

Anything above the SR 400 is professional in my opinion. Mine is sufficient for hobbyist, and I got mine for $100 when she was 11 or 12(Homie Discount). These are almost identical in configuration, the knobs are all in the same spot. I have the Jazz bass type pickups, but the only thing I wish I had was your bridge.

Pretty much if mine was brand new, it would roughly be yours minus 1 string...Point is, that baby will last you 15 years if you keep it! Expect its price to go down sometime after 10 years(mine was the 1,794 made in July, so there not rare). I suggest keeping it forever!

I plan to upgrade soon, might settle on that SR 505. 5 string is just "mandatory" to me, whether its jazz or metal! I just got this cause my friend had it in a storage unit, and told him that it wasn't right to do that, so I gave her a new home and actual attention.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

SR406 owner here. Love that bass. Love these basses.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I have a Soundgear of some description too. Still no idea which model it is. Maybe I should contact Ibanez and ask. I love it whatever it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
CarlFromCanada

Do you have pics, or a serial number? Serials are on the back of the headstock.
CarlFromCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
dkunick
Waco

Great bass, I have one and love it!
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I have a serial number but when I look it up all it gives me is a year and a country. I have pictures on my profile though if anyone wants to see it.

Quote:
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
RyanStorm13

Dude Check this out:

C8071794

C = Cort Factory, Korea

8 = 1998

07 = July

1794 = 1,794th of this Model made in July

Last edited by RyanStorm13 : 02-11-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Yeah, that's what I got. No model number though which is what I was curious about. Thanks anyway though.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #11
RyanStorm13

If you give me a picture, I could tell you. I am not an expert, but I learned a lot about Ibanez when helping my friend name all his ibanez collection, which is where I got mine, cause he had mine in his storage unit.

The pickups and knobs can help me narrow it down, especially if you told me which year and even more if you said which Factory. But finding actual models is really tough cause the lower line is not much different than their top line.

I mean this SR 400 I have, feels amazing and with the SR 400 scratched off, I could believe it was a SR 500+, but the pain gives it away of not being top model. For being non-american made guitars they are hands down the best company not based in America that makes electric Basses and Guitars. Even my $150 Ibanez acoustic/electric plays like a thousand bucks.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #12
RyanStorm13

See how his bass has that Stained type finish, where you can see the wood grains. This is common ground for more expensive guitars.

The paint/stain/laquer finish is the tall tale sign, to know what your working with.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...r=2013&cat_id=2

Look at this page, and see which bass matches up closest to yours as far as the body paint. I am assuming you have a SR style, being its the main line.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I have some pictures here. The finish has a slight sparkle to it and I think is called white pearl or pearl white. On that page it's the finish shown in the images of the SR300M and SR305M. The neck looks like an SR neck with the angled bottom, the body is the same shape but I'm told is more like a GSR because the pickups look passive. Two jazz pickups, three controls, four strings, regular SDGR headstock with a matching finish. And then the rest of what I know is what the serial number bought up and that it was once taken on tour as a backup bass across Europe with an ex member of Iron Maiden. No idea which one.

I know what you mean about them feeling so much more expensive, especially since this one cost me 60 including a hard case and a set of new Rotosound strings. It's easily the most comfortable bass I own. I'll be buying another one at some point to go with it, maybe a slightly higher end model and probably in Lavender Burst if I can find one. I love that finish.

Quote:

Last edited by GAPendragon : 02-13-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

It really looks like a GSR180 body with a SR300 neck. Maybe custom paint? Or a japan only color scheme?
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Maybe. I wondered if it might be a custom shop thing at one point.

I've emailed the UK Ibanez distributor to see if they can point me in the right direction, but no reply yet.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
RyanStorm13

This will be easy...just tell me the year and I can easily find it in their archive catalogs.

You could easily find it with:

Year

USA or EURO purchased(I wouldn't doubt it being EURO Catalog.)

Pictures in that years catalog will match up with what you have. I could do it with just pictures.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/

Last edited by RyanStorm13 : 02-13-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
RyanStorm13

If I am not mistaken, I think all SDGR's have the SDGR on the front, and I can't believe it doesn't have its model name behind the headstock. GSR is a lesser than model, I think it is seen on 300 or below.

If your bass was used by someone like Iron Maiden, that adds a lot of luxury cost to it, especially if you have notorized papers. Iron Maiden is one of those mega bands, so even a lesser known ex-bass player would still be worth while to people, even if it were just a back up also, but it wouldn't get as much as a onstage guitar. However, isn't Steve Harris the only bass player for Iron Maiden ever??

Also, I thought that your pickups were preciscion bass pickups?? Jazz Pickups usually have one straight one, and a double half's one. This might be the only thing I am not 100% sure on. Once you tell me its year, I will tell you exactly what it is.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I don't know if the guy from Iron Maiden played it or not. I think he was just singing on the tour. Since I don't know which ex-member it was I don't know if he was a bassist or not. The previous owner of the Ibanez played bass for him on the tour. There aren't any papers about the link but I didn't buy it for that reason. I only found out after I'd bought it. I'm not bothered about a lack of papers though. It wasn't anywhere near overpriced and I'm not planning to sell it.

It has the serial stamped on the back of the headstock, but as far as I can remember that's it. It does have SDGR logo on the front of the headstock and just two jazz pickups. I think it was an '06 or '07, but it's been a while since I looked it up. It's in the case upstairs. I'll take a look and get the serial at some point tomorrow.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
bassdabomb27

I just got my beautiful SR605 last week in Natural Flat...lets just say I nearly cried when I first played it...so amazing sound. I almost feel i am not worthy for it at 14 but i do play a lot haha. I upgraded from a GSR200 so it was quite a step up. Pretty sure I'm going to stick with ibanez for the rest of my life haha.
bassdabomb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
jaymz9350

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanStorm13
If I am not mistaken, I think all SDGR's have the SDGR on the front, and I can't believe it doesn't have its model name behind the headstock. GSR is a lesser than model, I think it is seen on 300 or below.

My first SDGR didn't have the model either and I was never really sure what it was. I was a Japanese made 4 string with active p/j combo. Also the neck went into the body an inch or so past the 24th fret unlike my 405. Also the neck was color matched to the body.

I love these as well and will probably be the only basses I buy. I've owned 2 (sold the 4 string) and played a few others and for the price I don't think they can be beat. I did put EMG's in mine (P/J combo in humbucker cases) mostly to better match the sound my 4 string had at the time.

And that is a beautiful bass love the natural finish. If I ever grab another it will be natural as well.

Last edited by jaymz9350 : 02-14-2013 at 06:51 AM.
jaymz9350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: