Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
rejected1

Bla-bla-bla Help me getting a new guitar

Hi there,
I have 2 guitars in mind, a USA Gibson SG Platinum and a Japan Fender AV57'RI strat.

I know both are totally different guitars. I am heading out to test them, but before I do, I want to know what you guys think first. So, I want no comments about "go out and test them."
What really got me is the price of the Gibson SG, but it's only like a SG special. The Fender, well, I am a fan of strats in general.

My budget this time around is tighter so I cannot go for a USA Fender strat.
What do you guys think? Is the SG worth more than the strat?
rejected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejected1
Hi there,
I have 2 guitars in mind, a USA Gibson SG Platinum and a Japan Fender AV57'RI strat.

I know both are totally different guitars. I am heading out to test them, but before I do, I want to know what you guys think first. So, I want no comments about "go out and test them."
What really got me is the price of the Gibson SG, but it's only like a SG special. The Fender, well, I am a fan of strats in general.

My budget this time around is tighter so I cannot go for a USA Fender strat.
What do you guys think? Is the SG worth more than the strat?

than thats what you should get. the MIJ fenders are great, but they are old enough if played a lot to have bad fretwear.

i like gibson and i am not really into strats, so if it wre me i woudl buy the gibson. but again i have two Gibson SG's and like them a lot.

they are polar opposites, nothing that we can really tell you, its just a SG v, Strat type thing.

what feels best in your hands?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Adam808
I Wanna Be Sedated

You can never have too many Strats.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
rejected1

I've played not too many strats myself and tested a few SGs. I like the rounded feel of SGs but I just love the sound of overdrive+bridge of a strat. Thing is in my local area, not many guitarists have SGs. This would look great. I just wish I could grab both of them.

What are the pros and cons of a SG Platinum and an MIJ Strat?
How is the build of the USA Gibsons? Are they top notch? How are the humbuckers on the SG?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
blazing riff

I can only tell you about the SG. Overall USA gibsons are great when they use the PLECK-system on it, my LP traditional was really well setup. On the other hand, there is a luck factor involved, Some of my friend payed for a top notch gibson and it wasn't properly setup. Not that it requierd a lot of adjustments, but for such an expensive instrument you could at least expect a topnotch setup. I think strats are overall better when they come from out of the factory. For the pickups, not sure what they use: burstbuckers? If so, you'll have a really nice sound
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

What are you gonig to be using it for?

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
rejected1

To gig and practice in the room. I was previously a bassist for a band, now I am a guitarist for a band so I need a new guitar. Going to play some classic rock and heavy metal. I am always going for strats, though I know they aren't generally for classic rock bunch, and now I stumbled on the SG that I might like. So, I figured, maybe I could like this better. LP's would probably suit me better than SG's, but if I want to go down that road I will take Gibson's and not Epi, but I don't have the budget now.
The PLEK set up? I heard it's good. Yeah, but some Gibson's I've played had fretwire leveling issues. I am not very hyped about the looks on the SG platinum either. Though the Handcrafted in USA stamp is pretty tempting. I never owned a USA guitar before. I heard Gibson had some pretty bad period especially recent years. Is it true? And when did the period begun?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
The PLEK set up? I heard it's good. Yeah, but some Gibson's I've played had fretwire leveling issues.

All new Gibson's are PLEK'd now.
Quote:
I heard Gibson had some pretty bad period especially recent years. Is it true? And when did the period begun?

The period began when some teenage metalheads jumped onto the internet having just bought their new LTD/Schecter/Ibanez

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
rejected1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

The period began when some teenage metalheads jumped onto the internet having just bought their new LTD/Schecter/Ibanez

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.
The SG is a 2004 Platinum Special. Is that year PLEK'd?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Oh, thanks for clearing that up.
The SG is a 2004 Platinum Special. Is that year PLEK'd?

No. All the new Gibson's are though.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
DeadlyIllness
UG Member

Get the strat. Gibson made guitars tend to end up with broken necks.
DeadlyIllness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
kindadumb

That's mostly the Les Pauls, because the bodies are about 50% heavier than on an SG.

I've owned a Strat copy and the real thing, and to me the SG blows it out of the water. It's comfortably light but not at all flimsy, the bevel is adds more comfort; with the set neck + double cutaway meeting the neck at about the 20th fret, you aren't going to find another guitar that's more comfortable for upper fret play, IMO.

Especially if you already have a Strat, get the SG to complement it. You can go all the way from The Doors to The Who to New Order to AC/DC with that thing.
kindadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
JAHellraiser

Go try them out. Both the Sg and possible Les Paul will cover the rock and metal, and the strat will at least cover the rock, possibly metal depending on pickups and amp. but the main thing is how they feel to you.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

if i sigged comments, that would totally be it.

OP- i really think you should get the strat. several times you have said how much you like certain features/shape, etc. all that you are doing with the SG is questioning it. not that its wrong to question, but i think you kind of have you mind made up already.

go play them. thats really all i say. see what you like better.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
rejected1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
if i sigged comments, that would totally be it.

OP- i really think you should get the strat. several times you have said how much you like certain features/shape, etc. all that you are doing with the SG is questioning it. not that its wrong to question, but i think you kind of have you mind made up already.

go play them. thats really all i say. see what you like better.

Are you a mind reader or something? Yeah, I really like strat feel but the SG is an SG. Haha.

Another question, how does a Japanese Fender compare to a USA made Gibson, build-wise, quality control-wise, and everything else?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Are you a mind reader or something? Yeah, I really like strat feel but the SG is an SG. Haha.

Another question, how does a Japanese Fender compare to a USA made Gibson, build-wise, quality control-wise, and everything else?

its not really a fair question on any front. some MIJ strats are very nice guitars, i am sure they are prettly on par with MIA strats, but there are too many variables.

the best MIJ strat is definitely better than the worst MIA, vice versa.

i have gone though probably 10 strats mostly MIM' but a few MIA's, i sold my last MIA a few years ago in favor for this seemingly magical 1995 MIM maple on olympic white goddess. its a MIM, but it is the best strat i have owned. but i have never played another MIM strat like the one i own. but i am sure that a large majority of MIA's are significantly better than MIM. i just had the right one fall into my hands.

gibson's are my personal choice, there was a two year period where cheap gibsons came with some flaws. i didn't see more than a couple and i own two from that tine, they both arrived perfect. and now have seen a lot of use. i have one 1/400 run SG (#11) white jazz that is stunning, and a faded model that i have bastardized with only two switches and an EMG 81 in both positions. its only used for metal. its a great guitar. i really like SG's in general.

there have been better years for gibson and worse. as over a time period everything really does in the world of manufacturing exists today. for example fenders were pretty shitty in the CBS period. norlin years weren't as good for gibson.

the key to it all is to just pick it up and play it. and get what you like.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #17
callumfrew97
me > you

Fender American Special Strat MN Candy Apple Red is nice and costs 674 ($1,055).. really nice sound to it and isn't as expensive as a lot of guitars of the same quality
callumfrew97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by callumfrew97
Fender American Special Strat MN Candy Apple Red is nice and costs 674 ($1,055).. really nice sound to it and isn't as expensive as a lot of guitars of the same quality

the american special (again most of them) wouldn't be as nice as a MIJ. again just from what i have touched. also i should mention i have never owned a MIJ, but i have an older friend (kind of mentor, he is in his late (60's) who is a strat wh*re, i have played some 60's strats and teles, and i have also played a handful of other vintage guitars as well as a MIJ. that is my most familiar MIJ strat.

the only sad thing with the 60's guitars from around then are fairly beaten up, but again IIRC he bought one or two of them new, and has used them his whole life and has never worked in anything outside of guitar/music world. and they have been his workhorses.

i would go MIJ over American special, but play them both.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
RyanStorm13

My personal taste, SG's and Tele's are the top two best models ever. Of course Les Paul and Strat's are more popular, I just feel the SG and Tele have the best feel and shape.

Of course I think every man needs one of each, even if they are all Squier and Epiphone.

Personally I wouldn't bother with middle range guitars. There isn't a huge difference in Mexi and Asian. The American made Fenders are way better from constructions to the pickups.

I thought the Classic Vibes or J5 Squiers are just as impressive as the Mexican made Tele's....same thing goes for Strats.

As for SG's, they are more affordable. An American SGJ isn't that much, only $600 which is affordable compared to other 2013 American Made guitars.

I would either spend $400 on a Classic Vibe, or $600 on a Gibson SGJ. Of course there is also the Epiphone LP's and and Squier Tele's which are also affordable.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
RyanStorm13

My personal taste, SG's and Tele's are the top two best models ever. Of course Les Paul and Strat's are more popular, I just feel the SG and Tele have the best feel and shape.

Of course I think every man needs one of each, even if they are all Squier and Epiphone.

Personally I wouldn't bother with middle range guitars. There isn't a huge difference in Mexi and Asian. The American made Fenders are way better from constructions to the pickups.

I thought the Classic Vibes or J5 Squiers are just as impressive as the Mexican made Tele's....same thing goes for Strats.

As for SG's, they are more affordable. An American SGJ isn't that much, only $600 which is affordable compared to other 2013 American Made guitars.

I would either spend $400 on a Classic Vibe, or $600 on a Gibson SGJ. Of course there is also the Epiphone LP's and and Squier Tele's which are also affordable.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: