Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #21
rejected1

Thanks for all the great input. trashedlostfdup, how many strats and SGs you have now? Yeah I've played some nice MIMs but maybe nothing close to your magical MIM.

Another question for my research before I head out to test, how does the SG Special different from the SG Standard aside from the binding, the inlays and pickup covers? Is there a difference in neck profile or hardware that affects playability?

Also, is the neck dive a problem when playing the guitar standing?

Yeah, I got lots of questions on SGs, cause I've never owned one unlike a strat. :P
rejected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
desperatechris
Banned

Get the strat. The Sg platinum is just ugly
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #23
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejected1
Thanks for all the great input. trashedlostfdup, how many strats and SGs you have now? Yeah I've played some nice MIMs but maybe nothing close to your magical MIM.

Another question for my research before I head out to test, how does the SG Special different from the SG Standard aside from the binding, the inlays and pickup covers? Is there a difference in neck profile or hardware that affects playability?

Also, is the neck dive a problem when playing the guitar standing?

Yeah, I got lots of questions on SGs, cause I've never owned one unlike a strat. :P

one strat, two SG's.

finish is the biggest factor, for me (i actually like it) you can feel the grain everywhere, its smooth, but isn't glassy. bling is probably the biggest factor after finish. you may get one piece less of wood on the body, but i am not sure on that. and keep in mind things do change year to year. the tributes have been very popular and i thought they were pretty nice. IIRC most of the tributes have P-90's, but this one looks rather sharp (i haven't ever seen one of these in a shop, i just found it a minute ago going through MF's site. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar .

neck profiles are always different on gibsons, thats why typically you want to try it first. neck profile is more of a preference. the standard may come with better tuners, but i don't remember. either way, the cheaper ones are fine for the most part. the problem that gibson had were poorly cut nuts, but IIRC all nuts are Plek'd now (kind of like CNC type thing), so that is one nicer thing that are on newer gibsons (maybe just 2012 and after, but if its a big deal you can find it), and even if they have a bad nut, you can go to a luthier and get a bone nut cut for $25 (blank nut included from a guy i was recommended to)

neither of my SG"s have balance issues, but i am sure some do.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: