Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
HT Dual vs HT Metal vs DistX ??

Hi there!

Has anybody compared these three pedals at the same time? If so, can you pls answer a few qs I have?

- does the HT Metal have less/more gain than the DistX or are they similar?

- if they are similar, do they have far more gain, than the HT Dual, or are they close?

- how can the Dist X and the HT Metal handle less distortion/crunchy tones? are they just grinding metal from hell, or is there any versatility to them, mainly to the HT Metal?

And of course I appeciate any other comments regarding these three pedals.

Thanx in advance!
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
 
leigh596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland.
Im sure i remember hearing that the blackstar dist/metal pedals had too much gain on tap, id look into their od's
__________________
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
Ģ300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh596
Im sure i remember hearing that the blackstar dist/metal pedals had too much gain on tap, id look into their od's


too much? you mean not able to do anything other than hi-gain? not even the ht dual?
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
 
bburritt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Garland, Texas
The Metal has more bite to it. The Dist X has more hair on it but its a bit on the nasal side. The dual is more towards rock or heavy blues not a super saturated. All three are awesome but it depends on the sound your going for.
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburritt1
The Metal has more bite to it. The Dist X has more hair on it but its a bit on the nasal side. The dual is more towards rock or heavy blues not a super saturated. All three are awesome but it depends on the sound your going for.


Iīm looking for the most versatile of these.... probably I drop the DistX then, I dont like nasal sounds. So of the remaining two, which one is more versatile, from bluesy crunch to hi-gain: the dual, or the metal? Or one more issue: since itīs a tube thing, do you think you can boost the Dual with a tube screamer in front of it?
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
 
bburritt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Garland, Texas
Eh if i had to pick I would Try the Dual for sure. The Metal just has just stupid amounts of gain. It would work if you roll the volume but not everyone likes doing that these days. So try the dual. Thats my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Yeah a tubescreamer would help a bit. Just volume though. No gain.

Last edited by bburritt1 : 02-12-2013 at 03:17 PM.
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburritt1
Eh if i had to pick I would Try the Dual for sure. The Metal just has just stupid amounts of gain. It would work if you roll the volume but not everyone likes doing that these days. So try the dual. Thats my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Yeah a tubescreamer would help a bit. Just volume though. No gain.


Well, exactly thatīs what I meant with the screamer - classical setting with zero gain, 12-o-clock tone and dimed level.... And youīre exactly right - I donīt enjoy tweaking the pots on my guitar while playing....

So thanx for your view!
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
 
bburritt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Garland, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
Well, exactly thatīs what I meant with the screamer - classical setting with zero gain, 12-o-clock tone and dimed level.... And youīre exactly right - I donīt enjoy tweaking the pots on my guitar while playing....

So thanx for your view!

Glad i was able to help man. Thats how Ive had my screamer since day one and it just cant be beat. Now which TS is better im sure thats another thread

And there are only so many guitar players nowadays that actually use the volume as a channel selector between gain and clean. I just dont have the patience.
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburritt1
Glad i was able to help man. Thats how Ive had my screamer since day one and it just cant be beat. Now which TS is better im sure thats another thread

And there are only so many guitar players nowadays that actually use the volume as a channel selector between gain and clean. I just dont have the patience.


Well, I have the "best-TS-in-universe" issue already solved. Iīm about to do it the other way round: not searching for the best TS for an amp, but looking for the best pre-amp for the existing TS: Iīm buying the Ibanez TSA 15 combo and it has the the TS-9 circuits built-in, as far as I know. The tube distortion (tube-preamp) would go into the fx loop, i.e. after the built-in screamer and before the power-amp section of the combo. So my first pedal of choice right now would be the HT Dual, hopefully gainy enough, with the help of the on-board TS of that combo....
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
 
MrFlibble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
I've tried the Metal and DISTX next to each other; I've tried the Dual as well, but not alongside the other two and with a different amp and guitar, so I can't really compare that one as well.

Of the DISTX and Metal, the DISTX is the one to go for, always. They were damn well identical to me except the gain and mid knobs on the Metal had less range; anything the Metal can do the DISTX can do too, and more.

As for the Dual, it can do metal-style gain easily enough, but obviously you have to crank the gain higher to get there, which leaves you more limited. As far as high-gain tones go, it's a fairly even trade. The Dual gives you flexibility with the two modes but you're not going to get as much out of the controls, while the DISTX gives you more range within the controls but you've only got the one sound to work with.

Lower-gain tones on the Metal sounded very slightly closer to an American voicing (think Fender) while the same on the DISTX were slightly more in the ballpark of the modded/hot-rodded Marshall vibe (think JCM900). The Dual has more of a JCM800 vibe to its lower-gain sounds, with just a tiny touch of the restrained mids of an American-voiced amp.

My advice to anyone woudl be to forget the Metal. It's not the worst 'metal distortion', but it's far from the best and there's nothing it does which the DISTX doesn't also do, while there are things the DISTX can give you that the Metal never will. As for the DISTX against the Dual, it really depends if you're just looking for a hefty distorted tone to go with your amp's own tones or if you're looking at this as more or less a replacement for your amp's own sound.
__________________
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
I've tried the Metal and DISTX next to each other; I've tried the Dual as well, but not alongside the other two and with a different amp and guitar, so I can't really compare that one as well.

Of the DISTX and Metal, the DISTX is the one to go for, always. They were damn well identical to me except the gain and mid knobs on the Metal had less range; anything the Metal can do the DISTX can do too, and more.

As for the Dual, it can do metal-style gain easily enough, but obviously you have to crank the gain higher to get there, which leaves you more limited. As far as high-gain tones go, it's a fairly even trade. The Dual gives you flexibility with the two modes but you're not going to get as much out of the controls, while the DISTX gives you more range within the controls but you've only got the one sound to work with.

Lower-gain tones on the Metal sounded very slightly closer to an American voicing (think Fender) while the same on the DISTX were slightly more in the ballpark of the modded/hot-rodded Marshall vibe (think JCM900). The Dual has more of a JCM800 vibe to its lower-gain sounds, with just a tiny touch of the restrained mids of an American-voiced amp.

My advice to anyone woudl be to forget the Metal. It's not the worst 'metal distortion', but it's far from the best and there's nothing it does which the DISTX doesn't also do, while there are things the DISTX can give you that the Metal never will. As for the DISTX against the Dual, it really depends if you're just looking for a hefty distorted tone to go with your amp's own tones or if you're looking at this as more or less a replacement for your amp's own sound.


Wow, great insight, thanx, man!
This makes the Dual my main pedal candidate, as my main amp candidate is more-less only a single channel one, so thereīs not much different amp-distortion range to combine the pedal with....
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
Stijnson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I hate to confuse the TS, but I've been looking into some higher-gain pedals lately too. Including the Blackstars, but I then saw the Wampler and Bogner pedals. They both sound great, and especially the Bogner Red seems to be extremely versatile and in your gain range!
Unless you're set on the Blackstars..

Stijnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijnson
I hate to confuse the TS, but I've been looking into some higher-gain pedals lately too. Including the Blackstars, but I then saw the Wampler and Bogner pedals. They both sound great, and especially the Bogner Red seems to be extremely versatile and in your gain range!
Unless you're set on the Blackstars..



....well, Iīm not set.... but fact is, that itīs not easy to get the less "commercial" and more "serious" gear here where I am.... You can order stuff online, of course, but not much chance to try out some of the brands before that.... Blackstars on the other hand are all over the place, so relatively easy to get your "play before pay"... I managed to pre-order two of the three above mentioned HT pedals for direct comparison in a nearby (well, about 80 miles.... ) music shop - Iīm going to do it tomorrow. And in combination with advice I already got here on the forum, I believe I will choose my gear.

So thanx again, to everybody!
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #14
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
OK, so finally went out to spend some cash.

I tried out the Dual and the Metal, in direct comparison. And chose the Dual. You were right folks, sounds quite similar to an angry 800 on lower gain and still has gain reserves. And can be nicely pushed by the onboard TS of that Ibanez combo, that I bought too...

And also correct: the Metal has just stupid loads of gain, without being able to produce nice crunchy/bluesy tones. Sounds cool as a hi-gain thing, but thatīs about it, no more, no versatility.

However, I will need a noise gate pretty soon for the TSA15 + HT Dual combination in hi-gain setting.... But this is no bad surprise, I expected it.
I will look for other threads on that topic too, but could you give me a hint which noise gate could work well with the above mentioned combination here?
What about, say, the Boss noise supressor? Itīs OK pricewise, but is it up to the job?

Thanx again!

Last edited by Airfish : 02-15-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
 
MrFlibble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
I used to use the Boss NS-2 and the ISP Decimator together (NS-2 before the amp, Decimator in the loop) to completely kill any hum. I've found that one by itself wouldn't do a good enough job unless I really cranked the threshold up, at which point it would murder the sustain and quieter notes. The Decimator really was far too severe with its cut off, though; if I was buying that rig all over again now I would get two NS-2s instead.

Just bear in mind that even the NS-2, with its loop, can only quieten noise in two places. If you're really cranking the gain and adding in boosts then you may find you need something after the guitar, after your pedals and in the amps loop, as I did. So, I'm a fan of the NS-2 and I'd suggest you give it a shot, but be prepared to still have a little hum unless you can either add in a second noise pedal or back the gain down a bit.
__________________
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovakia, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
I used to use the Boss NS-2 and the ISP Decimator together (NS-2 before the amp, Decimator in the loop) to completely kill any hum. I've found that one by itself wouldn't do a good enough job unless I really cranked the threshold up, at which point it would murder the sustain and quieter notes. The Decimator really was far too severe with its cut off, though; if I was buying that rig all over again now I would get two NS-2s instead.

Just bear in mind that even the NS-2, with its loop, can only quieten noise in two places. If you're really cranking the gain and adding in boosts then you may find you need something after the guitar, after your pedals and in the amps loop, as I did. So, I'm a fan of the NS-2 and I'd suggest you give it a shot, but be prepared to still have a little hum unless you can either add in a second noise pedal or back the gain down a bit.


Thanx a lot, man. Then it looks like one NS-2 should do the job for me, because I donīt mind hum and noise, if thereīs not much of it. On lower gain settings I dontīt even plan to use a supressor, because that kind of noise "goes naturally with tube sound" for me and I really donīt mind it. So if the NS2 can get me with hi-gain settings to where I am now without it at low-gain sound, then that should be enough. Iīll definitely start with just one NS2 and see what happens.

Last edited by Airfish : 02-15-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.