Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
cjb2293

Slap Technique

Have you guys played around with the slap-style of guitar playing? Its been something I have been getting into with my solo project a lot. Really inspired by guys like Andy Mckee and Antoine Dufour.

What are some of the ways that you find you get the best percussive sounds off of your acoustic guitar?

You can also check out my solo project in my signature if you like.

Endorsements/Sponsorships
Cactus Picks
Curt Mangan Strings
cjb2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
RyanStorm13

I don't do a slap method, but I do find that tapping my strings for advanced songs fun! People do slap motions on the bottom frets that might look like a bass slap, then again you can hit the strings however you like even if your not tapping a fret. Whether you knuckle punch it, or thumb slap it, I don't know if there is a real method to any of it.

I certainly don't slap the strings like I do bass, and I don't slap the guitar like a drum(a snare is just fine for me). Of course you can, there is lots of different things you can do, but I don't find it "traditional" or "classic". The one thing that I do notice about people who do this kind of thing, they all make the same kind of music, like elevator music or something you listen to while you wait for customer service on the phone....

If I were to do something like that, I would just get a lap steel guitar, and get some buddies to play a couple of bongos.

I mean any master of tapping, sliding and harmonics can do that with out all the theatrics of "drum" tapping.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
Shor

Check out Tosin Abasi. He does a fair bit of slapping, and there are quite a lot of videos of him doing so on youtube, and I am sure there are a few of him explaining his technique as well.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: