Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
guitarbeero

Asperger, alone guitarist what can i do?

Im pretty good at guitar as ive been playing for years. Spent most my life locked in my room due to social issues which is most likely aspergers.

Anyway I could never play with other people or join a band because tbh i get fatigued/stressed etc around others and just want to do my own thing, hence i played guitar a lot.

But now i am good at the guitar what is the point?

If i sit in my room and play guitar for another 30 years by time im 60 or so ill be best guitarist ever lol.

What I want to know is what can i do with guitar that is productive or even playing bars etc but does not involve others, but thing is I also prefer just playing lead and definatley not singing.

I guess id just be like jimmy hendrix lol and turn up at some wedding and fill in as lead guitarist etc haha unlikely.

Just looking for some ideas really

cheers
guitarbeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

You could use technology to your advantage and incorporate them into your music / live performance. That way you don't need a band.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

The only choice you've created for yourself is to become a solo guitarist.

I was not aware that shyness was part of aspergers, but that's otherwise irrelevant, you don't want to play with other people.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
guitarbeero

yeh i make electronic music also so thats cool.

But yeh thats right i guess shyness or not i think i just dont want to play with others i like to do things myself..

but what can a solo guitarist do especially if im not a singer songwrtier type guy that can do acoustic in a bar and sing some songs etc...if i just like to rock out what can i do with that, only play in my room.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
chronowarp

Here's my idea:

Stop being socially inept, because you aren't going to pave the way for any real opportunities if you don't learn how to network and work with other people.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbeero
if i just like to rock out what can i do with that, only play in my room.

you answered your own question.

a large part of being a talented musician is being multi-faceted, even if you only play one instrument.

another equally large part is networking and socializing.

you're taking out both parts to a major (if not complete) degree.

food for thought.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

i used to play with a guy diagnosed with asperger's.

excellent guitar player. but it sounds like a similar situation. i would follow xiaoxi's advice. maybe try recording some of your own stuff where you play all the instruments. if you can't play drums, program them.

i'm sure you're an incredibly talented, creative dude. don't feel like you have to be boxed in. now more than ever with technology you'll be able to do it yourself. or maybe even collaborate with people over the internet sending tracks around for others to dub their parts onto?

the other idea is embrace solo guitar. work on chord melodies. maybe look at some of those newer dudes like andy mckee for inspiration?

maybe this?

or this

if you build up a decent rep doing solo guitar in that fashion you could get gigs easy if you were up to it.

Last edited by primusfan : 02-13-2013 at 03:47 AM.
primusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Hail
kill both bass players

i was diagnosed with assburgers and it was a load of shit

but yeah bands are overrated anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
you answered your own question.

a large part of being a talented musician is being multi-faceted, even if you only play one instrument.

another equally large part is networking and socializing.

you're taking out both parts to a major (if not complete) degree.

food for thought.

to be fair, jaco was a fucking psycho and he got by pretty well
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
cdgraves

When playing with others, it's really important to understand that they want to play their thing as much as you want to play yours. It's a give and take. Listen to what someone else plays and try to come up with something you also like that complements the other players. Playing with other people really is a skill in itself and it takes practice. Rather than thinking in terms of like/dislike, think of it as a challenge to come up with something that fits in well with whole ensemble, even if it's not the most awesome guitar part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Here's my idea:

Stop being socially inept, because you aren't going to pave the way for any real opportunities if you don't learn how to network and work with other people.

Asperger's isn't something you "stop doing". It's a cognitive disorder essentially means you lack the ability to decipher social subtext. No amount of attempting socialization is going to change it.

You might as well be telling a blind person to take off their sunglasses if they want to see better.

Last edited by cdgraves : 02-13-2013 at 12:26 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
bondmorkret

Get a looper pedal so you can jam along to your own playing! Also get Band-in-a-box, its a piece of software that generates backing tracks based on chord schemes that you give it. Good luck
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
INSULIN

that kid from parenthood who plays a kid with aspergers looks like a young jack white
INSULIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
ArtistLion

Aren't there some ways you can deal with aspergers?
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
When playing with others, it's really important to understand that they want to play their thing as much as you want to play yours. It's a give and take. Listen to what someone else plays and try to come up with something you also like that complements the other players. Playing with other people really is a skill in itself and it takes practice. Rather than thinking in terms of like/dislike, think of it as a challenge to come up with something that fits in well with whole ensemble, even if it's not the most awesome guitar part.

Asperger's isn't something you "stop doing". It's a cognitive disorder essentially means you lack the ability to decipher social subtext. No amount of attempting socialization is going to change it.

You might as well be telling a blind person to take off their sunglasses if they want to see better.

Asperger's also isn't something you flippantly self diagnose yourself with. If you can objectively understand that you have social issues, then it's probably just YOU. Work on YOU if you want to succeed.

And even if he has Aspergers (which he probably doesn't) that in no way stops him from musically collaborating with other people. I know multiple people with aspergers that regularly socialize and have a close group of friends, and one even plays in a band! Being oblivious to social cues and norms doesn't mean that can't interact with people.

Last edited by chronowarp : 02-13-2013 at 03:31 PM.
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Asperger's also isn't something you flippantly self diagnose yourself with. If you can objectively understand that you have social issues, then it's probably just YOU. Work on YOU if you want to succeed.

And even if he has Aspergers (which he probably doesn't) that in no way stops him from musically collaborating with other people. I know multiple people with aspergers that regularly socialize and have a close group of friends, and one even plays in a band! Being oblivious to social cues and norms doesn't mean that can't interact with people.

:nod:
Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome a few years back. To be honest, I have never noticed any kind of social deficits ever until I was about 18-19 years old; I had a really brutal adolescence and it really changed the way I interact with other people, so I just consider it part of how I grew up. I don't trust anyone until I have known them for more than a year without any problems and I hate the idea of cliques. I consider this a good thing. Although I have to admit I really suck at dealing with people I don't know.

To be honest, your issue sounds more like a lack of confidence to me than Asperger's syndrome; people can sense this from a mile away. No offense, but that's what I have gathered from your opening post.

If you're doing something interesting, people will notice. The thing is, you have to act naturally and not overplay/underplay it. You have to remember that people are naturally quite insecure; you need to soften the blow sometimes if you have a significant skill they don't have. At the same time, it offends people if they find something interesting about what you're doing and you dismiss it like nothing. People like to feel that they are part of something- this is a large part of what music is to people.

Just act naturally and you'll get the best of both worlds. Be sure of both what you know and don't know, and you should find that you have no real reason to be shy in many situations. If people like what you're doing, just keep doing that and maybe even take their advice on how to make it better. If they don't like what you're doing, try to find out why. Unless they're just being mean- in that case you're better off without them anyway. You don't have to think really hard about how to interact with people- just be yourself and you'll end up around decent people.

Also, don't tell people you have been diagnosed with 'the syndrome'. People tend to get really insecure and nasty about things like that- especially posers.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure a much higher percentage of musicians have Asperger's syndrome than the general population. It's just the sort of thing they seem to do. Hell, my own brother has it and he was the one who originally got me interested in guitar.

EDIT2: Come to think of it, I have heard solo acts and instrumentals in general are getting way more popular nowadays. I don't really know why, but I suspect these games like Guitar Hero have a lot to do with it.

Last edited by JimDawson : 02-13-2013 at 04:31 PM.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
cdgraves

Quote:

excuse my sensitivity. I've worked with people with disabilities and known people with Asperger's, and have this terrible habit of treating them with kindness. And being aware of one's poor social skills doesn't preclude a diagnosis; I imagine the recognition only makes the inability more frustrating to deal with.

Who knows if the TS actually has Aspergers, all I know is nothing is gained by being coarse and aggressive with someone who is looking for help.

Last edited by cdgraves : 02-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves

Who knows if the TS actually has Aspergers, all I know is nothing is gained by being coarse and aggressive with someone who is looking for help.

false
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
guitarbeero

Well thanks for all advice so far sorry for making arguments about aspergers lol, just presume for the sake of arguments TS does have aspergers and then apply situation in general.

'what can a good guitarist with aspergers do with his skill''

or even if you feel aspergers is unlikely like

''what can a guitarist who is extremely introverted or dislikes working with people do with his skill''

IMO aspergers is positive. I wont go into my mental health history here as this is not the point of the thread.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
food1010
Bassist

TS, have you ever tried playing music with other people?

As a fairly introverted person myself, I find I have very little issue relating to people on a musical level. In fact, I think the type of people that are the best bandmates are the ones who aren't very outspoken. Musical communication is a completely different type of intelligence than verbal communication.

Being in a band IS a social group in a way, but it's less about socializing than it is about making music. You know how to make music, so what's stopping you from making music with other people?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i was diagnosed with assburgers and it was a load of shit

I C wat u did thur

TS, play the guitar for whatever reason you want. If you want to move past a certain point than that is going to involve leaving your bedroom and taking your guitar with you. If you're uncomfortable with that then there isn't anything else that can happen.

Last edited by macashmack : 02-14-2013 at 12:12 AM.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: