User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
adel.light94

Question Thrash riffs !!

Helllo !!

i just wanna know some examples to practice that let's me be able to play fast thrash metal riffs with palm muting like Master of puppets , domination ( pantera ) and within destruction ( as i lay dying ) ... etc
adel.light94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
cgmetallica1981
BOBROVSKY

Well first off Metallica isn't a good example to learn palm-muting (or "fast" thrash riffs, Master doesn't even have alternate picking)... and As I Lay Dying isn't thrash... not even a little bit.

I suggest learning some of the songs like Born in a Casket or A Skull Full of Maggots from Cannibal Corpse's debut album. Another user suggested it a long time ago and it has helped.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
adel.light94

Thanks dude !! but as i lay dying - within destruction sounds so thrashy =D
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
northdeathstyle

If you wanna get good alt picking thrash practice, work on Megadeth songs. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due taught my picking hand, She Wolf is fantastic for picking practice, Wake Up Dead, Mechanix those kinda songs. Also look into learning early Testament riffs too, those will help alot (at least they did for me).
northdeathstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
RetroGunslinger

exodus is good too, and slayer, especially slayer, basically all the big thrash bands except metallica
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
RetroGunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
maowcat
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmetallica1981
Well first off Metallica isn't a good example to learn palm-muting (or "fast" thrash riffs, Master doesn't even have alternate picking)... and As I Lay Dying isn't thrash... not even a little bit.

I suggest learning some of the songs like Born in a Casket or A Skull Full of Maggots from Cannibal Corpse's debut album. Another user suggested it a long time ago and it has helped.

He's asking about thrash and you suggest cannibal corpse? I suggest any megadeth, or metallica's first two albums, hit the lights, holy wars, take no prisoners (especially this one).
maowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adel.light94
Helllo !!

i just wanna know some examples to practice that let's me be able to play fast thrash metal riffs with palm muting like Master of puppets , domination ( pantera ) and within destruction ( as i lay dying ) ... etc

1. Listen to thrash bands you like.
2. Single out fast riff
3. Find tab for fast riff
4. Practice fast riff
5. Ignore this guy. He's probably a hipster in a black t-shirt
Quote:
... and As I Lay Dying isn't thrash... not even a little bit.

Seriously, AILD is definitely thrashy. All of their stuff is thrash with a little teeny bit of hardcore in there. They're just trendy and popular with the kids, so it's not tr00 enough for some people. Cannibal Corpse is (not particularly good) death metal. AILD is actually a lot closer to thrash than that. Plus, regardless of what he called it, TS said he wanted to learn riffs like the ones he listed. Cannibal Corpse isn't gonna be a whole lot of help.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
adel.light94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
2. Single out fast riff
4. Practice fast riff

Seriously, AILD is definitely thrashy. All of their stuff is thrash with a little teeny bit of hardcore in there. They're just trendy and popular with the kids, so it's not tr00 enough for some people. Cannibal Corpse is (not particularly good) death metal. AILD is actually a lot closer to thrash than that. Plus, regardless of what he called it, TS said he wanted to learn riffs like the ones he listed. Cannibal Corpse isn't gonna be a whole lot of help.

Thanks a lot !! i see it's more logic to play those riffs slower and making a speed-up till i reach the wanted speed ! you rock dude \m/
Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
cgmetallica1981
BOBROVSKY

Quote:
2. Single out fast riff
4. Practice fast riff

"i just wanna know some examples to practice that let's me be able to play fast thrash metal riffs with palm muting" That's what he said. He doesn't necessarily want thrash metal only riffs, he wants something that he can learn so he will be better at playing fast thrash riffs with palm-muting, so that makes your tips obsolete. The only reason I said AILD isn't thrash is because he mentioned it - and my mistake, I wasn't thinking of the same band, because the band I'm thinking of is purely metalcore... All That Remains I think.

Also the two Cannibal Corpse songs I mentioned are going to help a lot more than Master (way too slow), Domination (I can play it, the only palm-muting is on open string strumming) and Within Destruction (from what I hear, it's the same situation with Domination). Lastly as another user mentioned, Take No Prisoners is also very good for learning to palm-mute quickly.

Last edited by cgmetallica1981 : 07-21-2011 at 10:17 PM.
cgmetallica1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
Geldin

Quote:
"i just wanna know some examples to practice that let's me be able to play fast thrash metal riffs with palm muting" That's what he said. He doesn't necessarily want thrash metal only riffs, he wants something that he can learn so he will be better at playing fast thrash riffs with palm-muting, so that makes your tips obsolete. The only reason I said AILD isn't thrash is because he mentioned it - and my mistake, I wasn't thinking of the same band, because the band I'm thinking of is purely metalcore... All That Remains I think.

Also the two Cannibal Corpse songs I mentioned are going to help a lot more than Master (way too slow), Domination (I can play it, the only palm-muting is on open string strumming) and Within Destruction (from what I hear, it's the same situation with Domination). Lastly as another user mentioned, Take No Prisoners is also very good for learning to palm-mute quickly.

To get good at something, you practice it. If you want to learn how to play fast thrash riffs, you find thrash riffs you like and you practice them. If he wants to learn to play riffs similar to the ones he mentioned, then the best thing he (or anyone in any situation vaguely like this)can do is to find the bits he wants to play, isolate them, and learn to play them.

Master of Puppets has that one riff after the solo with the gallops in it. Hardly the fastest riff ever, but certainly good practice for gallops, palm muting, and down picking in one easily digestible (semi-)well known package. Open string palm muting is still palm muting, so any riff like Within Destruction or Domination is decent practice as well.

On a side note, All That Remains isn't metalcore either. There really aren't any hardcore elements to their music. They've actually got a little bit of a classical streak to their writing, but they're really just modern-day metal that gets some press in trendy magazines. You might be thinking Rise to Remain, but I'm not entirely sure that they're metalcore either (I'm not terribly familiar with their music, so I won't claim to know one way or another on their account).

Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Look into some early Megadeth, slayer, exodus, testament, annihilator, Destruction and Kreator.

Look at their riffs and pracrtice them slowly so you get a hang of em.

Suggestions.

Megadeth : Wake up dead, devils island, set the world afire, liar, hook in mouth, chosen ones, loved to deth, holy wars, take no prisoners, Rust in peace...polaris, poison was the cure, this day we fight, 1,320.

Slayer: Angel of death, piece by piece, raining blood, hell awaits, show no mercy.

Exodus : Bonded by blood, exodus, children of a worthless god, war is my shepard, shroud of urine, forward march, culling the herd.

Testament: More than meets the eye , Over the wall , blessed in contempt , nightmare . etc.

There are tons of good thrash bands with these kind of songs, just search for em look at their riffs and practice it slowly till you get to grips with it. Cheers!
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
KailM

Not to be a Metallica fanatic or anything, but their first 4 albums are pretty damn thrashy if you ask me, especially Ride the Lightening and And Justice for All. Great, great stuff for learning thrash techniques such as palm muted downpicking and some alt. picked galloping. I don't understand the hate for them, honestly. They can play right up there with anybody else...

It's not the same as Slayer's thrash playing but it is thrash nonetheless. My recommendation would be to learn the songs on RtL and AJFA, as well as Slayer's Reign in Blood album and you'll be set.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
Not to be a Metallica fanatic or anything, but their first 4 albums are pretty damn thrashy if you ask me, especially Ride the Lightening and And Justice for All. Great, great stuff for learning thrash techniques such as palm muted downpicking and some alt. picked galloping. I don't understand the hate for them, honestly. They can play right up there with anybody else...

It's not the same as Slayer's thrash playing but it is thrash nonetheless. My recommendation would be to learn the songs on RtL and AJFA, as well as Slayer's Reign in Blood album and you'll be set.

I forgot this, my favorite thrash album together with rust in peace.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
cgmetallica1981
BOBROVSKY

Quote:
To get good at something, you practice it. If you want to learn how to play fast thrash riffs, you find thrash riffs you like and you practice them. If he wants to learn to play riffs similar to the ones he mentioned, then the best thing he (or anyone in any situation vaguely like this)can do is to find the bits he wants to play, isolate them, and learn to play them.

What I was saying was that to to get good at playing thrash riffs you don't necessarily have to learn by playing thrash riffs. I learned by playing songs that had fast alternating between palm-muting and clean notes (I don't recall the term) like Cannibal Corpse's debut album.

Quote:

What? Kill 'em All is easily more "thrashy" than both Ride and Justice. The problem with learning Metallica songs for palm-muting is that the majority of the riffs are actually fairly slow and don't really have much alternate picking (even most that sound like they do don't such as Blackened, because James primarily down-picks). I know Battery and Master (as another user mentioned) have gallops, and about half of the Kill 'em All album and Fight Fire with Fire have fast alternate picking. One has alternate picking at the "Darkness" part, but that doesn't really help because it's mostly palm-muting. The one that I would think would help a lot though is Dyers Eve.

On another note The Legacy by Testament is great, fast paced thrash album and pretty much all the songs would help with palm-muting.

Last edited by cgmetallica1981 : 07-22-2011 at 10:59 AM.
cgmetallica1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
hr113

Quote:

they cant play right up there with anybody else. Technically they're not up to par with crapload of metal bands. Altho AJFA and self titled were cool

from metallica catalogue look at AJFA songs, their most complex stuff

try some early Nevermore - No More Will, The fault of the Flesh, This Sacrament, Next in Line (The Politics of Ecstacy and Dreaming Neon Black)
Some early death metal will do good too, very similar to thrash.
Morbid Angel - Immoral rites, chapel of ghouls (pretty much everything from altars of madness)

Death - everything up to symbolic
and pay taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.

Last edited by hr113 : 07-22-2011 at 11:09 AM.
hr113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr113
they cant play right up there with anybody else. Technically they're not up to par with crapload of metal bands. Altho AJFA and self titled were cool

To each his own I guess. I don't reserve judgment for a band until I see them live. I've been listening to Metallica since around 1989 and they got me into metal. Since then, I've listened to just about everything metal has to offer, and I'm a big fan of a lot of different metal bands and genres within metal. I've seen a lot of these bands live as well. Just a couple years ago, I finally got to see Metallica. As mainstream as they are and as much hate as they recieve - I have to say they flat out KILLED IT; playing all their old songs without missing a note. Having seen Megadeth as well, I have to say Metallica blew them away. I can honestly say I haven't seen a band yet that has put out a 'better' show. Opeth was close...

But I digress. Enough thread derailing.

Just practice the songs you like to hear, and all will be good.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2

Last edited by KailM : 07-22-2011 at 11:34 AM.
KailM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
Geldin

Quote:
What I was saying was that to to get good at playing thrash riffs you don't necessarily have to learn by playing thrash riffs. I learned by playing songs that had fast alternating between palm-muting and clean notes (I don't recall the term) like Cannibal Corpse's debut album.

What? Kill 'em All is easily more "thrashy" than both Ride and Justice. The problem with learning Metallica songs for palm-muting is that the majority of the riffs are actually fairly slow and don't really have much alternate picking (even most that sound like they do don't such as Blackened, because James primarily down-picks). I know Battery and Master (as another user mentioned) have gallops, and about half of the Kill 'em All album and Fight Fire with Fire have fast alternate picking. One has alternate picking at the "Darkness" part, but that doesn't really help because it's mostly palm-muting. The one that I would think would help a lot though is Dyers Eve.

To the first:
That's cool. I'd imagine that you learned those songs by preference as much as for technique.

To the second:
The Metallica songs I can think of off the top of my head with more extensive palm muting:
-Dyer's Eve
-One (the heavy bit, that is)
-Fight Fire
-Blackened
-Battery
-Disposable Heroes
-Damage Inc
-Trapped Under Ice
-Creeping Death
Some of those have faster sixteenth note bits, but they focus mostly on downpicking. That's just as important a skill (if not more so) than sixteenth note patterns, so I'd take a look at those if Metallica is to your taste.

If you're into AILD, there are some songs on An Ocean Between Us that would be helpful with faster palm muted sections:
-An Ocean Between Us
-Nothing Left
-Bury Us All
-Wrath Upon Ourselves
-The Sound of Truth
-This is Who We Are

Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
hr113

Quote:
To each his own I guess. I don't reserve judgment for a band until I see them live. I've been listening to Metallica since around 1989 and they got me into metal. Since then, I've listened to just about everything metal has to offer, and I'm a big fan of a lot of different metal bands and genres within metal. I've seen a lot of these bands live as well. Just a couple years ago, I finally got to see Metallica. As mainstream as they are and as much hate as they recieve - I have to say they flat out KILLED IT; playing all their old songs without missing a note. Having seen Megadeth as well, I have to say Metallica blew them away. I can honestly say I haven't seen a band yet that has put out a 'better' show. Opeth was close...

But I digress. Enough thread derailing.

Just practice the songs you like to hear, and all will be good.

Seen 'tallica live too, last time was two years ago i think. They play their stuff good (Exept solos, kirk manages to mess them up as simple as they are), because its very simple, but i like James' voice now more than his yearly years (scratch AJFA period).
Black metal bands usually put much better shows, not only play well but put theatrical preformance as well. But you might not be fond of black metal.

Lets just say that there are better bands than Metallica in all senses, nothing wrong with liking them tho.

Sorry for derailing this thread even more, i shall stop now
and pay taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
hr113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
LittleRockJams

Best thing that usually helps me is to listen to one band for quite awhile, and try to emulate their "sound". Say we take Megadeth, I don't try to learn just one song and try to master it, that takes forever and unless you know why they're playing something in that scale, it gets you nowhere. Just try to listen to a buttload of their riffs and see how they palm mute, on where their progressions change, and just what makes Megadeth, Megadeth. Soon enough you can really do it for any band, and it really helps you get certain styles nailed.

http://blog.littlerockjams.com
LittleRockJams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
hansome21
UG Fanatic

Quote:

Rofl, why would anyone want cannibal corpse to teach them anything? No offense, but don't they just tremelo pick and blast beat every note of every song and talk about raping lifeless cadavers? It's funny but its not good at all, sorry.

Metallica/Megadeth pretty much invented thrash (or at least brought it out of the club scene), so I don't see how they could be a "bad example" for learning thrash.
hansome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: